Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS Classifiers

Ed Deegan

I have shot SS (with one exception) since I started shooting USPSA.

My classifier's are now listed on the USPSA website, but the percentages shown are all the exact same (using the Ohio calculator for comparison) as L-10.

Anyone else have the same thing?

Regards,

Ed

I was afraid this was going to be the case.

Not really a fair way to do it, as there is a huge difference between L-10 and SS! I can't think of the classifier, but I shot it with SS, it is a empty gun start to a 8 shot array with steel, so IF you have a miss, it is a mandatory standing reload, NOT anywhere near the same as L-10. Also, reloading a widebody downloaded to 10 is NOT that same as a skinny gun!!

Too bad, I hope that correct it if your assumption is correct.

Not really a fair way to do it, as there is a huge difference between L-10 and SS! I can't think of the classifier, but I shot it with SS, it is a empty gun start to a 8 shot array with steel, so IF you have a miss, it is a mandatory standing reload, NOT anywhere near the same as L-10.

For that particular situation...it would make absolutely no difference. The HIGH hit factor would never be set by somebody that missed and had to do a reload. And, all the classifications are based off of a high hf.

Just so you guys know...

For years, the HHF in L-10 was identical to the HHF in Limited. (Even on classifiers, like Times Two, where you had to do an extra reload).

Production was established at 95% on Limited. Revolver was at 90%. (If I recall correctly).

After a few years...it seems we started to get enough independent data to set HHF's for those divisions, independently.

Hey boys, give 'em time to get the report fomatted. They are probably out shooting today! Just take all the "Y" entries and average them. If there are at least 4 "Y" entries, that is your current classification.

Later,

Chuck

After a few years...it seems we started to get enough independent data to set HHF's for those divisions, independently.

And some Limited's are 90% of Open, or the Open HF.

It would be nice if HHF's were based on match scores, instead of some dreamt up number or just handing other divisions the same # or a handicapped percentage of.

It would be nice to have an updated classifier system which is REALLY simple in this day and age, but hmmm, naybe someday.

It would be nice if HHF's were based on match scores, instead of some dreamt up number or just handing other divisions the same # or a handicapped percentage of.

It would be nice to have an updated classifier system which is REALLY simple in this day and age, but hmmm, naybe someday.

Agreed 110%

The only problem with using match scores is the 100% frequently isn't a LOHF-type run since the match winners are likely not pushing as hard as they can go, wanting to win the match and all. Then when the classifier gets out to the grandbaggers, they can easily crank over 100% on it.

From my last look at the USPSA database, the way it's set up, it's tough to do a real-time recalc of the HHF based on the top-10 scores. That may have changed since they did do an adjustment a while back.

What I would do is ask the top 5 shooters in any given division (doesn't really matter which top-5 shooters) to say what they would consider a 100% run to be, average that and use it for the initial HHF. I'm pretty sure most any of them could look at the stage diagram and give an answer good to within a few tenths of a second. Hopefully most of them have enough respect for USPSA that they could do that without charging for the service ;)

I'm guessing that L10 and SS HHFs are going to be very close in any case.

DirtyPool wrote:

+1

zhunter wrote:

Not really a fair way to do it, as there is a huge difference between L-10 and SS! I can't think of the classifier, but I shot it with SS, it is a empty gun start to a 8 shot array with steel, so IF you have a miss, it is a mandatory standing reload, NOT anywhere near the same as L-10. Also, reloading a widebody downloaded to 10 is NOT that same as a skinny gun!!

Too bad, I hope that correct it if your assumption is correct.

+1

I'd also be in favor of posting the top 5 or 10 HHF for each classifier per division, then the shooter's first name and last initial, their USPSA #, their classification, the date, and the club they shot it at.

It would be like posting who has ran a sub 4 minute mile. The rest of use back in the pack-er's could then know what to strive for.

I also think it would give a little more transparency to the classification system.