Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dremel Tool

Coolduckboy

Man, this belongs in the humor forum right? Please step back from the gun, drop the dremel and send it to the smith. Please. Too many guns have been ruined with a dremel tool for me to attack mine with one.

Edited by Fireant

Would i be able to do my own slide work with just a dremel tool? I hear they are very versatile and a great tool.

What type of gunsmithing are they usually used for?

Wrong tool. If you want to do slide work on your Glocks, you need a hammer. The nice thing

about the Dremel is the time it saves you. Things that used to take hours to screw up using

files and stones can be totally trashed in mere minutes with a Dremel. Probably the greatest

benefit of the Dremel tool is to provide a steady source of income for gunsmiths and parts

suppliers----straightening out the screw-ups.

What are you wanting to do slide work on??

Bill

Would i be able to do my own slide work with just a dremel tool? I hear they are very versatile and a great tool.

What type of gunsmithing are they usually used for?

Wrong tool. If you want to do slide work on your Glocks, you need a hammer. The nice thing

about the Dremel is the time it saves you. Things that used to take hours to screw up using

files and stones can be totally trashed in mere minutes with a Dremel. Probably the greatest

benefit of the Dremel tool is to provide a steady source of income for gunsmiths and parts

suppliers----straightening out the screw-ups.

What are you wanting to do slide work on??

Bill

That's what my gunsmith told me too. He just loves it when people get Dremel's.

Gary

I'll bite. :goof::devil:

I use:

• Dremels
  • 4lb sledgehammer
  • 18v drill
  • sawzall
  • bench grinder
  • vice from Home Depot

:cheers:

OK...I happen to have some other tools around too. But, I don't mention those, as I don't want people bringing me their stuff all the time.

What kind of work are we talking about? I have lowered and flared and ejection port on a 1911 with the dremel and a carbide cutter...with great results. Polished feed ramps...flared mag wells...blended on the grip safety...burred in divots for staking. But...most jobs are better suited to a mill or a file/stone. Dremels are pretty decent for minor polishing...they aren't precise and they aren't slow.

I am having trouble figuring out much that I'd use one for on a slide?

I'll bite. :goof::devil:

I use:

• Dremels
  • 4lb sledgehammer
  • 18v drill
  • sawzall
  • bench grinder
  • vice from Home Depot

:cheers:

OK...I happen to have some other tools around too. But, I don't mention those, as I don't want people bringing me their stuff all the time.

What kind of work are we talking about? I have lowered and flared and ejection port on a 1911 with the dremel and a carbide cutter...with great results. Polished feed ramps...flared mag wells...blended on the grip safety...burred in divots for staking. But...most jobs are better suited to a mill or a file/stone. Dremels are pretty decent for minor polishing...they aren't precise and they aren't slow.

I am having trouble figuring out much that I'd use one for on a slide?

They are even faster on a Glock frame...just turn it on and turn it loose...watch the plastic fly..

Just got a .40 slide and wanted to do some different things with it on my own. was goign to try to finagle some front slide serrations but i guess i am going to have to go a different route.

Here is a pretty good home gunsmithing forum: http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi

I don't think anybody there is cutting front serrations with the D-tool, but they might be with a mini-mill.

I use a dremel for raising the area under the trigger gaurd at times. Works great on plastic with a sanding drum. I have also used it for blending in some places that parts just don't quite flow smooth enough.

You can lower an ejection port, but be careful about that one.

no i am just looking to do some front slide serrations and then going to do some different things but no hole or crazy stuff. i will buy a lathe/milling machine once i decide to get into gunsmithing.

Even a light duty milling machine can shake too much and give a marginal finish. You aren't going to hold a dremel too solidly enough to machine slide serrations by hand.

Just got a .40 slide and wanted to do some different things with it on my own. was goign to try to finagle some front slide serrations but i guess i am going to have to go a different route.

Duckboy, quick, please put down the dremel, slowly step away. If you want to mess around with making your own slide cuts, drive over the hill to Bend and bring some mill bits. You can mess around on your slide on my mill for free :)

Edited by Loves2Shoot

Duckboy, quick, please put down the dremel, slowly step away. If you want to mess around with making your own slide cuts, drive over the hill to Bend and bring some mill bits. You can mess around on your slide on my mill for free :)

Might not be a bad idea there, I might do that once it won't cost me a paycheck to get over the hill.