Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Hot Ticket for Production

If you like polymer guns, but prefer the lighter trigger pulls of the 1911, seriously look at the new STI GP6.

I'm on my second Grand Power gun. I traded my older K100 for the new STI branded model, and WOW is it slick. The origional was swell, but the new GP6 is just awesome.

If you can find someone with one close to you, beg a test drive and see for yourself.

The upcoming GP6-C should be a real treat with better sights and better safetys. I've upgraded my sights to the fiber optic front and Dynamic rear, but will probably not worry about the safetys. Since I shoot production and never use them, It's not a priority for me. (May change my mind when I try them)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious as to why there is such a big gotta have factor to the 5inch M&P?

I understand the longer sight radius, however unlike the Glock it doesn't look like on the M&P that Smith did any reduction in the weight of the slide.

This isn't true. S&W did alot more than just cut away metal. I have both the 4.25" gun AND the 5" Pro (and the 5" 9L). If you compare them side by side you can see right away where the weight reduction is. The Pro and 9L slide is redesigned and is noticeably narrower than the standard slide. Weight on a standard M&P is 24oz...the 5" gun is 26oz, (a difference of 2 oz.) A 9L with the 5" barrel is 25.2oz. (a difference of 1.2 oz). Compare that with the weight of a 34 vs a 17 which is about 1 oz...the weight reduction is there, you just don't notice a big hole in the slide, pretty slick if you ask me.

The pro also comes with a better trigger and competition sights than the standard gun.

Edited by Filishooter

Curious as to why there is such a big gotta have factor to the 5inch M&P?

I understand the longer sight radius, however unlike the Glock it doesn't look like on the M&P that Smith did any reduction in the weight of the slide.

This isn't true. S&W did alot more than just cut away metal. I have both the 4.25" gun AND the 5" Pro (and the 5" 9L). If you compare them side by side you can see right away where the weight reduction is. The Pro and 9L slide is redesigned and is noticeably narrower than the standard slide. Weight on a standard M&P is 24oz...the 5" gun is 26oz, (a difference of 2 oz.) A 9L with the 5" barrel is 25.2oz. (a difference of 1.2 oz). Compare that with the weight of a 34 vs a 17 which is about 1 oz...the weight reduction is there, you just don't notice a big hole in the slide, pretty slick if you ask me.

The pro also comes with a better trigger and competition sights than the standard gun.

I've only shot standard M&P's a little bit, but I just got a Pro and I really like the way it balances. To me, that's more important than an ounce or two in weight. R,

Glock 34, never lets me down. What I like the best about Glock is accessories are everywhere and affordable. What ever gun you choose just get out and shoot, in the end it's not about what kind of gun you shoot, it's how you shoot.

I've got a Beretta 92 Brigadier, two CZ-75Bs, and M&Ps in 9x19 and .40, and they all work fine for Production. They're all 100% where it matters - every time I pull the trigger, they go bang and the bullet goes where the front sight is. The Beretta probably gets the most use, since I have eight 10 round mags for it, so I don't feel bad about downloading the standard capacity mags. ;)

XDM

HOLY crap! That took 4 pages! The XDm 9 should be way up there.

I'm trying to justify a want of a gun for which I have no need. So if more people tell me that the XDM is the greatest thing since smokeless powder, I just might have to get one.

XDM

I'm trying to justify a want of a gun for which I have no need. So if more people tell me that the XDM is the greatest thing since smokeless powder, I just might have to get one.

Okay, it is the hottest thing since sliced bread if you want to have to buy a new holster, and magazine pouches too. Seriously, it is cool, but it isn’t all that.

Shameless plug,

XD 5" any caliber.

Rich

I know this post is pretty old, but I'm just reading the thread and a BIG +1 on "XD 5" (tactical)" !

I've tried all my friends' guns, and they've tried mine, and most anyone who tries my XD loves it and says "should have gotten that"... has a Canyon Creek trigger job (4# competition), TruGlo fiber optic sights (red front, green back), extended mag release & slide release, 16# recoil spring.

XDM

Okay, it is the hottest thing since sliced bread if you want to have to buy a new holster, and magazine pouches too. Seriously, it is cool, but it isn’t all that.

XD 5in 9mm. with work done By Rich. to me is much better the XDM the capacity does not make any difference and accuracy is better on XD and after shooting them side by side I will keep my XD all the way. In .40 XDM is 1st choice.

• 6 months later...
XDM

I think the XDm comes w/ holster and mag pouch in the case.

XDM

I think the XDm comes w/ holster and mag pouch in the case.

It does. All XDs come with a holster and mag pouch. It might not be the ideal holster for competition, but it would get you started.

I finally got a chance to shoot an XDM-9 after handling them in the store every day for 10 months or so. A guy brought one to a match and was letting a couple of us shoot it after the match.

If I was going to spend much time shooting Production Division, I'd get the XDM-9. No doubt about it.

(I've determined that it's my personal preference. I'm not saying that's what everyone else should be shooting.)

Edited by mgood

Smith & Wesson M&P 9L for me. Switching to it next year from a couple years of shooting Limited and the last 2 years of shooting Open. Should be quite the change....

Just picked it up and still in the process of developing a load for it, but so far NO issues at all. Don Shipp did the trigger job and it is JUST LIKE shooting either of my limited or open pistols. He did an incredible job.

Should be a fun year in 2010. I'll be headed to the US Production Challenge Stephen is putting on in Tulsa. Yeehaw!

• 1 month later...

Everybody seems to love their CZ SP-01s, but another CZ that is great for Production is the CZ-85 Combat. It comes stock without a firing pin safety. Add a hard sear and competition hammer, switch to a 15# hammer spring, and a little polishing and you are good to go with a really sweet trigger and short reset. It is also lighter than the SP-01, so there are no problems with the IDPA SSP weight limit.