Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Never ever, ever, ever do this.

Bigbadaboom

After 8+ years of shooting this sport you'ld think I would have learned and the truth is I haven't done it in probably 5 years but there I was shooting heads up in the Florida Open Shoot Off for all the marbles, I draw and shoot the front big popper, stick a perfect reload and as the mag is inserting into the magwell I see that grey M&P mag follower. "CRAP that mag is empty" as it clicks into place so I stick another perfect reload but that ain't going to cut it when you are shooting against someone as good as Kevin. Second run I had no excuse I just missed my first shot at the stop popper and Kevin didn't but I'ld sure like to know what would have happened if I hadn't caught such a bad case of sphincter-noggin.

I can show you the chew marks on my liver caused by that one. Saw the SA Champ do it once, fired two shots and reloaded again. Still beat me by a wide margin. He saw that the bottom witness hole was not brass as the mag went in and reloaded sooner as not to run out. Everyone just thought it was one of Alex`s strange plans.

I think everyone does it at least once, almost lie not making sure you have a round in the chamber.

Now this brings back memories. Not really good ones, but certainly entertaining ones for the other members of my squad.

Nationals in Barry about three-four years back. Hotter than Hades. I finished shooting, stuck my mmags in my belt and went back to videoing the remainder of my squad. At the next stage, I videoed till one shooter before me. Ran through my plan, went to the line, Shot the first couple steels and a DT really nice. the steels activated three sliders, thankfuly disappearing, I reloaded, or rather saw that Mag 1 was empty, grabbed 2, tossed it, grabed 3 and maybe 4 before I got a full one. Of course by then 30 easy points had slid out of sight and my squadmates were nearly rolling in the dirt laughing.

EMPTY MAGS GO IN THE BAG, NOT ON THE BELT!!!!!

In fact all mags com e off the belt and get half dumped or full dumped, then reloaded for the next stage. I won't go so far as to say it will never happen again, but it is certainly a memory that will stick.

Jim

Edited by Jim Norman

Here's a fun variation of that. Running to the last box to shoot a Texas Star. As I slap a new magazine in it has that way too light feeling. :surprise: By this time I am in the box. Do I do a standing reload or hope that I have enough good karma in the bank to have enough rounds for the star?? Gave it a go and came up one short. That star can get some nice movement going while you sit there and do a reload! Lesson learned..... Hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel your pain! (and witnessed it!) I did the same thing at the limited Nationals last year (2007.) It cost me about a lot of places in the match. fired mags ALWAYS go in my pocket and NEVER back in my belt now.

I got distracted talking to someone before my turn on a stage. As I was running the COF, I grabbed a mag off my belt, thought to myself as I was ramming it home....hmm, that feels a little light, saw it was empty, and finnished the reload anyways! Had to drop the mag and reload again. The laughter was deafening. NEVER put a used mag back in the belt....a lesson well learned that day.

my first couple of matches i didnt quite get the whole barney mag thing and would end up putting it in my last mag pouch....then on the last stage of a match when i did a reload and it went empty after a couple of shots i had a moment of clarity and insight and figured out what was goin on i also noticed i have a habit of grabing my rearward mags first...nothin but full mags on the belt from then on out

• 3 weeks later...

Been there done that!

At a recent match, i followed my usual routine of used mags in pockets, straight back to the range bag to reload after the stage, then back on the belt.

The procedure broke down when, a couple of shooters before i was up, i got taken away for a chrono spot check. Passed fine, and stupidly returned the chrono mag to my belt.

Of course, luck would have it that i started the stage off well, smoking run, but as i stepped out to engage a swinger, *click*!!!

ALWAYS CHECK THE MAGS!!! :P

I have done that to myself too. Personal rule, no mags in the belt unless they are full. At the end of every stage, I unload, stick the mag in my pocket, show clear, hammer down and holster. I am sure it has happened to all of us at one time or another.

cooter 79 wrote:

Well, lookie, lookie, cooter's got himself a hatcam. Cool!

As far as the mag thing goes.... I did it..

Last Sunday.

LOL, kinda.

Who knew it would take 6 seconds to dig my barney mag out of my pocket?

cooter 79 wrote:

Well, lookie, lookie, cooter's got himself a hatcam. Cool!

As far as the mag thing goes.... I did it..

Last Sunday.

LOL, kinda.

Who knew it would take 6 seconds to dig my barney mag out of my pocket?

Yeppers, Just gotta get out and use it more to learn my errors besides the ones I know of already

• 1 month later...
Been there-done that.. <_<

Here too. Two things I've learned while shooting stages. No sound is as loud as an empty chamber and you hearing *CLICK*. Nothing is as light as an empty magazine. I need to dig up a video I have of me shooting a classifier and having to dump two empty mags until I found one I had loaded.....

• 3 weeks later...

I have not done it, yet. I try and check all mags, 1911, for bullets forward and all full just before "load and make ready" I'll wait my turn until it's a bigger shoot :-)

I did watch a friend shoot a stage with 1 mag too few on his belt once..........

Tony