Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Todd Jarrett and 1000 rounds

Matt Cheely

When I took a class with Manny, I used 2 guns because they would become too hot to handle after several hundred consecutive rounds, and we shot barely more than 1,000 rounds in a day. Even is cold weather, that gun must have been insanely hot.

I'm an engineer, and I was envisioning setting up a stream of liquid nitrogen vapor that he could extend the gun into as he shoots to drop the temp when it got too hot.

Did anybody else notice how many reload insertions he hosed up at the first part of the shooting? I was wondering why he doesn't rotate the magwell up where he can see it and then "look" the mag into the well to avoid the fumbling?

Edited by bountyhunter

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess you can do that when you have an ammo sponsor.

My burning question was, why not have all 1000 rounds pre-loaded, not like he could not have come up with enough magazines?

Exactly!

I wouldn't think that getting 100 10 round mags pre-loaded.. would be that big a deal..

I was also surprised at the sloppy reloads at the beginning.. still better than I do, but for him..

I also.. thought the whole thing was a little pointless.. lol

pointless..exactly..I think they were just having fun..shooting a 1000 rounds..nothing serious about trying to set a record..its just a number they put out there..for fun..

the bigger deal..its an endorsement of that particular gun...

TJ..shot a 1000 rounds out of a stock Para 1911 without failure in a short period of time.

MB states his opinion that if a gun is going to fail it will be caused by heat..what better way...

I was also surprised at the sloppy reloads at the beginning.. still better than I do, but for him..

What surprised me is that he is just using bad technique for that gun: on a single stack gun (with no funnel-mouth magwell) you really have to rotate the bottom up slightly and guide the mag down from above so you can see the opening of the magwell.

On the double-stacks which have a tapered top magazine you can just ram them in blind from below as he was trying to do, because the taper at the top will nearly always go in. SS mags have to line up exactly or they catch an edge and hang up. It almost looked like he forgot the gun he was shooting was a single stack and was using the wrong technique.

Edited by bountyhunter

pointless..exactly..I think they were just having fun..shooting a 1000 rounds..nothing serious about trying to set a record..its just a number they put out there..for fun..

TJ..shot a 1000 rounds out of a stock Para 1911 without failure in a short period of time.

MB states his opinion that if a gun is going to fail it will be caused by heat..what better way...

The engineer in me would have liked to see an Rc hardness reading taken on the barrel before and after to see how much it "detempered" from the heating.

The engineer in me would have liked to see an Rc hardness reading taken on the barrel before and after to see how much it "detempered" from the heating.

thats what would interest me..from the geek side of me..how and if dimensions changes, if the tempering changed on the various parts..

if you are looking to go buy your first 1911 ...this is pretty good stuff..you just watch the gun go through 1000rounds with no malfunction of any kind..

Ok.. torture test..

But I want to see a 25 yard (from a rest) before and after..

I thought it was some record just shootnig 1,000.. but 1,000 into a berm didn't seem that big a deal. It didnt have to be Jarrett to do that..

Unless, it was some record of 1,000 into the A Zone or something..

What surprised me is that he is just using bad technique for that gun: on a single stack gun (with no funnel-mouth magwell) you really have to rotate the bottom up slightly and guide the mag down from above so you can see the opening of the magwell.

On the double-stacks which have a tapered top magazine you can just ram them in blind from below as he was trying to do, because the taper at the top will nearly always go in. SS mags have to line up exactly or they catch an edge and hang up. It almost looked like he forgot the gun he was shooting was a single stack and was using the wrong technique.

Maybe if you call TJ up and offer him a lesson, he'll take you up on it :ph34r:

Speaking for someone who was present at this torture test, I can tell you that it definitely wasn't "pointless". I think it was a perfect way to show the reliability and functionality of this Para 1911. Yes, of course it was somewhat for fun and laughs, however it was not as simple as it looked - shooting 1000 rounds in just over 10 minutes was not only a huge strain on the gun, but also on the operator. But the gun made it with Zero malfunctions...wow. And as for the missed reloads... I don't care who you are, 37 degree windy weather and roughly 125 reloads, you're going to miss a few...big deal. Since nothing like this had been done before, we didn't know that 3 mag loaders and 24 mags couldn't keep up with Todd' finger :) Obviously his loads must have been pretty good overall..

I know I am biased, but I certainly was impressed to see someone be able to make a firearm function under that type of stress and see that gun hold up and still be so accurate. Check out the attached target shot with that gun post-torture test. I am quite proud of Todd and Para-USA and the others involved in this test. Overall, it was a fun and informative test of the gun...that's what the goal was. Michael & crew did a great job. :)

Rebecca

post-6327-1200700085.jpg

I was impressed 1k rounds in 10 minutes and the gun was still running

Man, that was impresive... And as for the point of it?? What, you guys rather see an XD being BBQed or a puposely

overloded cartridge to see how it will blow up, not if... This was an awsome test of a solid handgun and which one of

us would not want to fire 1000 rounds of free ammo through a free gun that your not going to keep!!!

I love the Power Extractor plugs during the shooting also!!! :blush:

Speaking for someone who was present at this torture test, ...

I know I am biased, but I certainly was impressed to see someone be able to make a firearm function under that type of stress and see that gun hold up and still be so accurate. Check out the attached target shot with that gun post-torture test. I am quite proud of Todd and Para-USA and the others involved in this test. Overall, it was a fun and informative test of the gun...that's what the goal was. Michael & crew did a great job. :)

Rebecca

I thought that looked like Rebecca in the background. McBane really should do an update to the web site with that target.. that would be cool to have up.

I just kept thinking 'what a waste of ammo and the barrel', but I didn't pay for either so I really don't get a vote. It is VERY impressive to me that the gun ran 1000 rounds straight and got WICKED hot in the process without puking. I doubt our super tight high zoot raceguns would take this sort of treatment. There just isn't any room for the sort of growth you will see with enough heat to yellow the barrel, we are talking 700* plus in the barrel. Take a second to let that sink in, OVER 700 DEGREES!!!!!!! On a very tight hand built gun there just isn't anywhere for the growth to go. I know my Limited gun will run several thousand between cleanings, my Open gun will run 1000+ between cleanings with clean loads, but both of them are tight enough that I really don't believe they would keep running with that sort of heat.

I have had a 1911 hot enough that the slide blistered my finger and the frame was too hot to hold courtesy of Uncle Sam and it didn't quit or bobble either but it wasn't tight at all, more of a 4" at 25 yard sort of gun. Barrel was chrome lined and blued on the outside, so a big color shift wasn't seen. I also had blood dripping from both elbows from hammer bite, no beavertail and I paid for it!! It was due for turn in and wouldn't be seeing duty again, at that time they were depleting inventory of 1911's and buying M9's, so I didn't mind too much wrecking it....

Check out the attached target shot with that gun post-torture test. Rebecca

I thought it was pretty cool,

I was wondering what you TJ did with the gun from the 1000 "test" to the target being shot, it shows those were rounds 5000k+

what happened during the 4000k rounds we didn't see?

It is VERY impressive to me that the gun ran 1000 rounds straight and got WICKED hot in the process without puking.

To me, what lube he was using is more impressive. When the gun heats up...its going to get tight. Thats when the lube is going to break down.....thats more important to me then what gun he was using.