Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida Open 2008

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah unfortunately I'm going to be moving down to NJ soon after getting home from the Open. I found out with very little notice, couldn't be worse timing. I just booked my flight to the Double Tap also w/ Steve, Elye, and his dad also at the end of March. Oh well, I'll be at the Feb match, and that will probably be the last one for a while. I'll see you in Florida hopefully.

I'd definitely be interested in meeting up with some BEnosers, especially one from Jersey!! I just found out I'm moving back down there March 1st, and need to plan where I'm gonna be shooting all year. I'm staying at the green gables, from friday night until Sunday, I'll be the young guy(23) all by himself cause his friends are lazy. Beers sound good right now, it's cold in VT. I can't wait to get down to some warm weather. YAY!!!!!

Andy, you're leavin us? Say it ain't so!

Anyone have an idea of what time things generally wrap up on Friday? My wife is dropping my off on Friday morning and then going to visit family; I just wanted to give her an idea of when to head back. Thanks.

I'll get to see tomorrow, but you probably will too, so... :D The weather is warm as heck here in St. Petersburg today - NOAA's saying its 75 outside, but it feels a lot warmer than that out in the sun. Definitely shorts weather here. I should've brought sandals with me, but... oh well... ;)

Looking like it'll mostly be warm on the range this weekend, too - highs of 78 tomorrow and Saturday, 73 on Sunday, with lows around 50... Totally not like last year... which is a good thing! :D

Looking like it'll mostly be warm on the range this weekend, too - highs of 78 tomorrow and Saturday, 73 on Sunday, with lows around 50... Totally not like last year... which is a good thing! :D

That doesn't suck! :rolleyes: Hitting the road at O'dark thirty looking to arrive about 3:00pm. Can't wait. First big match on my fixed knee!!

Will the squad list be posted on Thursday?

Will there be early registration?

The answer to both of these should be yes ... barring any unforseen catastrophe.

Is the squad list posted anywhere?

Bruce

When I was there yesterday the Friday shooters list was up but not the Sat/Sun.

Well I'mback from the range, got to follow around manny bragg, angus hobdell, and dave sevigney which was really neat, rained a lot at one point, dried up for the most part around noon I think. Should be a really fun match, I'm also hoping to get some video to put up on youtube also. can't complain about the weather either, just sat by the pool reading a book smokin a stogie, can't do that in Vermont right now!!!

Hmm...motel has wireless....Cab33 -- you're right -- there aren't any speedshoots in the way I'd think of 'em. But your range report sux. :)

Starting Saturday PM/Sunday AM. Walked the stages this afternoon, got to meet XRe, and a host of other Enos forum members. I'm on a terrific squad that included nhglyn, Jack Suber and his young 'un, and a bunch of top-shelf NC open gunners.

I only really studied stages 8,9,10,11 & 12...I'm reminded of the two previous Open's I've shot. The field courses all have long steel ( stage 8 starts you with 4 plates and two paper at ~25m), and targets if you forget, you won't see again. Lots of poppers and targets right at that 'iffy' distance to shoot at the move, for those that ain't M's or above. Zero no-shoots, and zero painted hard-cover, which I guess is a trademark of these matches?

Stages 10 and 11 are interesting. You shoot them back to back, and they're 16 rounds each. Both stages consists of targets behind a wall, with two ports. In front of each wall is a wide shooting box divided into 3 sections parallel to the wall. Deal is, you must shoot at least one shot from each section, and shooting and having a foot in different sections is a procedural.

Looks like a great match!

I only really studied stages 8,9,10,11 & 12...I'm reminded of the two previous Open's I've shot. The field courses all have long steel ( stage 8 starts you with 4 plates and two paper at ~25m), and targets if you forget, you won't see again. Lots of poppers and targets right at that 'iffy' distance to shoot at the move, for those that ain't M's or above. Zero no-shoots, and zero painted hard-cover, which I guess is a trademark of these matches?

There are some long steel shots - 7 has a couple, too. But, really only 7, 8, and 9 have them. 1, 2, 5, and 6 are field courses, but no steel...

And, yeah, the no no-shoots or hardcover, and targets in what I call the "hinky range" are pretty much the signature of this match... ;) And, for the record, that's still an iffy, careful distance for those M and above, too... ;) heh heh... :D Just the distance maybe moves out a little bit....

Stages 10 and 11 are interesting. You shoot them back to back, and they're 16 rounds each. Both stages consists of targets behind a wall, with two ports. In front of each wall is a wide shooting box divided into 3 sections parallel to the wall. Deal is, you must shoot at least one shot from each section, and shooting and having a foot in different sections is a procedural.

Those boxes are really the only issue I see in the match - the construction makes it very difficult to determine where a shooter is - are you in the front, the middle, or the back, or two of those, or none, or....????

So, what's up with the chrono, anyway? I never did get a final answer on that - I know the "super" squad was not chrono'ed today, apparently due to chronograph malfunction (possibly caused by the rain?). It sounded like perhaps no one was chrono'ed? If the match is being run by USPSA rules (which I also can't completely confirm - its "assumed", but...???), that means everyone makes declared power factor, correct??? ;)