Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

gun choice

punchdrunk

With ammo prices thru the roof. I have decided to sell my 1911 45 and buy something new.

Would like to hear suggestions from you! I am buying a new gun for idpa and general shooting. My basic want list is semi auto. 9mm. with a thumb safety. budget up to 1000 bucks. What would you pick within those basic rules?

thanks!

CZ-75B or a variant thereof. About $400 for the gun, about $200 for sights and a trigger job, then divide up the rest among holsters, mag pouches and magazines. You'd be able to shoot SSP and ESP, and if you want to shoot USPSA you can shoot Production (and Limited and Limited 10 if you don't mind shooting minor).

I recommend this over a 9x19 1911 because the CZ will run, whereas a 9x19 1911 might run due to persnickety tastes in mags.

With ammo prices thru the roof. I have decided to sell my 1911 45 and buy something new.

Would like to hear suggestions from you! I am buying a new gun for idpa and general shooting. My basic want list is semi auto. 9mm. with a thumb safety. budget up to 1000 bucks. What would you pick within those basic rules?

thanks!

Glock 17, 19, ot 34...... wait, just wait a minute, with a Cominolli manual thumb safety installed. A pretty clever setup indeed. You can see my G21 set up this way at http://www.parmarng.org/freeidaho/default.html . On the second screen see Glock Manual Safety on the left. Not everyones cup of tea. But it is reliable, has a typical Glock trigger, and a manual thumb safety for those of us that grew up with the 1911.

kr

Edited by freeidaho

As much as I like the glock I would recomend the cz. I really like shooting my single action cz 75b. It sits nicely in my hand and is quite accurate. The double action version would allow you to shoot ssp and esp. It's a good reliable gun at a good price and you can put up too 20 rounds in a basically stock mag if you want.( 10, 15 or 16 in a cz 75 mag and 19 in a spo1 mag 20 if you do a little doctoring of the follower.

If glock fits your had better it is also a very good way to go. I have a glock 23 that I really like but I have some problems with my hads that make it uncomfortable for my to shoot.

Your best bet is to go down to a range that rents guns and shoot as many nines as you can until you find one you like. :rolleyes:

Just my opinion

A .45 is not that expensive to shoot if you load lead bullets. Me thinks you just want a new gun. No problem with that. Why do you need a thumb safety? If you want a 1911 9mm just get a Kimber. I can't think of a better 1911. Another plus with the Kimber is you can fit a .40 barrel to it.

Can I assume you don't reload? The two 9mm guns that own IDPA are the Glock 17/34 and 9mm 1911.

Dillon Square Deal B....and keep on shooting what ya got. :)

Dang - Flex might've come up with the best suggestion yet! :bow: $300 for the press, and $700 for components would equal about 3k of loaded ammo, and that's only because you'd have to buy brass the first time around, otherwise it'd be closer to 5K of loaded ammo.

Of course, if space or spouse is the problem, then I'd still go with the CZ. :)

Glock 17, 19, ot 34...... wait, just wait a minute, with a Cominolli manual thumb safety installed. A pretty clever setup indeed...Not everyones cup of tea. But it is reliable, has a typical Glock trigger, and a manual thumb safety for those of us that grew up with the 1911.

kr

Since the thumb safety is not original to the gun, it now falls under an external recoil controlling device which is not legal in any USPSA/IPSC division except Open.

Rich

Since the thumb safety is not original to the gun, it now falls under an external recoil controlling device which is not legal in any USPSA/IPSC division except Open.

Yes, but this is the IDPA forum.

I agree Duane but it was brought up in earlier posts about a gun being feasible in both sports. That said, STI Trojan in 9mm would be my vote.

Rich

So. I am sitting with SA 1911 Or CZ. or Sti trojan? Still looking for other options! Want to give them all consideration before I buy. Must admit I am worried about function on 9mm 1911s.

ps. for the guys who wonder about the thumb saftey. I like em. They make me feel warm and fuzzy. I am a worrier by nature. The thumb safety doesn't prevent Accidental discharges... it prevents worrying about them for me. Like Sun Tzu... know your enemy and know yourself... wait were gonna have to move this to the Zen forum. :P

Hello: It depends on what class you want to shoot in. If you want to shoot SSP I think the Glock 34 is king. For ESP you could still use the G34 or buy a Kimber 9mm. I bought a Kimber Eclipse 10mm and converted it to 9mm and 40. I never had any problems at all with factory ammo in 9mm and Kimber/Metalform magazines. I would buy a reloader no matter what. You can find Square Deal B's on E-bay for around $230 shipped. I would also start collecting brass right now. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Dillon Square Deal B....and keep on shooting what ya got. :)

Beware of reloading machines... The next thing you know you will have plenty of amunition and you will have no excuse not to be practicing all the time. Actually that is the best advice yet. I got the cz so I could shoot when I didn't have time to reload but now I'm collecting brass and getting ready to load 9. if you do the math you will find that reloading is more cost effective than buy a new gun. :ph34r: " gun store owners aregoing to start hunting me now.

CZ 75 B in Single Action, .40S&W or 9mm and then get the work done to it to make it SA/DA. According to discussions on another thread with an okay from USPSA this rig can fly in USPSA production, which hopefully means that it can play in IDPA as well in SSP and ESP. It still has the manual safety and you can get the trigger worked down to a very light and smooth Single Action pull for ESP. Might even still have money leftover for a Square Deal B.

I went from Glocks, to 1911s and then found CZs.

Since you want options ...

If you'd like to follow the spirit of that 1911 to a higher plain, why not go to his ultimate design .. the BHP. Let me answer that question myself ... it likely won't take high volume abuse. Other than that, I like it a little better than the cz-75. Will switching to a double stack be ok?

One thing I like about a high power is the ability to get a big stick for it. MecGar makes a 20 round, and putting an extension on will get you to 23 rounds. There is also the cheaper 30 round mags, but I don't know how they do for reliability. This makes it a pretty decent gun for the occasional rogue 3 gun match with no mag limits.

I don't think you are going to get a better suggestion than the 1911 in 9mm if you want to stay single stack, and the CZ (I'd say 75 SA, or sp01) if you want double stack.

Just mho, but now your gun fund is .02 cents depleted.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks!

Why sell the .45? If you don't shoot it it doesn't cost anything to keep it. Buy what ever you want, but only sell a gun you hate or if someone makes you an offer you can't refuse. Besides if you are a 1911 man you'll buy another eventually anyway. JMHO

Robin