Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida Open 2008

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm...motel has wireless....Cab33 -- you're right -- there aren't any speedshoots in the way I'd think of 'em. But your range report sux. :)

Starting Saturday PM/Sunday AM. Walked the stages this afternoon, got to meet XRe, and a host of other Enos forum members. I'm on a terrific squad that included nhglyn, Jack Suber and his young 'un, and a bunch of top-shelf NC open gunners.

I only really studied stages 8,9,10,11 & 12...I'm reminded of the two previous Open's I've shot. The field courses all have long steel ( stage 8 starts you with 4 plates and two paper at ~25m), and targets if you forget, you won't see again. Lots of poppers and targets right at that 'iffy' distance to shoot at the move, for those that ain't M's or above. Zero no-shoots, and zero painted hard-cover, which I guess is a trademark of these matches?

Stages 10 and 11 are interesting. You shoot them back to back, and they're 16 rounds each. Both stages consists of targets behind a wall, with two ports. In front of each wall is a wide shooting box divided into 3 sections parallel to the wall. Deal is, you must shoot at least one shot from each section, and shooting and having a foot in different sections is a procedural.

Looks like a great match!

Steve,

We met last year at the match prior to that you sold me the KKM barell for my G35. Guess your weather is way better this year than last. Work kept me out of the match this year. Your stage descriptions sound familiar by design. Good luck and have fun. Wish I could have been there. I recommend participating in the shoot offs on Sunday!

To the rest...We need video or pics!!!!

So, what's up with the chrono, anyway? I never did get a final answer on that - I know the "super" squad was not chrono'ed today, apparently due to chronograph malfunction (possibly caused by the rain?). It sounded like perhaps no one was chrono'ed? If the match is being run by USPSA rules (which I also can't completely confirm - its "assumed", but...???), that means everyone makes declared power factor, correct??? ;)

My squad (when one of the chrono's worked on Friday) each had 1 round shot through the chrono as it sat on a tire. The match is being run under USPSA rules but according to a couple of the RO's its "technically" being run as a Level 1 match to allow some flexibility in how stages are setup and run (their words not mine).

I shot on Friday (once again, in the RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!) and we were never chrono'd either.

Can anyone help me with what time of day Eric Grauffel shot today?

Edited by Zerwas

Thanks to Rick for loaning me his camcorder this weekend...!!! I've filmed a bit of the match so far. I'll try to get more tomorrow. This is a reaaaally tough match and it's definitely not the match for me to attempt in Limited. I already have 4 mikes and some times that the RO's took off their wrist watches! :blink:

But... A LOT of fun!!!

Here's couple o' vids

Eric Grauffel (with the nicest RO you'll ever meet! Shoots pretty good too. :D )

and our own XRe

Some vid -

My day was up and down... some really, really good shooting in the there.... and some not so good shooting in there, too. Going to go out focused to do a majority of the former tomorrow morning... ;)

Edited by XRe

I've just got no business shooting Limited... but I crack myself up!

In comparison to Eric Grauffel... Me!

ha ha ha!

:lol:

I didn't see a difference did anybody else? Good job

Nor did I but then I couldn't get the link to work either :surprise:

Edited by rwmagnus

They ran the chrono ammo through "range guns" and called folks to the tent if the ammo did not make the claimed factor through the "range guns". Since they did not happen to have a 9x25 range gun (I am sure they will correct that for next year :closedeyes: ), I was asked to supply my gun.

I'm sure I'm not the only one out here in cyberspace who's dying to know... did any of our guys manage to beat Grauffel? Any info would be much appreciated. As I recall from years past Frank Garcia doesn't always post results particularly quickly on his website.

Grauffel was on one of the "Super Squads" and shot on the Sunday afternoon schedule. They did not finish shooting until recently. I left while they were shooting one of their last stages so, obviously, only interim stage scores had been posted. As far as stage wins, they looked pretty evenly distributed between Chris, Max and Eric for the stages that I saw. When I left, Eric had just lost a popper calibration challenge.

I will link to the results page here, as soon as they are up.

Edited by L9X25

Grauffel was on one of the "Super Squads" and shot on the Sunday afternoon schedule. They did not finish shooting until recently. I left while they were shooting one of their last stages so, obviously, only interim stage scores had been posted. As far as stage wins, they looked pretty evenly distributed between Chris, Max and Eric for the stages that I saw. When I left, Eric had just lost a popper calibration challenge.

I will link to the results page here, as soon as they are up.

Unconfirmed (but very reliable) report is that Max beat Eric G. I sure would love to hear from folks that shot the match!

I just returned from the match which was my third Florid Open. As usual, I had a blast! Most of the stages had long shots and put a premium on points over speed.

The match crew did their usual outstanding job of prop construction and decoration. :bow: My thanks to all of them! :wub:

Yesterday's weather was a bit of a drag with some sprinkles and two short bouts of rain but it was not too bad. Today was excellent. B)

I shot on Squad 27 with Fireant, Kenny D and the Stubers along with some other great gents. We were on the Saturday PM/Sunday AM schedule. We started on Stage 8 and finished on Stage 7. The consensus of our squad was that these were the two most challenging stages. Both had 25 to 30 yard shots on small steel plates and turtle targets. :o The steel ate up a couple of folks even though they had dots. It was very difficult for those without dots.

We did have our ammo tested with the chrono just after lunch yesterday. They shot our ammo through some old guns with worn barrels. As long as they made the respective PF through these, they didn't have us shoot it through our guns. If they had not, the chrono operator said they would have come and had us shoot it through our own guns.

I haven't seen the final scores since I left after lunch and they haven't been posted on the web yet but I was more than happy to get out of there with 90% of the possible points and only two Mikes for the match. I won't win any awards but I sure had a great time. :)

Edited by XD Niner