Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

brass storage setup?

mgcchkn

how/where/what do you guys store your spare brass? ammo cans, 5 gallon buckets, storage bins, nice and neat on storage racks, or where ever you can find room? etc... I don't have that much saved up yet, but I'm thinking about hoarding it all when I go to the ranges from now on.

:)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the tin cans with lids that Christmas cookies come in, also pretzel jugs, dog food buckets etc. I prefer stored brass to have a container with a lid because I always polish brass before putting it up. It stays clean like that for a long time. I picked up over a 1000 .40 S&W cases last Sun., I don't even have the dies to load it yet, but cleaned and stored it, it won't go bad, so that is money in the bank. I always pick up all the .45 ACP brass I can get, except I don't pick up at matches because I'm usually too busy SOing, pasting etc. Even with that I have never bought .45 brass.

Robin :closedeyes:

All dumped into an old Home Depot plastic bucket, next to the tumbler and separator. I don't store clean brass. The stuff gets 'cleaned' for 90 minutes and reloaded.

Jim M

Red plastic Folgers coffee cans with lids. The really TALL ones. I can get about 900~1000 .40's or about 1000 9mm's in them.

I also use those medium size Glad-ware clear plastic tubs with the blue lids. You can get them 3 for about $3. They hold approx. 500 cases, and stack nicely under my bench.

Five gallon buckets with lids, a bunch of them. (.38super, .40S&W, .45acp, 10mm, 9mm, 38spcl, .357mag) Keep the bulk in the closet. Get out what I'm gonna use in some of those big Acro bins on the bench. Use big ZipLock freezer bags for the oddball stuff I don't have a bucket full of yet. (.270, .243, .308, .30-30, .30 Herrett, .41 mag, .44 mag. .44 special....)

5 gallon buckets here too. I also use the plastic coffee cans, but I have too much brass and the cans are all over the garage. As I use my pool tablet buckets I convert those to brass buckets. The buckets are easier to hold a bunch of brass. FYI.....I don't seperate the brass by headstamp & etc. Just calibers.

Most large supermarkets that have a bakery have many white plastic buckets with lids on them...and smile at the right person and you take them home. Free :cheers:

Buddy who owns a coin shop also gave me a bunch of the green plastic containers that silver eagles arrive in from the US Mint. Great containers...think of a super heavy duty plastic shoebox (although larger). They stack great.

I guess I'm about on par with most who have spoken. I use the 5 gallon buckets. Easy to find (for free), easy to stack and (I don't know how many) but it holds a LOT of brass. Just make sure to give it the once over when you pick it up and another before you drop it in your bucket.

I use .50 cal. ammo cans and coffee cans. The brass is sorted by head stamp into coffee cans, when the coffee can is full then the brass in it is cleaned. The clean brass is put into ammo cans.

Rifle brass is also sorted by head stamps and since most of it is military 5.56 or 7.62 it's sorted by year also. Ammo cans are labeled--Unsorted, Clean, Deprimed, Trimmed.

Loaded ammo is stored in ammo cans. I was on a National Guard team of some sort from 1967 until I retired in 1997 and since most of the ammo that was issued to me for practice and matches came in ammo cans, I have lots of ammo cans.

I use the family sized ice cream pails. We go through alot of ice cream! :D

I use the large ice cream buckets too. I also use margarine dishes and 1 gallon Sheetrock Mud buckets, since I had some extras after a project.

I don't keep enough brass on hand to justify using 5 gallon buckets, but the day will soon come.

Allan

5 gallon buckets with lids and a visit to the dollar store for clear plastic shoebox containers. I sort by headstamp, with WIN being the biggest group. They hit the 5 gallon while the others get stacked neatly in the shoebox containers, ready for use.

Uncleaned brass goes in 5 gal buckets. Cleaned and sorted brass ready for loading goes in clear plastic stackable storage containers (sorted by caliber and manufacturer, and labeled). Loaded ammo goes in ammo cans (sorted by load and lot, and labeled). Misc stuff goes in whatever is available to fit the shelves and labeled. I really like the little clear business card sized label holders that afix to the containers. Change the contents, change the label. It really cuts down on the, "now, was that the stuff I loaded with 2.9 gr of TG, or was that the 3.0 gr of TG batch?" situations.

Square storage containers will work the best as they will use all available room. That said I use 5 gallon buckets cause I have so much and I can't make my self stop when I see a "deal"!

On the how much will a 5 gallon bucket hold, depends on what you call a 5 gallon bucket ( I know only 5 gallon buckets hole 5 gallons). Anyway if I remember correctly about 3 flat rate boxes of 40 or around 7-8 thousand pieces....

If I find a deal for all win nickel, I won't clean just put it away until I need it. If they seller says yeah, half win/fed, then I'll clean and sort. I shoot the win stuff for majors.

Edited by steel1212