Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mouse in the house

Sestock

I have a field mouse in my house. The only good thing is that the kittens are finally earning their keep. They have had the mouse trapped under the stove for the last 4 hours. They are hovering and will not leave the kitchen. Everytime the mouse trys to get out they pounce at him.

How long can a mouse survive without food or water? Maybe the mouse will die of a heart attack :rolleyes:

Edited by Sestock

I chased one ...one time at a lake house all the way to water = it went in the water and swam away like a little motor boat. when I through rock at it = It dove under water and swam a side ways direction to throw me off. but the water was clear and I could watch it. We became friends after that, he was just too smart and stayed outside.

When I was in college our Fraternity house had an infestation of chipmunks. We gave the pledges a bb gun and made them stand watch over some pizza crusts we left out in the middle of one of party rooms. After 24 hours they had bagged four chipmunks.

The best mouse trap is the Mice Cube, which is available at Wally World too. I had a mouse in the house about 2 months ago, and after I caught the 1st one I just assumed I had more, so I left the traps out but never caught (or saw) another single mouse.

By the way recent studies show that not only will a mouse die from lack of food or water, but also from a lack of sleep. So maybe your cats can work different shifts to keep him up all night!

I live with many cats. Not too long ago a mouse found its way into the house via a box of Christmas decorations that had been stored in the shop. It provided much entertainment for the younger cats that had not been taught the proper ways of dispatching mice and who thought Santa had arrived with their latest supply of cat toys a bit early. Then the older cat woke up from her nap, wandered over to said mouse, killed it and slurped it down. Mmmmm....Crunchy.

And then she got a dose of wormer, which she also thinks is delicious.

They are being very persistant about getting the mouse. These pictures were taken about 4 hours apart.

Everytime the mouse trys to get out, they jump head first into the stove. It made sleeping last night kind of difficult.

post-3985-1205951604.jpg

post-3985-1205951616.jpg

They are being very persistant about getting the mouse. These pictures were taken about 4 hours apart.

Everytime the mouse trys to get out, they jump head first into the stove. It made sleeping last night kind of difficult.

What ! That looks like my kitchen every fall. Why are they always under the stove ? Every fall the field mice come

in right as it starts to get cold. After a week or two of mouse murder they dont show up till next yeaq again. Tips from

lots of expirience :

I use conventional traps with "cheese", American or Munster. Trick is to set a trap with cheese and then

a second trap backed up 1" away from first with no bait (business end to business end) in case they try to back up real fast. :lol: trust me, it works!!

do not use peanut butter, somehow those bastards can get all the peanut butter off(even inside the metal roll) without

tripping the trap everytime !!

After a good kill I show my Tomcat the trophy at which time he looks at me as if I'M God. Defenitly the leader of the pack!!

I have had this occupy a lot of my time as you can see !!! :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

While they wait out there for him, he's chewing a tiny hole in the wall or baseboards, just enough to get his head in, and then he is gone to flank them and surprise the cats!

Sestock

Consider yourself lucky it isn't a mouse with wings. We had 4 night time "bats flying through the house" events one summer.

My 100 year old home has post and beam construction with 24" exposed beams....and a 20' living room ceiling...During all four "attacks" I had a bat flying through the house and my two siamese cats jumping from beam to beam... and often from beam to floor trying to catch the flying mouse... woke me up. Obviously lamps and other home furnishings died and it was a noisy affair

It was exciting... but not a summer I'd want to live over. A .177 caliber pellet gun with only 1 or 2 pumps of pressure will bring them down... and not over penetrate....... when they finally land and give you a shot.

Then there was the blood on the off white carpet that we had to deal with. :angry2:

The "wingless" versions are much easier to deal with.

I would venture a guess as to why they are under the stove is because of the crumbs of food. <_<

Nope, its pretty clean under there. The mouse came in through the garage when I was bringing grocerys in.

They just cornered the mouse under there, and he is trapped.

In my last house I woke up to go the bathroom and saw the cats playing withone of their toys. I looked at it and picked it up, remarking that the mice toys my wife had bought were pretty realistic.

Then it kicked and tried to jump out of my hand.

What I did afterwards was likely a youtube moment.

Ted

We ocassionally get a mouse or two inside the house...still haven't figured out how they get in. Our 2 cats just watch them. I use the regular mouse traps with cheese or stickey paper to catch them.

I was told recently to use "Oil of Pepermint" (purchased at a health food store) and saturate a piece of cloth or cotton and put it in an area where you don't want mice. The party that told me about this trick lives in the country and had mice problems before using oil of pepermint, now almost none.

Well, one of the kittens came running into the living room with the mouse in her mouth. She proceeded to drop it and the mouse ran back under the stove.

But, good news. The mouse is dead.

Introducing, Jumbo the mousekiller. As you can tell he is worn out by his vigil, he is back to sleeping 20 hours a day.

post-3985-1206040319.jpg