Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Hot Ticket for Production

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am buying a Glock 17 so I can shoot Production and GSSF. A Glock 34 would work just as well, but it would change the eligible divisions in GSSF.

To answer your question about the hot ticket. If I were buying a pistol strictly for Production my choices in order would be:

1. CZ SP-01 Shadow

2. Springfield XD five inch in 9mm.

3. Glock 34.

Also in the running would be the M&P Tactical, but I would have to take one on a test drive first. I would buy the CZ sight unseen (on recommendations and reputation) and I have never even handled the SP-01. I shot Production for a short time with a CZ 75B, with the only changes being different grips, removal of the magazine brake, and a lighter main spring. When I stopped shooting the gun, my classifier per centage was 94.70%. I wonder... if I would have had a better gun, would I have made GM with less practice? :unsure:

Everyone has their preferences, but if you go to a large match, the majority will be shooting Glocks in Production or SSP in IDPA. Next will be M&Ps and XDs, (about equal as far as I can tell). CZ is proably next with a mix of whatever after that. This is by no means a reflection on the quality of the guns mentioned, it's just the way it is.

I think some of the reasons are:

Glocks are very reliable and well priced.

Patrs are plentiful and reasonably priced.

If you have even a small amount of mechanical ability, you will never have to send a Glock out for anything. (related to production class)

Glock is the hot ticket at present, not necessarily the best ticket for everyone though.

Rik

PS. lets not forget to mention the G35 loaded down to minor. 130PF and a 15# recoil spring in that caliber feels pretty close to perfect to me.

I bought a 35 for that exact reason and one more...

After a "Rob" trigger job, 3.5 disconnect, stormlake barrel, dawson adj./F/O sights and erics grip tape, I bought a magwell and a extended mag release should I need a backup limited gun.

Curious as to why there is such a big gotta have factor to the 5inch M&P?

I understand the longer sight radius, however unlike the Glock it doesn't look like on the M&P that Smith did any reduction in the weight of the slide. Nor did they add any additional competition features like extended mag release and slide release (not that it is needed).

Now this is not bashing the M&P, I am planning on getting one, but a standard 9mm to me is good enough and the extra lenght and weight is not needed.

5" - well, it's just longer :D I don't think it'll make a huge/any difference, but I still feel the need to have one :D

If you look very closely at the pics, and from what a few folks in the know have said, they did narrow the slide significantly to reduce weight - if you look at my avatar photo, the black regions on the slide are narrower on the L and Pro - hard to describe...

CZ-SP01 Custom from Angus Hobdell. The pistol itself is a dream, and as soon as I figure out my magazine/feeding issues it'll be a nice one. <_< I really appreciate the heft and longer sight radius over the other 2 pistols I have shot in Production.

I wouldn't say no to a 5" M&P either, as my M&P .40 tricked out for Limited is the most reliable pistol I own...it just plain RUNS.

1. CZ SP-01 Shadow

3. Glock 34.

That's the pecking order of my choice as well. I'll have to try both the SP-01 and the XD but I think the nod goes to the feel of steel.

I forgot about your wheel gun habit. You will be quite comfortable with the SP-01. We'll see about setting you up next week for a trial match at Norco.

I have many production guns I'll trade for your limited sitting in the safe.

Hi Charles, welcome to the forum! On that limited gun, I have a feeling that Ralph may quote that "cold, dead hands" clause...

Later,

Chuck

1. CZ SP-01 Shadow

3. Glock 34.

That's the pecking order of my choice as well. I'll have to try both the SP-01 and the XD but I think the nod goes to the feel of steel.

I forgot about your wheel gun habit. You will be quite comfortable with the SP-01. We'll see about setting you up next week for a trial match at Norco.

I have many production guns I'll trade for your limited sitting in the safe.

Hi Charles, welcome to the forum! On that limited gun, I have a feeling that Ralph may quote that "cold, dead hands" clause...

Later,

Chuck

"Don't even get me started". Have to taske this weekend off but I'll be at Norco tomorrow. Enjoy the Speed Shoot at Prado gonna miss that one too.

IPSC

Glock 34 is not a PD legal gun in IPSC, for the simple fact that it's too long.

Hope the M&P9L or M&P9Pro, make it onto the approved list. I read that, one of the 2 models may have a sub 5lb. trigger pull? Not PD legal. Fingers crossed.

IPSC

Glock 34 is not a PD legal gun in IPSC, for the simple fact that it's too long.

Hope the M&P9L or M&P9Pro, make it onto the approved list. I read that, one of the 2 models may have a sub 5lb. trigger pull? Not PD legal. Fingers crossed.

But it is for USPSA and IDPA, which is what the OP shoots.