Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draws <5y

jtipping

Just curious to see what you guys can pull off fairly reliably on the closer open targets, under 5y, from hands by sides. Also interested in peoples draw styles :)

I spent a lot of dryfire time working on my draw over the last 12 months and have reached the point where I am happy with the speed. Draw time is not the most important part of a stage, but i like being at the point where i know that i can have the gun out of the holster and ready to go as quickly as possible, and its a little confidence booster for me.

In match conditions i can do 0.65-0.75 on the closer targets pretty reliably. I did a 0.71 A from about 3m away on a funny angle, and in another match a 0.66 A on an open target about 3m straight in front. I can be a little faster in practice, but not a whole lot. My draw is basically a snatch, but dryfire has really helped to snatch the grip in the right spot. I've never dropped or 'juggled' my gun this way. I'm A grade Open BTW.

:blink: I have been playing shooting games for 17 years =mostly Steel with several runs on each stage. the draw can be 70% of your time /score on a stage. :blink: I have never made a first hit at 0.71 in a match. :blink: I got close a few times in practice. And I practice -allot- one thing I found that in order to get the fastest draw time , I gave up some on the next shots. So in a five target set my overall time was the same @ the third or fourth target.

Risk /Reward One thing that set me back was when the springs failed and the parts wore down = and the gun fired when it the safety moved off :blink: as in six feet out from my feet. Now I delay my final safety down grip until the gun is level.

Thats great you have that kind of ability, I suggest take /ask for some advise on how to "direct" your practice.

I bet you get less than 10 GM 's that will post in and say they can beet your time ....in a match and or even try to beet that time in a match.

The only stage I get close to that on is Smoke & Hope

:bow: The best of luck you will progress far :bow:

And my time on a target like you describe is 1.00 to 1.15 in a match , I do a sweep/scoop on the draw

But Im old and slow ;)

Jamie

Edited by AlamoShooter

On close targets in a match outta Single Stack gear, I am in the 1.05 - 1.10 range.

I do not scoop or snatch, I get a very good grip as I think it leads to a more fluid stage not having to fight a bad grip from the start.

With your speed, I would give up a little speed and get a more consistent grip.

On close targets (approx 3m) I can do .7+ with a Glock out of a PD gear. A couple of months ago, I had a .93 for the first two shots on a target at approx 1m. I forgot what the draw was, but I'm guessing it was in the low .7 range. I don't think there's a big difference between 1m and 5m. I also scoop my draw and get my grip as I'm bringing the gun up.

In steel, I had a few runs under 2 sec. (1.9+) That's for the draw and 5 shots.

Edited by racerba

That's a smoking fast first shot. What are the splits to the second third and fourth shots?

If you can do that first shot and still have .15's for the remaining shots then after shooting a few of the 06 classifiers you'll be a GM.

That's a smoking fast first shot. What are the splits to the second third and fourth shots?

If you can do that first shot and still have .15's for the remaining shots then after shooting a few of the 06 classifiers you'll be a GM.

My splits on close stuff are pretty good. Out to 25 or so, my splits arent so good, thats my 'focus' at the moment, speeding up my shots on the further stuff (while focussing on A's).

I can do .15-.18 in close stuff....if i go hard i can do draw + 2 each on 3 targets in about 1.6. I'm pretty young so i think i have a little bit of natural speed and reflex that helps my draw speed. If only i could get the rest of my game up to speed! I've been at this game for about 2 years now, having never touched a gun before that, and sort of teaching myself as I go. Forums like this have been pretty useful for tips though! Really going for consistency at matches now, as my mental game often lets me down.

Oh, also, being an aussie shooter, we dont have or use USPSA classifiers here. I have to get my regrades at matches! :)

:cheers:

If funds allow, take a class from a top shooter. If funds are tight, the 3GM video series is pretty good and covers differing ideas on movement, box entries/exits, etc. Some of the older videos (Ron Avery, Matt Burkett, etc) are still valuable too. If you're stuck with just dry firing, watching match videos will give you an idea of how people are moving into and out of ports and boxes.

:cheers:

If funds allow, take a class from a top shooter. If funds are tight, the 3GM video series is pretty good and covers differing ideas on movement, box entries/exits, etc. Some of the older videos (Ron Avery, Matt Burkett, etc) are still valuable too. If you're stuck with just dry firing, watching match videos will give you an idea of how people are moving into and out of ports and boxes.

Thanks, i'll definately have to get some of Saul's DVD's soon, the 3GM one looks great, and the Master dvd's look useful too.

As for match videos, i watch footage of every top shooter i can find!!

<_< You have talent for speed :blink: If you wanted you could go to the uspsa web site and download the stage diagrams. Set a few up and shoot them for score, get your hit factor & go to the Ohio Calculator web page and check you % to the US. If you find a stage that has a skill that you lack = that will help you find what to train harder at.

One Small glitch that held me back years ago was, Having a "trick" =like your fast first shot. The match problem is ,if you don't get that quick first shot it can throw you off mentally for the rest of the stage, and maybe even the entire match.

