Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short range secondary sight

mpeltier

So I was scanning other threads for ideas on secondary irons to use for up close in conjunction with a 4X ACOG, nothing really appealed to me and that got me thinking (acording to my wife that can be very dangerous). This is what I came up with for short and quick within say 0 - 30 yds. It started life as a LaRue offset flashlight mount, about 2 inches of fiber-optic, and an inch and a half of threaded rod. When mounted on the front gas block rail it is in just the right spot to alighn perfectly with the shooting eye with juust a slight lift of the shooting elbow, no head movement at all. Really slick.

post-6767-1192849784.jpg

post-6767-1192849797.jpg

post-6767-1192849812.jpg

post-6767-1192849833.jpg

So I was scanning other threads for ideas on secondary irons to use for up close in conjunction with a 4X ACOG, nothing really appealed to me and that got me thinking (acording to my wife that can be very dangerous). This is what I came up with for short and quick within say 0 - 30 yds. It started life as a LaRue offset flashlight mount, about 2 inches of fiber-optic, and an inch and a half of threaded rod. When mounted on the front gas block rail it is in just the right spot to alighn perfectly with the shooting eye with juust a slight lift of the shooting elbow, no head movement at all. Really slick.

Very cool! I might have to look into something like that. :bow:

Archery sights was kinda my inspiration for this sight as i have been into archery for most of my life. And they are incredibly accurate. This is much more compact than most archery sights i have seen though.

There is a little adjustment by screwing the fiberoptic pins in or out prior to securing the fiber, but there is no need as the flashlight mount is machined precise enough that as long as the pins are centered in each ring you are minute of A zone for the distance this sight is intended. Most important to me was getting the post ligned up with the bore and straight up and down when aiming thru it, this it does.

Edited by mpeltier

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't eye positioning with this sight would be critical, since the rings and the dot are essentially in the same focal plane? If the line between your eye, the dot, and the target was not in the same plane with the barrel, the POI would be way off from the POA. Or are where talking short enough ranges where it doesn't matter?

Since the rings are in the same plane as the dot, it would be visually hard to determine if you were indeed "centered." Maybe if the front ring were slightly smaller, and the rear ring painted a different color. When properly aligned, the rear ring would "disappear."

It looks great, just thinking of some techincalities.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I use a Docter mounted with Matt Burkett's offset mount and it's great. Arredondo Accessories has one that mounts on the ACOG that works very well too.

I like the looks of that. Looks very fast. You need to get a patent and market it!

+1 :cheers:

GO for it Mark :bow: :bow:

I think this is some good advice. Hurry though it might have already been stolen as soon as you posted the pictures :), at least most of the guys on here are GTG.

I was just going to ask the same thing. I just bought the Dueck Defense RTS set for my geek rifle. They sit next to my scope for the halitosis range shots and then I can use my 1-4 scope set at 4x for the middle ranges. I haven't shot a match with it, I just got them but dry practice seems to work great. I've only put about 50 rounds through the rifle with them on it, not a lot of drill time to give them a full personal review, but I like the concept and have high hopes for them.

I did something like this before. I used one inch scope rings and drilled and threaded an archery fiber optic pin into the front one. I then mounted the other one way back at the scope to get a longer sight radius. They worked ok didn't look as polished as your but after all the work I did I still went back to using the scope only. Rolling the gun just seemed to slow. For targets that were real close we just point shot them and if they were too far for that the scope seemed better. I was using a low power variable so maybe with a fixed power acog you would gain an advantage. Biggest prob for me was adjusting windage