Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Concealment Garment

HoMiE

So I am not big on wearing vests and don't wear them unless I have to on a CoF (usually borrow someone else's).

I've heard of people using oversized shirts (Hawaiian style maybey?), not really my style, any other suggestions?

I've used dennim shirts and an addidas jogging jacket. Tried a pull over sweat shirt once. It didn't work out too well. Hell I just use what I have one summer match I just pulled my t shirt out of my pants and used that. Not very"tactical" :blink:

Thin jacket from Mountain Hardwear. I also wear my Simms Windstopper DL jacket or vest. I don't like the shoot me vests either, but they do work well. Winstopper fleece is amazingly quiet, durable and will handle the "sweep" as well as anything made and they come in drab type colors and hide weapons quite well. Pretty snuggly, too.

www.simmsfishing.com

I'm one of those weird "shoot what you carry" guys, and I wear either pseudo-Hawaiian shirts or just the plaid Dickies shirts from Wally World during warm weather (in Louisiana, that's most of the year). They're long enough to cover anything I have that's legal to shoot in IDPA, assuming the use of concealment gear. When it cools off, I wear either a vest or a jacket that covers, usually an insulated flannel shirt.

It's funny, everyone talks about vests as a dead giveaway for someone packing. I've been doing a couple projects at the Federal Bldg in St Louis. I can always spot the federal guys carrying because they have their untucked button down collar shirts on that are obviously too big for them. I think it's more a matter of your awareness, then what someone is wearing. I've worn vests, jackets, loud Cuban/Hawaiian shirts, denim shirts, sweatshirts, you name it. It's all a matter of what works for you and you're comfortable with. Regardless of what you wear, the trick is to blend in.

One of our guys wears a BDU shirt. He has one with the sleeves taken out for summer.

I think it it interesting; on the one hand we read that you should conceal discreetly and blend in.

If you wear a photo vest, black fanny pack, etc., etc. that everybody will know you have a gun.

On the other hand, there seems to be some interest in open carry wherever legal.

Either way, does that mean the crooks will ambush you or leave you alone?

I have a closet full of vests for IDPA matches. Most are 5.11 Tactical... but they get damn hot in high temps. The negative for many of the "shirt style" options mentioned in this thread....is that gamers like me want to have huge pockets to catch my mags. or moon clips on tactical reloads and many of the options mentioned don't provide that.

You can often pick up some good usable bargains at military surplus stores.

So I just drag one of the vests around and only put it on when I'm shooting. Hey for the 15 seconds or so that most IDPA stages take... who cares what it feels like... I'm busy tracking that front sight and could be wearing a floor length yack leather coat lined with wool and not know it. I just want the functionality.

BDU Shirt, with sleeves cut off,, I cut the sleeves off after I was told I couldnt store mags in a shirt pocket, off come the sleeves now it's a vest, I really dont like all the "Tactical Vests" way to busy and too many pockets just complete overkill, I had a Cabelas safari vest for a couple days, it had pockets on top of pockets so much it weighed a ton just in material. So BDU shirt with sleeves cut off and hemmed, Zip ties sewn into front vertical seam,

I'm not a big fan of the tactical vests. I would never wear one outside of IDPA so I won't wear one when shooting. I use a light fleece vest from Columbia sporstwear. It's something I would wear in the spring and fall here in New England anyway. It works great.

Cause frankly I don't give a crap about "what would I wear daily" when in a match. When I am outside of MD where I'm allowed to carry, it's either a 642 in a pocket holster or a P220 in a IWB usually w/ a shirt tucked in around it, neither setup is very competition friendly. Besides, the 5.11 comes in handy when camping, and carries the 642 nicely (as well as other gear, water, etc).

None of my other gear is "everyday" so who cares? To keep from having "competition specific" knee pads, I had to buy 5.11 pants so that I could have under-the-pants knee pads (I got tired of coming home w/ bloody knees from landing on rocks).

ps with the 5.11 vest be sure to leave the little loops inside the vest un-buttoned or cut them off, or they can pull mags out of pouches and get you a PE (ask me how I know).

The 5.11 is plenty long to cover a belt/paddle holster, sweeps clear for consistant draws, and can be useful outside of idpa.

my 2cents

-rvb

Edited by rvb

Since we are only playing games, I use a Sportman's Guide Photographers vest with a light plastic insert inside and an 8 oz weight in each front pocket. It's a game so lets game.

WHAT? NO WAY!

BLASPHEMER!! :surprise::surprise::surprise:

Edited by Crusher

I know it's just a game I prefer to use no concealment garment . When I can get away with it I do just that. :ph34r:

There is one club in this area that does just that.Also for the one year when we(Chattanooga Rifle Club)were an IDPA club it was optional.

If it's cool enough I use a fairly stiff flannel shirt. During the summer I use a similar short-sleeved shirt. I did use a cheap plastic raincoat that stays in my truck one time. Left the normal concealment at home.