Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you do for a living?

I'm a software engineer for a medical imaging company. Our flagship product is our computed tomographic colonography (virtual colonoscopy) software. When people ask me what I do, tell them I work with a*holes all day. :P

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work for a Crane Service Company in Minnesota, I was a crane operater for 20+years and for the last 5 years I am the main Supervisor and Dispatcher. If I were still working in the field I don't think that I would have the time for this sport. http://www.armstrongcrane-rigging.com/index.html Now I am a pencil pusher( I never thought I would ever have a desk job).

Barge engineer for an offshore drilling contractor in the GOM. Currently working in the Bay of Campeche - Mexico on a 28 on / 28 off rotation w/ a 3 yr contract for Pemex... Been working offshore f/ 12 yrs. Up until 3 yrs ago, and 12 yrs prior I spent my time off of the rig bartending. Gave that up after I earned my current postion and have not regretted leaving my job as a babysitter for drunks for a millisec. Currently spend my time off catching up on 28 days worth of honey-dos, shooting w/ friends, and traveling to SW Colorado @ every opportunity.... which isn't nearly enough.

I'm a D.C. (direct current) Power plant technician/installer for a major contractor in the telecommunications field. I build the power plants that run all of your phones, routers, and any other telecom equipment. Been doing it 21 years. I have worked for AT&T (as an actual employee) 8 years, Lucent Technologies 6 years, and now AFL Network Services for the past 7 years. I also write technical documents for transition of live dc power circuits from one power source to another power source, all while never dropping the circuit. The voltages I deal with are generally pretty low

( +24v, -48v, + & -130v, +140v, and occasionally the +280v and +480v DC ) but some very high amperages. All of our work is "unfused" which means if you short it out, it burns until there is nothing left to burn. Most of the circuits I work on, if a direct short is applied, have the potential to discharge upwards of a (minimum, maximum of well, it depends on how many battery strings they have in parallel, on any given job, say 70 to 80 miliion amps worth?) of 7 MILLION amps in the first second of discharge. Let me tell you, 7 million amps will COMPLETELY vaporize any piece of metal you can find! I love my job, and I have absorbed ALOT of voltage over the years!

Unemployed for a few months but back to work as an Insurance Account Manager at a Local Brokerage...my friends and fellow shooters love it because i get to hook them up and look for Cheap Insurance for free...hmm maybe i should start charging them : )

Edited by ogiebb

• 4 weeks later...

Forensic Engineer in private practice. I basically am hired to figure out what went wrong in an accident, fire or explosion from an engineering perspective and then to render an opinion as to cause. Some people refer to it as an expert witness, but that technically is only when I testify which is a small percentage of cases. Most settle based on my report combined with the coverage and legal issues in a case. I really enjoy it even though it has kept from shooting too much the past few years.

Been working in the offshore drilling industry for 14 years. Currently a Night Toolpusher in the Middle East on a 28/28 rotation. Great pay and I only work half the year. On days off I do honey do jobs, chase my 2 kids, play with my guns, raise a few cows, and build big 4x4's.

I'm a second generation electrical contractor. We do commercial, industrial, and government contracts. Coolest thing I've ever done was when I was in apprenticeship years ago. We were re-lighting a National Guard tank shop, and the guys took me for a ride in a M1A Abrams one day at lunch. We did a combat pistol range back in the early '90s at Ft. Knox also, but when it was done, Uncle Sam wouldn't let me play on it.

One tour USAF Officer (made Captain) as a rocket scientist... Seriously. Designed rocket engine test platforms.

13+ years as a Personal Trainer. Pro athletes, senior functional fitness, post-rehab, weight-loss, bodybuilding, etc... I've worked in shorts for 13 years!

Now Director of Education for NPTI, Tampa. An adult career school/trade school for new Personal Trainers. LOVE IT!

I work 2 evening per week, and shoot 3!

Jeff Ward

• 2 weeks later...