Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Accessories

TRG65

I'm currently using a Hogue grip sleeve with the palm swells on my 34. This has worked very well for me for the last three years. But lately I've shot a couple Glocks that don't have any covering. These slip around excessively in my hand but the smaller grip might feel a little better, the jury is still out. I go through periods of getting fed up with readjusting the Grip sleeve back into the proper position.

I'm interested in what other people use and what else you might have tried.

Thanks

Seth

I shot with the Hogue sleeves for years. For some reason, earlier this year, I pulled one off and discovered that I liked the gun better without it. Two problems cropped up without the sleeve ----- slippage and the occasional unintended activation of the extended slide release. Skateboard tape an the grip panels and a stock slide release solved the problems. Give skateboard tape a try ---- on the grip panels and on the mag bases....

The Hogue sleeve came off mine two years ago and I have not looked back. I use my G35 in 3 gun matches and the sleeve is just too sticky and I couldn't adjust the grip position on-the-fly, specially when the draw off holster isn't perfect.

I tried the Hogue sleeve once because I had an extra one (after I put screw-on Hogues on all the rest of my guns), and it was actually a bother. Moved around a lot and just didn't improve the already sort-of awkward shape of the Glock grip altogether. A shooting buddy has now twice recommended skateboard tape and swears by it. I'm taking him up on it this time. Haven't implemented it yet but will let you know.

PS--I heard that skateboard tape CAN be removed without damage; wheras the decal stuff CANNOT. Just a rumour.

HTRN,

I use the decal grip tape (sand-paper, not rubber). I also use skateboard tape (actually 3M tread tape form Home Depot).

For just one gun or two, the decal grip is handy. If I were re-gripping the whole stable of Glocks, I'd get a roll of tread/skate tape. (simple $$ decision)

For about $20 per gun, the A-Grip is the consumer favorite. I don't know that I have ever heard anything negative about it. It has a surface that is described as being like velvet. Perfect for carry and great for competition. (I have NO personal experience with it, however.)

The Power Flex tape is good too. One roll will do a few guns.

Well I went to the sporting goods store yesterday to pick up some solvent and checked out the various types of grip tape. I figured I'd give the tennis racket tape a try. Well that was an 8 dollar mistake, made the grip extremely bulky. I'm going to order the Agrip.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Seth

I used AGrip on a G20 years ago: I dry-fire so much that the stuff peeled away near strong-hand fingertips. I don't think it sticks enough to anchor the weak-hand thumb. Feels nice though. Ok for a carry gun. :blink:

On my new G35 I put on the Home Depot tape (3M Outdoor Tread in a 5 yard roll) and over that some PowerFlex, which I had kept after donating blood several times. Only thing is, the colors I saved were tan, green, and red. Built up my own swells like they show on Custom Glock Racing. You have to hit Search to find it on his site. :) Love that stuff, very consistent, sticks more as it gets hotter.

Decided the red and green was ugly and put on a Hogue Hand-all. Looks great, went over the Glock fingergrooves ok. Opens my strong hand fingers up nice (I have huge hands.) HATE IT. Moves around, too slick, squeezing it tighter actually changes the point of aim. :angry: Yuck.

Ordered Powerflex in BLACK. Till then I just put the tan color on. The whole time I've kept the 3M tape on where my left palm rides - above the mag release & clear up to the slide.

Eric Nielsen

A-28026

• 2 weeks later...

"Has anyone tried the Decal Grips? Or are these just skate tape for extra money?"

Went thru Hogue sleeve then Pachmayr &

the 3M sandpaper type tape did not last plus does not work well for even slight contours.

The stuff Home Depot sells as "Ladder Tape" is by 3M:

"3M™ Safety-Walk™ Medium Duty Resilient Tread"

It's the same material as "Decal Grip", perhaps slightly thicker &

coarser. Thick enough that edges may be skivved. It's a whopping .69

cents per foot for 1" wide. They have 2" & 4" also.

Only need a quick wipe of gun with Isopropal for prep.

Can be removed with no extra work or mess on the gun.

Works superbly and lasts indefinately.

I don't try to cover the finger swells on my 34...just the decal tape (.57 a foot from Home Depot 3m brand) on the sides and a strip along the back at the top, and the puppy points perfect.

I tried just the plain Agrip today and the gun moved in my grip, just like the plain plastic. So I pulled it back off and put a Hand-all, under it and it fills my hand much better. I'm going to give that a try tomorrow at a club match. If that doesn't work I'm going to give the ladder tape, skate tape, grip tape route. Flex I guess that is your first semi-anti-Agrip statement, I haven't given up on it totally.

Somebody once advised me to put hair spray under those rubber slip-on grips so they don't twist. Wasn't really able to try it since I had the slip-on for a very short time only. Oh, and I forgot to ask wether to use the one that's "super hold" or one that gives the hair an "extra shine." :P

Skateboard tape, or grip tape, whatever ya wanna call it. I love it. Got a big chunk of it for $5.00 @ my local surf shop (I live near Mavericks, a big surfin' spot).

I use a little wherever I think it helps, and it does help. All of the thicker options made the Glock feel wrong. Grip tape doesn't change your grip.

Regards,

What I ended up with is this: sliced off the front strap part of the Hogue Hand All, also cut off some of the backstrap. Lashed that back onto my G35 with BLACK Powerflex. Like that a lot.

Still have the black 3M grip tap on the top & bottom of both sides of the grip. It anchors my left palm while shooting, very high grip. My slide stop was occasionally popping up (left palm did it) and wasn't 100# flush to the frame. I tried to squeeze it w/pliars and the thing just SNAPPED. Now it only works with an empty mag, on the outside there's no visible slide stop and I LIKE IT!! Suppose I'll buy a replacement (standard, not extended) in case I ever wanna do Production or IDPA. Not likely though.

dvc - eric

• 4 years later...

What ever happened to Tru-Grip? I thought everyone loved it, I do. I think a grip w/o it feels like it has snot on it now.

Just putting it on my new G34 today. I thought I would try the gun w/o it, but I was wrong.

T