Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jarrett and Leatham 6" Limited Guns

Interceptor

Just thought some of you would be curious to see these. I know Leatham's is one he has used before. Jarrett told the reporter from Shooting USA that he had yet to fire the 6" inch gun in competition and that it was new. He also opined that 6" guns would be a trend in the future. Time will tell. Anyway, here are the pics.

post-3450-1189559484.jpg

post-3450-1189559853.jpg

post-3450-1189559930.jpg

post-3450-1189559992.jpg

post-3450-1189560174.jpg

post-3450-1189560339.jpg

post-3450-1189653162.jpg

Edited by Interceptor

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeeze, I just got my limited gun and now everyone is going to 6". Well I guess I just need to practice enough to kill it and then maybe I'll be good enough the equipment will make a difference.

How long should a gun look new any way. Aren't these guys shooting 2-4K a week?

Oh yeah, thanks for the pics, neat to see what the top dogs are using.

Jason

Dang it! Literally 10 seconds ago I was just trying to convince myself that the SV I have is just fine and reciting that whole bit about the indian and the arrow. Then I find this thread. Thanks Alan. Back to dreaming about a Fat Free... See you at M'ville this weekend.

Edited by splashdown

Robbie's gun reminds me of an XD for some reason. I don't like that cut right below the barrel though. I've definitely seen prettier but I bet they run like scalded dogs! I wonder what they weigh? Is Robbie's gun missing the FO?

Edited by steel1212

My goodness, I haven't seen two uglier guns together anywhere. You know they work, and you know the guys driving them can just POUND the points with them, but you wouldn't think they would look like tomato stakes......

Those look like guns that belong to people who love too shoot. No extras, nothing fancy just plain old shooting irons. I like simple functional tools that work.

Those guns say forget about the bs and just shoot.

Edited by shadetree

Sick! :surprise:

I had a chance to shoot one of Robbie's long slide guns during his steel class at Rio Salado in April. He gave me a a few magazines to put through it. Awesome! Trigger must have been 1 lb or less. He had the long slide top end on Kippi's frame. It looked well used, but way nicer than the pictures posted. The longer sight radius can fool you into thinking the gun is flipping more in recoil, but it isn't.

If I remember correctly, Rob mentioned that the long slide has been lightened to equal the weight of his standard length limited gun.

I've been in contact with the Springfield Custom shop, and building one of these guns will cost as much or more as most Open guns out there. Still, I'm tempted to get the project started... Maybe a bit of overtime at work will cover it. I've been wanting to have them build me a Limited gun for quite some time.

(Anyone looking for an STI/SPS Limited gun package)? I will be selling it shortly.

I understand that Springfield builds their own double stack frame. :goof: They are not Para frames.

8 months and close to four grand... I'd better start saving now! :lol:

those are fugly looking guns, but good looking guns wont win you nationals though, thanks for the pics

Well said. How many others might be viewing these photos and thinking:

"I agree! Those guns look TERRIBLE! I would NEVER been seen with a gun that looked like THAT! ALL my guns are hard-chromed and my equipment is color-coordinated, plus I keep MY guns SPOTLESS!!" (-said the C class shooter with lots of money & no interest in dry-firing).

Beware the man with the fugly gun!

Thanks for the pics. :cheers:

Sick! :surprise:

I had a chance to shoot one of Robbie's long slide guns during his steel class at Rio Salado in April. He gave me a a few magazines to put through it. Awesome! Trigger must have been 1 lb or less. He had the long slide top end on Kippi's frame. It looked well used, but way nicer than the pictures posted. The longer sight radius can fool you into thinking the gun is flipping more in recoil, but it isn't.

If I remember correctly, Rob mentioned that the long slide has been lightened to equal the weight of his standard length limited gun.

I've been in contact with the Springfield Custom shop, and building one of these guns will cost as much or more as most Open guns out there. Still, I'm tempted to get the project started... Maybe a bit of overtime at work will cover it. I've been wanting to have them build me a Limited gun for quite some time.

(Anyone looking for an STI/SPS Limited gun package)? I will be selling it shortly.

I understand that Springfield builds their own double stack frame. :goof: They are not Para frames.

8 months and close to four grand... I'd better start saving now! :lol:

Better route for a steel frame highcap limited gun?

Caspian.

There are now .40 mags for the Caspian hicap frame. I am sure any of the top STI/SV builders out there would be happy to build you a really top-notch limited 6" on the high-quality, US-made, Caspian limited frame. And, Caspian has also consistently supported USPSA (and so has springfield- I know).

Edited by Carlos

In another life, I was at the Grand American Trap Shoot in Vandalia, Oh. I am told it is the largest competetive shooting tournament in the world. Saw one of the big time AA shooters with his new Perazzi put the barrel in an open receiver hitch and bend the barrel up. Really leaned on it - crinkled the rib and screwed up the forearm attachment in the process. But got it to shoot high like he wanted it. About a $10m gun. My limited gun is pretty, I get compliments on it - I like it that way - but then I basically suck at this game.

My current open gun is a bit too pretty, but I'm starting to wear the finish off. My previous gun was built by Millenium Custom's (the first go 'round') John DeAngelo. It was kinda pretty when I got it, but was never given a finish (my choice) and is still in the white. If rush shows up, I dremel it off, If theres a sharp edge, I dremel it off. The latest comp doesn't match the slide profile....but it works and has won me many matches

I guess I'm disappointed in the companies that sponsor them. If we're to bring new shooters into the sport, it doesn't help if the top shooters are using "fugly" guns. None of my guns are nice looking but at least its presentable. I'm more function over form but for the guys that are sponsored? They should be provided something visually appealling to the casual observer. Don't get me wrong. I like the lightening cuts on both guns and can only wish my guns run as well as theirs.

Edited by yoshidaex

No way.

The guns are instant proof that you don't need a shiny, expensive, new blaster, but you had better take what you got and practice.

For the sponsors, it's proof that the guns will hold up for a lot of abuse.

My problem is that neither gun company catalogs a gun that is anything like them.

can only wish my guns run as well as theirs.

You obviously didn't see TJ in the '06 Open/Production Nationals... :lol: He had equipment issues at the '07 FL Open, as well, losing his front sight in the middle of a stage.... Don't necessarily wish that one yourself :lol:

In general, these guys treat their guns as tools - they get used, they get abused, and they look like it. TJ has been known for shooting the same gun year after year, just stopping to have it rebarrelled or re-top-ended. Robbie always seems to be shooting different things, but they always seem to be in a perpetual state of development. Many times, that means that the gun looks like what it is - a well used tool, or a work in progress. Stopping to refinish the gun can take away valuable practice time with the gun, so... they don't.

You'd think that a sponsored shooter would have pretty toys, and stuff - and some of them certainly do... But, in the end, pretty can equate to "not used enough" - and these two guys in particular use their tools on a constant basis ;)