Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kershaw SpeedSafe Knife

glockrocker

Just spending a few days in St. Louis. Saw the Cards lose tonight against the Padres :( . What I hate is that while entering the St. Louis Arch last night I saw a sign stating that illegal knives where not allowed inside the Arch. Ok...I'm good with that, but my little Kershaw which has the cool assisted opening feature on it was specifically listed as illegal in the state of Missouri. I asked a nearby officer and he reaffirmed the fact that it is illegal to carry one of these "Kershaw assisted opening knives" on your person in this state. I love my little knife. It's cool. I like to fiddle with it when I'm bored and am attached to it. Kershaw says that it does not qualify as a switchblade under federal law due to technical wording in the law regarding buttons and gravity assist and whatever, but apparently Missouri doesn't see it that way. I guess it is probably illegal in some other states as well? I tried to google it to find out what other states have laws against my little pocket knife, but just a bunch of confusion out there it seems. Damn. I like my freakin little pocket knife and now I don't know if I can even carry it or not. I drive through many different states on a regular basis so I guess I have to leave my little knife at home. I imagine if I got caught with my pocket knife in the wrong state I could potentially lose my Concealed Carry Permit? Conviction of carrying an "illegal weapon", or maybe transporting an" illegal weapon" accross state lines would probably be enough to lose my permit I would guess. It's not fun losing something you like to a bunch of......it's just not fun losing something you like no matter who you are losing it to. It just sucks.

That sucks, I love my kershaw and it is a good company to deal with. They will keep getting my money.

Rick

+1...Very true. I love Kershaw. I am a life long customer and always will be. Hope my rant didn't come accross as being pissed at them cause I'm not at all. :)

I carry a Kershaw 1660 everyday.

I noticed a "no knives" sign when I visited the Arch a few years ago.

I also legally CCW in MO.

I figured it was a Parks dept./arch policy, not a state law.

my pocketknife...

Kershaw-leek-1660-350x350.gif

Many of the state laws---Maybe most ---- don't make sense.... on "okay" weapons.

In Michigan I can carry an assisted opening knife (mine is a Case).....and any number of concealed pistols (with the proper license)... but they won't let me carry mace, a switchblade, any two edged knife, a telescopic baton, a black jack, or brass knuckles.

The logic behind pistols being okay while many less lethal weapons are illegal leaves me shaking my head every time I think about it.

Kentucky's Concealed Carry Deadly Weapons law covers deadly weapons. Knives, saps even those toy 'death stars'.

As far as Kershaw goes, I got the Rainbow leek so it would not look like a weapon.... :ph34r:

MO has a lot more to worry about than pocket knives. :wacko:

My usual pocket knife is the exact one that derek45 pictured above...except that I removed the clip so that it is even more streamlined. It would be even more perfect if they made it in titanium.

I live in Texas and have always wondered if the Kershaw was illegal. After doing some research I'd guess that it probably is. The statutes define that "switch blades" are illegal:

"Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath, and that:

(A) opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle; or

(B) opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force.

Here's more info:

http://www.knifeknives.com/data/laws.html

Guess I have to Hate stupid laws that allow me to carry a concealed handgun (with license), but not a 2" pocket knife with spring assist...but I can carry a folder with a 5.5" blade.

Here's some other links to other state regulations.

http://www.donath.org/Rants/StateKnifeLaws/

http://pw1.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm

L

What a JOKE. I carry one just like the pictured one except its the black finish and I took off the clip and lock mechanism. Kept getting change stuck in it.

I love mine and with the Spyderco sharpening kit its usually ready to shave with!

The knife I have is also the 1660ST as pictured above. Here is a photo I took today of the posting at the arch. BTW the officer I spoke with was not one of the security guards at the metal detectors, he was a St. Louis Police officer who confirmed verbally to me that the knife was illegal in Missouri. The picture came out a bit blurry due to glare off of the glass entryway.

post-6798-1186625056.jpg

I've shied away from carrying one of the Kershaws just because I can see somebody with an attitude and no knowledge of the actual law claiming it's a switchblade and causing me all sorts of unnecessary delay and irritation (which is a bummer, 'cause I like them otherwise)

I had sent an email to Kershaw yesterday. Here is their response. Not sure what to make out of it now, but thought I would post it as I know many of us carry these kind of knives. The original email I sent to Kershaw is listed below the response I received. The attachment sent by Kershaw is included as well:

Thank you for purchasing our knives. Our knives are legal in all 50 States and Canada. Unfortunately not all officers know this, they see the speed and instantly think switchblade. We do not make switchblades. We have been making these assisted opening knives for 9 years. We have won cases in TX, IL, MI, CA and Canada.

These knives are sold in all 50 States, by every retailer that sells knives.

I have attached some info for your reading. I can't give you legal advice. You might just want to be careful where you would carry your knife in the future, i.e. courthouses, federal places, airports, or any place with a metal detector.

Most instances we have run across it is better to surrender your knife, have a good attitude with an officer and things will turn out just fine. Much better to purchase another knife than get a citation.

Legal_FederalLTR.Kai1.doc

Again thank you.

Jeff Goddard

Director of Sales and Marketing

Kai USA, Ltd.

