Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's your favorite AR mag coupler for 3G?

cryptoprocta

Mag-Cinch, the new Blackhawk, just go beta, get a 40/45 rounder, etc., etc., etc.?? What's a fella to do?

Lots to choose from.... I'm running a mag-cinch right now, but I have to stay on top of strap tension and making sure the mags remain staggered properly. Is there a better mousetrap?

School me on this one (and save me several hundred dollars and time in trial-and-error), oh mighty and wise 3G Jedis.......

Metal no name I bought at the local gun show..... The plastic ones might have a lifetime warranty but when they crap on you in the middle of a match the warranty does little to salve the hurt....

+ 1 on the non staggered mags. A pair of cinched 30 round mags make an excellent "bipod" to shoot off of.

Metal no name I bought at the local gun show..... The plastic ones might have a lifetime warranty but when they crap on you in the middle of a match the warranty does little to salve the hurt....

+ 1 on the non staggered mags. A pair of cinched 30 round mags make an excellent "bipod" to shoot off of.

Merlin....great minds (or sick) think alike! :cheers:

This http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=17844&st=mag%20coupler&s= is the one I've been using. It's plastic, but I've had no problems. And, being plastic, it conforms a little to the ridges in my P-Mags. I use to use this one http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=16717&title=AR-15%20MAG%20GRIP?, it's made of metal and very durable, but I found (the hard way - at a match) that if you tighten it just a little too much it will distort aluminum mags and cause feeding failures. If you tighten it just not quite enough the mags don't stay put and slide up and down.

And yes, do not stagger the mags, they make a great rest! I tried to use staggered mags as a rest once, and it (predictably) didn't work!

Mag-Grip is great. It's made from aluminum with a socket-head cap screw to maintain tension. It's durable and solid. Last thing you want is any slippage when you're trying to slam a reload (I've had that experiance with the mag-cinch on M1A mags). Blackhawk has a plastic mag-coupler that mounts the left hand mag a little higher than the right which gives you access to the mag-release button with the left mag inserted (Ony problem is it mounts the mag's too close together to use a magwell).

I bring 3 double-mag setups (plus some single 30 & 40 rd. mag.s) so I have the flexibility to get support with various shooting positions and port/prop designs.

1) 2ea. 20 rd. mag.s with the mag-grip and Arredondo bases.

2) 2ea. 30 rd. mag.s with Arredondo coupler and bases.

3) 2ea. 30 rd. mags with the Blackhawk coupler.

There was a stage (Heart Attack Hill) at last year's RM3G that had prone shooting position through a small port very close to the ground. The pair of 20's was the ticket. Stage 2 at the same match had 2 prone positions shooting down across a small valley at targets to 500 yd.s. The Blackhawk setup worked great on that stage.

Edited by Blockhead

I use a cheap stamped metal coupler from Sportsman guide. Hold the mags staggered, and with a little electrical tape works great.

I am to big to get the mags down in the dirt for using as a bipod most of the time, so I think the staggered mags make for a faster reload.

I use one of these:

Link

It is all metal construction and doesn't damage the magazines but does put a death grip on them. I'm sure you can damage the mags if you tighten them more than you really need to. My friend and I have tried Arredondo's and we both had similar results - the mags slip no matter how much you tighten them. This is not cool when you're expecting a rock solid bipod and having to deal with a wobble. Yes, I also set the magazines at the same level. I only use this combo when going prone or if I shoot a stage where they expect you to do a "Tactical Reload". Most of the time I use the 40 or 45 rounder, and on the rare occasion, I've used my Beta mag.

I use one of these:

Link

It is all metal construction and doesn't damage the magazines but does put a death grip on them. I'm sure you can damage the mags if you tighten them more than you really need to. My friend and I have tried Arredondo's and we both had similar results - the mags slip no matter how much you tighten them. This is not cool when you're expecting a rock solid bipod and having to deal with a wobble. Yes, I also set the magazines at the same level. I only use this combo when going prone or if I shoot a stage where they expect you to do a "Tactical Reload". Most of the time I use the 40 or 45 rounder, and on the rare occasion, I've used my Beta mag.

I uses the mag grip as well for work and play, never had probs with it. Just plain works.

CAA M16 Mag Coupler and 40 round Magazines.

It is kind of floppy.. If I find a good coupler made of some metal that is stiff. I would gladly give it a try.

+ One more on the non stager.

I used to be one of those. Prone purists until the guys whopping my butt were putting their magazines in the dirt no penalty for doing so. And I’m on board Mag Poding.

Jim M ammo

• 5 months later...

CAA which I only have used in 2 matches with basically the exact same stage setup/procedure(shoot 6 reload shoot 6) then repeat in a second string. That is the only time I ever use the mag coupler. Short stages-30 round pmag, long stages 45 round suddendeath mag or the beta mag.

Drums, I have a 90 MWG and a Beta C, Don't use either anymore. Plenty reliable, never had a problem. Just never need it anymore.

Pair of cinched 40's do most of my work, love the arrendondo cinches. They are not offset.

Have an offset mag coupler that slides onto the bottom of mags, i.e. there can be zero slippage, I like this set up. It would be in my SHTF bag, if I had one.