Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't have any overhang in the top so the press wouldn't mount to the edge like I wanted. Decided to use another piece of 2x6 as a mounting plate. So the press mounts through 2 2x6s and the 3/4 plywood and doesn't flex at all!

Did you consider getting the Strong Mount? I have the same bench, slightly different dimensions, but same 2x4 kit, and I used the Strong Mount. No need for the extra 2x6. See post #987 for pictures of my bench.

I didn't have any overhang in the top so the press wouldn't mount to the edge like I wanted. Decided to use another piece of 2x6 as a mounting plate. So the press mounts through 2 2x6s and the 3/4 plywood and doesn't flex at all!

Did you consider getting the Strong Mount? I have the same bench, slightly different dimensions, but same 2x4 kit, and I used the Strong Mount. No need for the extra 2x6. See post #987 for pictures of my bench.

I thought about it but I like the height it's at already and didn't need it any higher. And I already had plenty of wood and hardware vs. having to spend more money for the strong mount.

I bet the strong mount is nice, but I doubt it's any more stable than the way I have it now. Did you add any bracing to the table? What did you think of the kit? I thought it was a waste of money. The hardware was junk so I pretty much paid for four pieces of plastic, next time I'll just build everything from scratch.

I just spent another 200 buying .223 dies, a tool head and a few other little things. The next thing on my list will be a machine cover and the roller handle. This reloading is getting expensive...now if only I could start saving ;)

I thought about it but I like the height it's at already and didn't need it any higher. And I already had plenty of wood and hardware vs. having to spend more money for the strong mount.

I bet the strong mount is nice, but I doubt it's any more stable than the way I have it now. Did you add any bracing to the table? What did you think of the kit? I thought it was a waste of money. The hardware was junk so I pretty much paid for four pieces of plastic, next time I'll just build everything from scratch.

I just spent another 200 buying .223 dies, a tool head and a few other little things. The next thing on my list will be a machine cover and the roller handle. This reloading is getting expensive...now if only I could start saving ;)

I'm 6'4" and load while sitting in a high stool, so I wanted the extra height the strong mount offered. More stable? Probably not. What you have looks like it is very stable.

I added the diagonol cross piece on the top like the instructions said and I used the hardware they provided, I thought it was good. My test was that I'm 300+ pounds, and I can sit or lay on the top ( prior to adding all of the reloading stuff ) and the bench was solid as can be. Mine is 3'x6' and it doesn't flex or bow when my svelte athletic body sits on it.... :rolleyes: ( I'm sure High Lord Gomer will jump ALL over that comment if he happens into this post!)

Anyway I got the kit from Cabelas and they included the shelf mounts, so the price was worth it. I spent the better part of a Sunday putting it together, but I looked at it as a fun project, not a waste of time. All said and done, I probably could have bought one of the benches others have posted on here from Costco or Sam's, but I was able to build it to the size I wanted. The kit was pretty easy to follow, but this was my first major wood working project since HS shop class, so wasn't sure if I could build something sturdy enough on my own. Now I know.....I could have.

... my svelte athletic body sits on it.... :rolleyes: ( I'm sure High Lord Gomer will jump ALL over that comment if he happens into this post!)

Well, since you tee'd it up for me...

You have a svelte athletic body? I've been wanting to get me one of those! Where do you keep it? After following you around a couple weeks ago I'm betting you keep it in your back pocket. You sure you don't have two of them things? Ever take them out and wash them? Should I stop now? You sure?

... my svelte athletic body sits on it.... :rolleyes: ( I'm sure High Lord Gomer will jump ALL over that comment if he happens into this post!)

Well, since you tee'd it up for me...

You have a svelte athletic body? I've been wanting to get me one of those! Where do you keep it? After following you around a couple weeks ago I'm betting you keep it in your back pocket. You sure you don't have two of them things? Ever take them out and wash them? Should I stop now? You sure?

Gomer...that's the best you can come up with? All that traveling must have your turned your brain to mush. Or maybe it was all of those motorcycle "mishaps" that did that to you? You do realize that you're supposed to make it around the track without crashing right? Listening to your stories reminded me of the scence from Days of Thunder, when Harry Hogge tells Cole Trickle "alright..while we're still under caution, i want you to go back on the track and hit the pace car." "Hit the pace car?" "Hit the pace car" "What for?" "Because you've hit every other G-D thing out there, I want you to be perfect!"

The 650 came in the mail yesterday, while I was the Pickaway skating rink match, but I got it set up last night. Just need primers, powder and adjustment of the powder bar and I'm good to go.

How has the Kobalt workbench held up for you? Is the bench tall enough to stand while reloading? Did you use the top that it came with or did you replace it with a heavier and sturdier material? I'm looking for a solid core wood entry door to use as the top; I think that would be much more stable.

I'm looking at purchasing one to use as my reloading workbench. I just purchased a used RL 1050 Dillon press with .45 ACP dies and would like to install it on this workbench. I, like others here, have contraints on the size of the bench I can install due to the space available. :D

Thanks!

KSWiens

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to ask this, but how does one add a picture(s) to this forum??

I have just assembled my reloading bench and want to add it to

this forum (reloading benches).

Thank you,

Stephen

North Carolina

I hate to ask this, but how does one add a picture(s) to this

forum?? I have just assembled my reloading bench and want to

add it to this forum (reloading benches).

Thank you!

The 650 came in the mail yesterday, while I was the Pickaway skating rink match, but I got it set up last night. Just need primers, powder and adjustment of the powder bar and I'm good to go.

How has the Kobalt workbench held up for you? Is the bench tall enough to stand while reloading? Did you use the top that it came with or did you replace it with a heavier and sturdier material? I'm looking for a solid core wood entry door to use as the top; I think that would be much more stable.

I'm looking at purchasing one to use as my reloading workbench. I just purchased a used RL 1050 Dillon press with .45 ACP dies and would like to install it on this workbench. I, like others here, have contraints on the size of the bench I can install due to the space available. :D

Thanks!

KSWiens

I'm currently using a kobalt workbench and I used the original top that came with it. I did reinforce it by installing 2X6 supports under it where I mounted my 650 and secured it to the wall as well. It works just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

My little setup on the corner of my main work bench. I outsource all the brass tumbling and cleaning to my Dad, he likes to leave them going for a week at a time until they glow!

IMG00033-20101019-0617.jpg

IMG00034-20101019-0618.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

LOL! I love the reloading set ups here, but HAD to post my tiny one for all here to laugh at, er, see! I am currently reloading in my girlfriend's garage, but am moving my stuff into my new house, and it will live in my new garage which has its own heat, and is ready for my use. Enjoy!!! Try not to laught TOO hard!

Nov2010009.jpg

Nov2010010.jpg

Nov2010011.jpg

Nov2010012.jpg

Metalguy ;)

side view of "The Lab!" I first had set this up in my bedroom.Its nothing fancy like others, but it cranks em out. I got other pics in my cellphone just figuring out how to send em since my computer is down but will try to post more later...

The bench on the left is my bench solid I got the Idea from the bench on the right I seen at Cabelas...

post-24363-036221200 1289880035_thumb.jp

post-24363-10111_thumb.jpg

Edited by MARKAVELI