Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Cars That You Wish You Still Had Today

Porsche purists...They sure never liked the 924, and amazingly all three of these models are the only porsche products I would own.

I like the idea of adding V8 power to a porsche...owwwww if I wasn't married this would probably become my next project!

I have toyed with the idea of cramming a 350cid Chevy in a Triumph TR6...

Tightloop,

A buddy of mine that's into British cars found someone that had stuffed a 426 Hemi into a Bugeye Sprite! Except for a hoodscoop it looked pretty stock. Till you saw the rear tires from behind.

There are web sites that talk about the v8 to Triumph conversion, but the body cancer in the TR6's is the big problem now...you practically have to refab the entire chassis and replace all the connecting body parts to have it come out right..I would opt for the TR8 and put a bigger v8 in it, but it just doesn't have that cool look like the TR6 or the AC roadster...

Saw a guy with a 283 in a bug eye Sprite, had a plastic hood scoop for the carb....nice looking car and fast too...also knew a guy with a 283 Vega which was a good conversion...the problem with all the conversions is the torque of the v8's eventually destroy the frame unless you refab them...it would not be good to have something important let go when you are at 125+mph in one of those little guys...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed on reenforcing the frame, had a neighbor with a cherry Cosworth Vega. He removed the original motor, and stuffed in a built 350. First run on the track, he tweaked the frame rails, and the car went from collector to scrapyard. It did so much damage, the entire body and frame would need to be to be replaced if he were to keep it.

He ended up removing the motor and installing it into a nice Chevy Monza body, this particular Monza was one of the few made with the V8 motor, but this time he over did the frame re-enforcements. Tis was back in the late 80's, and last I knew he was still racing the car, with the same motor.

his father has a sweet 1968 Baracuda, with beefy 340 that was built for road racing/drag racing. By far the meanest Mopar I have ever ridden in!

Agreed on reenforcing the frame, had a neighbor with a cherry Cosworth Vega. He removed the original motor, and stuffed in a built 350. First run on the track, he tweaked the frame rails, and the car went from collector to scrapyard. It did so much damage, the entire body and frame would need to be to be replaced if he were to keep it.

He ended up removing the motor and installing it into a nice Chevy Monza body, this particular Monza was one of the few made with the V8 motor, but this time he over did the frame re-enforcements. Tis was back in the late 80's, and last I knew he was still racing the car, with the same motor.

his father has a sweet 1968 Baracuda, with beefy 340 that was built for road racing/drag racing. By far the meanest Mopar I have ever ridden in!

the Mopar must have had a motor swap...the 340 was not avaliable as a factory option in 68 IIRC....

Edited by tightloop

the Mopar must have had a motor swap...the 340 was not avaliable as a factory option in 68 IIRC....

While I don't remember seeing a 340 until '70 THIS article says it was indeed introduced in '68.

BTW, I had a '67 (or was it a '66?) 'Cuda with a Hi-Po 273 and a 4-speed. I bought it with a blown tranny, put in another one, drove it 5-miles and scattered THAT transmission too! :surprise: I gave up on Mopar...

Ed

The first car I ever bought was a 1975 914. I paid $500.00 for it from a guy at work. After several years of paying and playing with it I had to sell it. This is what it looked like when I sold it. The basics are this.

1975 914

911 3.0 litre six cylinder with mods (approx. 200-210 hp)

911 Turbo Brakes

Custom Body Paint and Interior

200hp doesn't soud like alot in these days when your dodge neon puts out that much, but when the car only weighs 1900lb with me in it, it scoots right along.

I miss that car every day the sun comes out here. I wish I never sold some days. :(

520250.jpg

69 GTO - totaled one Friday night before Yell Practice after warming up at the Red Lion :cheers: (Aggies will know!)

69 GTO convertible bought for a restoration and sold in pieces after a job change forced relocation and no place to store it.

I don't recall him changing the motor out, only rebuilding it. I do know he got the vehicle in a trade, he traded a camping trailer he was selling for dirt cheap straight across for it. In the end, he got the better end of the deal, because it only the engine rebuilt. He went far above that because he was capable of doing it himself. He repainted it and built the motor into something with a crazy amount of horsepower. He also created a set of wheelie bars that were removeable and needed for racing. It was a complete monster on the strip! I think I will try to find out what was ever done with it, because this family tends to keep things around forever, and they have ample garage space.

If you want V-8 power in a Porsche... then all you have to do is buy a Model 928... They have a double overhead valve fuelie engine that easily puts out 500 HP.

A 928 motor will never make that kind of power. Maybe force induced but not N/A. The GTS which was the most stout model made about 290rwhp. Not arguing, just hear the whole 928 thing too often. Plus the LS V8 weighs over 100lbs lighter, is compact, inexpensive, and highly upgradeable. My LS2 is making 370 to the wheels with just a filter, tune, and headers.

1968 Camaro. Primer red and not a straight body part on the car.

I paid $500 for it in 1983. Very fast - in a straight line :D The most fun I've had with my clothes on!

Two days before high school graduation, a Jaguar coupe rear ended me - cracking the gas tank and smashing the backend.