A very fast first shot is what some of us call a "Trick" trick are good but, tricks don't win matches

:D Like they says ...."Silly Rabbit , Tricks are for Kids" :D = Old TV thing for us over 50 crowd

The Top guys have a big bag of "Tricks" This past two years I practice what I am >crappy< <_< well not so good at. And that has made a good year for me.

Thanks AlamoShooter, i didnt know about that calculator. I might have to start using some classifiers in my practice each weekend and then i can compare my HF. Neat trick!

I realise that fast first shots arent THAT important to your overall time and performance. But i honestly feel so much better starting off on stages now than when i started out. Even though im grabbing the gun quickly, i always feel like im 'off to a good start' when i get that gun out of the holster and on target solidly and quickly. I DO understand though that a consistent grip out of my draw is more important, so im wary of that too. Ideally, i'd just like to be fast AND consistent...easy huh? :o

<_< The most fun I have with a "trick" is being able to call most of my hits. <_< This is kind of a secret so don't tell any one... <_< , Fun in that most of the time in smaller matches I don't go to watch the scoring on my targets. And If one of the other shooters says MIKE I don't even look up = :yawn: Nope I got all my hits & they may point at one , & I say no that was an A -C with the c high on the right side. ;) Kind Of funny I guess when someone is "pulling your chain" and it doesn't work ;)

If You don't have Brian's Book get one being able to Call the shots is makes a match fun even when you rarely win.

Yeah, that kind of speed will get you 100 per cent on every classifier in the book. I have never seen a .70 draw in a match of any kind. I need to get out more.

I've never pushed my draw in a match..too many other things I am trying to keep out of my head.. :blink:

its fun on the practice range to see what's there..but on game day I try to trust what I have done in practice..

Yeah, that kind of speed will get you 100 per cent on every classifier in the book. I have never seen a .70 draw in a match of any kind. I need to get out more.

+1 If you do that in a match you are quite a spectacular shooter. I doubt any of the top shooters in the US would have draws that fast in a match. I know the raw speed of first shot is not as important as many think.

Before I found a way to put some structure to my dry fire I put a lot of time and effort into the draw, and I got fairly quick. I could bring an .85 anytime I wanted out to about 7 yards in a match, mid to upper .60's in practice is as fast as it ever got in live fire. Fastest one I ever pulled in a match was an .81. Now I don't worry much about the draw, and have slowed down a lot. On a very close target I will be right around one second. I will be 1.2 or so on a 15 yard target, 1.4 on a long shot or a plate or a mini popper with some distance. It is plenty fast to compete. Had I spent the time and effort on transitions or movement instead of the draw I would be a good bit further ahead than I am now. Get a decent draw with a great grip and move on, there just isn't enough to gain to justify the time and effort of a ridiculously fast draw.

The fastest match draw that I've had is .95 and I think that was on fluffys revenge 2. In practice that is what I set my timer at so I thought it kind of funny that it acutally happened in live fire. The draw that I liked the most was 1.05 to a partial with a no shoot about 7 yards, yeah it was only 7 yards but I got 2 As on it. The only reason I pushed my self is because a buddy that I push myself to beat just did the same thing in 1.07 lol. Another buddy running the timer said man that was fast....

I have gotten mine down to .9 reliably. Used to be a C-hit know it a reliable pair of alphas. I am working on shaving time on transitions. My scores are coming up and I am not shooting any faster, just getting into position faster.

Mike

Probably right at a second. I haven't gotten a match draw inside the range in some time. I hit a 1.1 on a 12 yarder at a match not too long ago so . . . I'd guess that second to slightly sub-second range is right for 5 yards and in (for me).

To me, if I'm sub 1 on targets like that then I'm ok. I may not win the match with them but it's doubtful I'd lose the match. And if I hit the draw it'll be in the .8 or .7 range - which always helps.

In dry fire, I really try and practice spending as little time as possible with my hands at the holser. I've never been a good scooper. I just snatch the gun out of the holster - at which point in time I focus on that first A.

J

I'd take a 1.05 with .20 split and 2 A's every time instead of a .85 & .15 split, A-C hits. I can do that consistently and starting a stage with 2 A's set you up with confidence for the rest of the stage.

Before I started to dryfire practice a fast draw to 5y A zone was in the 1.2 range, now I can do that in the .8 range. Even though I can go that fast I rarely do that in competition. The main point is I am 4 tenths quicker now than 6 months ago irregardless of actual competition times and that is helping overall times.

I am just a B shooter. I have pulled <1.2 draws in the WSSSC and at Limited Nationals last year. In some local matches I have pulled .86 but typically in the .99 range on targets <7 yds. In the classifier last weekend I pulled a sub-second draw.

I have noticed in practice that I need to practice the draw and the follow-up shot. If I focus on just the draw my second shot takes much longer than I expected. Now I am experiencing a bit of a pull on my second shot which bugs the heck out of me.