Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Never ever, ever, ever do this.

Bigbadaboom

sigh, I've been hit on this too. I now make it a point to not leave a stage until I've reloaded all my mags (and cleaned them now too as the Tan is a finicky little beast). Nothing worse then getting all rushed at the next stage and forgetting to top up mags. Now all mags get emptied, cleaned and reloaded.

When shooting in line here is what I practice religiously:

1) Turn on the dot and take sight picture.

2) Check all mags and make sure all 3 are full.

3) Insert full mag from my pocket

4) Reherse the stage in my head

5) Relax and shoot!

I have caught my self on all categories! no dot, empty mags or shot rounds, no rehersals etc....if so, I tell the RO I'm not ready!

Edited by shooterbenedetto

• 1 month later...

I did this twice in one Area match... What can I say.. I am a slow learner.

My rule is all mags that are on the ground stay in my hands until I get back to my range bag, the mag in the gun at the end of the stage I simply let drop to the ground at "unload show clear". I will pick everything up after. After all stages all mags, used or not come off the belt and get checked and topped off, and Barney mag stays in my pocket. But I usually top this one off as well.

I am determined not to do that ever again.

Yup. First match I ever shot I somehow ended up with a partial mag on the belt. Since I shoot production and only have hi-cap mags, I cannot just top them off. A friend told me to take my time after a stage and unload all the mags and reload them from an ammo box making sure there was exactly 10 rounds in each mag. Advice I wish I had before the fubar.

I did that once. I shoot SS so I carry six mags plus one in the gun. It was my third or fourth USPSA match ever and I had a Barney mag with 5 rounds in the rearmost mag holder behind my back. I was coming up to the last array of targets requiring 7 rounds consisting of a standard target and a pepper popper activator that activated two standard pop ups that you could shoot quickly before no shoots popped up leaving only the head exposed. I shot everything fine until I go to slidelock and have to do a standing reload with 1 round left in the COF. :angry: Of course by the time I reload the no shoot is up and I have to shoot the head. Needless to say I now keep my Barney mag in my back pocket.

Just did this at the Pro-Am :angry:

It happened on the tie-breaker stage too no less. 16 poppers, 10rnds in each mag. I was only going to walk up there with 3, but reminded myself to 'always do the usual'. So I load up the rest of my mags and wait for my turn. I go, burn through the first mag, reload, burn through the second, but threw some wild shots at the last popper, so I had to reload again, go to slam the mag in, but I clearly saw gray follower! $hit! dump it and grab another mag, get the shot and the hit and commence hanging my head in shame.

It's all on video too - click on Dave in my sig and check out the Dave Pro-Am video...

I did even worse at the Production Nationals in Tulsa. I shot first on a stage, then rotated down to last on the next stage. Lots of time before I shot the next stage. Reloaded all the mags, including 11 rounds in the barney mag I carry in my pocket to "load and make ready." No sense carrying all that weight of 4 loaded mags on my belt until the last of the next stage, so I pocket the barney and lay the rest on the range bag. You guessed it! On the next stage, load the barney from my pocket, the first 8 rounds go great, drop the barney and reach for a reload. My arms just won't quite reach back to the range bag. Talk about the Dumb Ass! I'd have given anything for a belt full of partial loaded mags.

Bruce