• 9 months later...

69 Chevelle Malibu 350CI/300Hp with a 12 bolt rear end and Turbo 350. Paid 600 for the car and it ran like a top.

Fastest I have ever been in a car with the speedo buried straight down.

ended up getting rearended when it was parked on the street.

Cars I should have not sold :

67 Camaro, metalic blue w/centerlines, built, :wub:

63 Mercedes 220seb, original red interior :wub:

Cars I drove and should of bought :

I use to work at a restoration shop, anything pre69 we did,

1919 Model-t, gas lights

1921 Model-t, electric lights

several Packards and model a's

Ones I still want to buy:

56 bel air

66-67 Nova

Cars I should have not sold :

67 Camaro, metalic blue w/centerlines, built, :wub:

63 Mercedes 220seb, original red interior :wub:

Cars I drove and should of bought :

I use to work at a restoration shop, anything pre69 we did,

1919 Model-t, gas lights

1921 Model-t, electric lights

several Packards and model a's

Ones I still want to buy:

56 bel air

66-67 Nova

Know what you mean, I am now wanting a 62SS Impala, 409, but WAY too much $$ for a poor guy like me...

Bright red 73 Trans Am with the Super-Duty 455 / turbohydramatic-400 tranny. 2nd owner (Dad had it first), and it was totally a ticket-magnet.

After my insurance agent said "one more ticket and we're done", I put a stock hood on it, lost the pseudo-scoops on the side, and repainted it (off-white), it somehow managed to not get as much attention from the local constabulary. :cheers:

Sold it in 79, 'cuz I figured out that I could afford a car payment on a "sensible" new car on what the gas was costing me for that one. Wish I hadn't.

Oh, and mistake #2? When I sold it, I was swayed by the factory warranty on a new Honda (!), instead of buying the used-but-mint silver-blue BMW 2002-tii with the sunroof and the killer Blaupunkt sound system <_<

Edited by bgary

The trend expands....................

BE Shooters like VERY fast cars and tools............

Hopefully many aren't themselves... tools

:o:P:rolleyes::goof:

I fit this mold. I am the tool guy! I sell and repair tools for a living. My car that I never sold is a 1967 GTO. Bought it from my aunt when I was in high school. It was my daily driver for 12 years. I always heard from relatives and friends about the car they sold that they regretted so I decided to never sell this one.

Just last month I decided it was time to get the GTO back on the road after 8 years. New water pump, and new battery and it is a rollin again just in time for wife and my high school reunion.

Classic cars are like guns. Why would you ever sell one.

Current Classic Stable: 1967 GTO; 1969 MG B; 1946 Ford Truck; 1971 Fiat 850 Spider(for sale/not Classic)

Here's one that will make you laugh. I miss my gramma's 1970 Dodge Coronet. It was a 4 door & gold with a white top. Man it could do 0 - 60 in about 3 hours. lol. It might not have been anything to look at or fast but I could fit 10 of my friends in there easily. The car I want right now....

dodge charger

Oh that 1978 Toyota Celica with the wire wheels and all the options. And the aftermarket stereo ROCKED those were the days. Second I'de have to say was my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited bright red great ride and you could go anywhere anytime you wanted. I'm sure there will be others but these two stand out by far.

I wish I'd never sold the '96 Corvette LT4 I bought when I was 23. It ran a 12.9 1/4mile before I even started modifying it. Torch Red, 6 speed, Targa top....people didn't expect a C4 (that body style) to be very fast. It sure suprised alot of folks (then again, so did the nitrous bottle)

1967 GTO, bought new ($2400), and took to 1st duty assignment in Germany. Autobahn speeds > 140mph. Liked gas, but it was 25 cents/gallon then. Sold it (regrets) when I went on the 1st tour to Vietnam.

post-11917-1217474256.jpg

When I was about 18 I bought a '72 Chevelle. It was far from perfect and I am sure I added 50 lbs of Bondo to make it remotely straight but I loved that car. I had a buddy who really wanted one too and we ran across a near perfect '72 Gold Chevelle in a car lot. He didn't have the cash to buy it at the time but I did. I "owned" it for a few weeks until he sold his old POS truck. After a while we replaced the vinyl top with a black one and sprayed a beautiful Candy Brandwine on it. I wanted that one back. I ended up selling mine as it wasn't pratical with a wife and new baby. I went from a 500 horse Chevelle to a 140 horse Cavilier....ouch. Anyway, I later found out my buddy sold his Chevelle without letting me know....feel like I lost out on two fun cars.

After my kids get done with college, I will have another one, or two...I think a 572 crate motor in one sounds about right.....only about 6 years to go....

Some how I don't think $1800 is going to buy one again though...

1) 1980 Porsche 928 (Euro specs) I bought it in Germany, drove it there for 6 months on the Autobahn (nothing is like setting the cruise control for 120mph, and watching the other cars get out of your way), and then had it convered to US Safety Specs and brought it back here when I was stationed at Ft. Benning.

2) 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo - not the power of the 928 (or the up keep expense), but like driving a go-kart - a blast.

Mark