Kershaw Knives, Zero Tolerance Knives &

Shun Cutlery

18600 SW Teton Ave

Tualatin, OR 97062

800-325-2891

503-682-7168 fax

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Contact Us Web Form [mailto:donotreply@kershawknives.com]

Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 9:04 PM

To: info@kershawknives.com

Subject: Undefined (Kershaw)

Urgency.........: Normal

Subject.......: Undefined (Kershaw)

------------------------------------------------------------

I have 2 Kershaw 1660ST knives which have the assisted opening feature. I have had these knives for nearly 5 years and bought 2 so I would never be without. I absolutely love these knives. To my horror (slightly exaggerating) I visited the St. Louis Arch yesterday and there was a sign at the entrance notifying the public that no illegal knives were allowed in the facility. My Kershaw knife was specifically listed as illegal in the state of Missouri. I inquired of a police officer nearby and he confirmed that it was illegal in Missouri to "carry one of these Kershaw knives on your person". I am an over the road truck driver and travel to many different states. I have carried this knife for years and now don't know how many states that I may be breaking the law in. Can you please supply me with a list of state where this knife is illegal or refer me to a resource I can use to find out. I have tried to search on the web for answers, but have been unsuccessful in finding answers thus far. Any information you can provide would be very valuable to a lifelong Kershaw customer such as myself. Thank you.

I suspect this may be an over zealous sign made up by urban/ city officers.

Seems like all big cities have an anti-gun / anti self defense mindset.

St.Louis City was big hurdle in getting MO CCW passed.

This sign looks bogus to me.

How can so called MO "State Law" result in a federal offence. ? ? ? ?

These knives can be purchased in Wal-Marts, even across the river, in the Peoples-Republic-of-Illinois.

Another reason to stay out of the city, but if I go, I'll carry my milt sparks/1911 and leave my toy knife at home.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for getting additional info from Kershaw. I'm not about to give up carying my streamlined pocket knife. Another post suggests that it's wise to surender the knife if requested...good advice. It's not worth the hassle when the knife can be replaced for $25.

What I REALLY like carrying is my Microtech UTX-70 (DA, OTF)...pic'd here. It's definately illegal, but I used to carry it...very light weight. Once I was in a position where I was nearly forced to go through a metal detector with it. Fortunately I remembered it in time and was able to backtrack and put it in the car. Made me break out in a sweat realizing that I almost walked through metal detector in a courthouse with an illegal knife. I carry it infrequently now.

microtec.bmp

Going through a courthouse with that would have been bad.

I still stick with the quick openers benchmades, spyderco's etc. Not spring assisted but once you get the hang of them really fast. I have gone into courthouses many of times carying one with no problem.

Kentucky's Concealed Carry Deadly Weapons law covers deadly weapons. Knives, saps even those toy 'death stars'.

As far as Kershaw goes, I got the Rainbow leek so it would not look like a weapon.... :ph34r:

MO has a lot more to worry about than pocket knives. :wacko:

OOOOHHHH I want a toy Death Star!

How big are they and what is the total distruction area?

Sorry the monkies made me do it.

My usual pocket knife is the exact one that derek45 pictured above...except that I removed the clip so that it is even more streamlined. It would be even more perfect if they made it in titanium.

I live in Texas and have always wondered if the Kershaw was illegal. After doing some research I'd guess that it probably is. The statutes define that "switch blades" are illegal:

"Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath, and that:

(A) opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle; or

(B) opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force.

Here's more info:

Guess I have to Hate stupid laws that allow me to carry a concealed handgun (with license), but not a 2" pocket knife with spring assist...but I can carry a folder with a 5.5" blade.

Here's some other links to other state regulations.

http://www.donath.org/Rants/StateKnifeLaws/

http://pw1.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm

L

The key here is the 'device' to open the knife is NOT on the handle. It's on the blade. Plus the torsion bar (I think that what Kershaw calls it) keeps the blade shut so it complies with the second section of the law. I don't know what part of the state you're in but in Amarillo a couple years ago there was a case and the assisted knifes won.

Just to throw my 2 cents in here... There are some areas/states that are so anal about concealed weapons that if you do in fact take the clip off the kershaw or any other knife and just carry it in your pocket, you have now concealed a weapon, whereas you would have been better off keeping it clipped to your pocket so everyone including zealous cops can see it and is thus not concealed.

Yes, I know it sounds bass ackwards but that's the society of laws we live in now.

That sucks. I don't understand knife laws, not like some punk on the corner is going to stop carrying a shiv cause of an ordinance or prohibition.

I did stop carrying my Kershaws, even though they are (allegedly) legal where they live.

About 4 years ago I was mistaken for someone the cops were looking for. I was standing in my back yard, and here my neighbor 2 doors down threatened someone with a shotgun and took off. Not knowing this was going one, I walked around the front of the house right about the time the police arrived. They surrounded me and took 2 knives off of me, both kershaw assisted knives. Boy did finding two knives really make the cop uncomfortable.

Now I was on my own property and not breaking any laws, so I wasn't worried about being arrested or anything, but while I was sitting there i was absolutely terrified the cop would try to open the knife.

In the past, I saw two people get nailed by the tip of a kershaw knife when they were opening it. Either their off hand was near the sweep of the blade or a finger was near the tip- and not knowing what a self assist knife was or did, they didn't expect the knife to open by itself after the nudge on the thumb stud. So when the blade snapped out unexpectedly, it took a piece of their hand with them. Seeing how I was one of those two, I remember vividly the incident.

So here the cop was standing there with one knife in each hands, and I had this mental image seeing this happen for a third time, and wondering if I'd be blamed for it.

After that, I stopped carrying them.

• 2 weeks later...
The knife I have is also the 1660ST as pictured above. Here is a photo I took today of the posting at the arch. BTW the officer I spoke with was not one of the security guards at the metal detectors, he was a St. Louis Police officer who confirmed verbally to me that the knife was illegal in Missouri. The picture came out a bit blurry due to glare off of the glass entryway.

post-6798-1186625056.jpg

This is just so funny.. it's like California's "Assualt Weapons Ban".. try to name them. Then someone else makes one.. it's legal?

So, a Buck 'ASAP' knife is ok?

I just got one, had the Kershaw already