Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Irish Whiskey

I like Irish Whiskey. And for the most part, for me and my friends, it's hangover-free. Which is a very attractive feature (especially when you're 51.)

(Bourbon's are not hangover-free for me. So I thought I'd be a nice guy and not drift the Bourbon thread.)

;)

Jamison is probably my favorite. I've also tried some Canadian Whiskey's recently, and a good sipping one I like is Forty Creek. Although in general, Canadian Whiskey's don't seem to be quite so hangover-free as Irish Whiskey's.

So what's your favorite Irish Whiskey?

be

Jameson is all right and so is the Tullamore Dew.

I had the opportunity to visit the Jameson's distillery in Cork just a couple of months ago. Very nice tour with a very carismatic guide.

But my all time favourite among Irish whiskies is the Powers 12 years Special Reserve. But that one is more in the $70 range.

Smooth as silk with a pronounced tone of honey. And also with a lack-of-hangover-guarantee...

Edited by whizz

1. Jamison

2. Bushmills (got a bottle of the Black Bushmills a few years ago and found it disappointing)

Irish whiskey is most affordably had at Duty Free when coming back from Canada (eh?).

IMHO, Irish whiskey has more complexity than its Canadian counterparts; especially nice when sipped from a snifter, warmed by the palm of the hand on a snowy night. Can't say that I've ever tested the 'no hangover guarantee'.

[Have to admit that, when I saw the 'bourbon' thread, I wondered when the same question would be asked of whiskey. Thanks, Brian!]

Jamison is the only Irish I've tried so far. Became intrested in Irish whiskey reading a thread on another forum. I'm going to try some others, but my favorite whiskey is Crown.

I normally don't drink enough to worry about a serious hangover, but I may test the no hangover theory this holiday.

Rik

Edited by Rik

My favorite Irish Whiskey is Black Bush. I got turned on to it when I toured the Bushmills Distillery in Northern Ireland. It's a blended, so it's relatively inexpensive at about $30, at least when compared to the single malts. It's aged in rum casks so it has a slightly sweeter taste than most whiskeys. It also has a peaty flavor.

Lincoln

Edited by lcarr

I'm told that historically in Ireland, the Catholic/Protestant divide is so deep that Protestants drink Bushmills, while Catholics drink Jameson and refer to Bushmills as "Protestant swill". When I drink sippin' whisky it's single malt scotch (my last name's Duff, it's kind of encoded in my DNA), so Jameson and Bushmills taste like lighter fluid to me. A reasonably good scotch single malt for under $25 is Speyburn 10yr. It's not great, but pretty good for the money.

Trivia bit: In the US, by law Irish and American whiskeys spell it "ey" and Scotch and Canadian whiskys spell it just "y". I didn't believe it at first when I learned this, but I've never seen a bottle that proved this statement wrong.

Well I don't want to break the Irish Whiskey thread so I will note that I do enjoy an occasional Irish Whisky and Bushmill's or Jameson's are both tasty to me. So is there a favorite Scotch thread since I want to put in my votes for Dewars and Famous Grouse. :D

Happy Safe Holidays to all the members of this great forum and especially to Brian for being such a great host :cheers:

Most of my experience with Irish is that they tend to have a bite. Given that, try Michael Collins. It drinks like a good single malt scotch.

Yes, Michael Collins - good one! Our guru at the liquor store turned me on to it.

My favorite Irish Whiskey is Black Bush. I got turned on to it when I toured the Bushmills Distillery in Northern Ireland. It's a blended, so it's relatively inexpensive at about $30, at least when compared to the single malts. It's aged in rum casks so it has a slightly sweeter taste than most whiskeys. It also has a peaty flavor.

Lincoln

Another good one, which a friend turned me on to.

I haven't tried Bushmills in a long time, so I will tonight, based on it's overwhelming response.

;)

Thanks all!

be

• 3 years later...