Chris Keen's Range Diary

Chris Keen

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Getting ready to shoot my 1st Major Match of the season in 2 weeks, so I changed out all the springs in my big-sticks, and my recoil spring & firing-pin spring (both Wolffs). I wanted to change out my shok-buff too, but I thought, maybe changing so many things all at once could lead to some problems, & then I would have a hard time diagnosing the problem, so I kept it in for tonight. I will change it out tomorrow, along with installing a new battery in the C-More.

I shot our clubs weekly practice match tonite, and had ZERO problems with all the new springs, so I feel allot better about using all that eqpt. in the Major match coming up. I shot GREAT too, so that's always satisfying!!! :)

Had some really blazing times, and only 1 D out of 3 stages. The stages aren't exactly what I'd call field courses, but they aren't stand & shoots either, and there were some tricky shots with both long-distance partials, and some opaque soft cover thrown in for fun! That always makes me less than confident about my hits, but they were all there.

Now if only I could find the motivation to actually dry fire ........... :rolleyes:

post-4139-0-18647800-1331003188_thumb.jp

Edited by Chris Keen

• 4 weeks later...

Wow .... Shot a local club match today, and looking back at my last post, perhaps I should MAKE THE TIME to dryfire <_< .... my reloads looked sorta choppy, and my weak-hand shooting is less than disadvantageous when it comes up twice in one match, so I'll be lucky if I won today based on that alone ..... but I had a good time with a great squad, and focused on my points instead of time, and did very well. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Shot a great match today at Silver Creek. Had a great time, shot a few extras here and there, and had a mag fall out of the gun when I triple tapped a close target, but otherwise a wonderful day, with awesome weather! :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking for a really good live fire training program, that was easy enough to setup, portable, cost effective, and effective. I've seen all the books by Anderson, Seeklander, Kirsch, Letham, and the rest. But I just had an epiphany today. While this might not be the most effective solution, it's certainly very simple & easy to set up RPEATEDLY to track my progress, and ...... we already have access to the stage / drill diagrams .... and that's the USPSA classifier system. :)

... Why not find a really simple classifier with only 3-4 targets (SEE BELOW) so it's easy to setup on the fly & doesn't take too much time, cause that's what we're striving for here anyways ... one that has all the basic skills ... ie. draw, reload, maybe some SHO / WHO, and run it a few times each week when you go to the range, recording not only your points & time, but also your draw time, reloads, split times & transition times. Also keep track of what hits you actually score on each target (5A/1C, 2A/4C, or all 6A, etc.) This will quickly show you what your deficiencies are.

Then you can set it up week after week, and see your progress. Pay close attention to WHAT you're progressing in. Maybe your splits are getting faster, but your accuracy is going away with it. Maybe your draw keeps getting faster/better every week. Maybe your reloads improve. Just make sure to note that as an achievement / improvement. Maybe you just saw the front sight alot more than usual. Or you vision sped up on trans. Anything that helps you learn more about YOU and what you're capable of. I like Mike Seeklanders "Live Fire Training Log" that at the bottom says "What I did really well" & also "What I learned or what I need to learn".

The human brain actually learns quicker & retains more information when we ourselves write the information down on paper. You actually think about and process the information while you are writing it down, so you remember more of it and for longer periods of time. I can tell you my draw time on a 10 yard partial target because I've done it so many times, but also because I wrote it down. That's the key! ;)

CM 99-11 El Presidente is a good all around practice of draws & reloads. (run it hands up, down, facing up & downrange)

CM 06-03 Can You Count is good to test how fast you can shoot up close. (run it normal, or shoot all 4 targets in 1 string, reloading between targets for BIG SMILES!)

CM 03-18 High Standards, CM 09-01 Six In Six Challenge, CM 08-01 4 Bill Drill, CM 03-14 Baseball Standards (fixed time), CM 09-09 Lightning & Thunder, and CM 08-02 Steeler Standards are all good for testing your reloads & SHO/WHO.

CM 09-04 Pucker Factor, CM 09-07 It's Not Brain Surgery, and CM 09-14 Eye Of The Tiger are all good accuracy games.

Don't overwhelm yourself. I just named off a few of each kind of classifier to give you all some rough ideas, and show you just how many classifiers really are easy to setup with only 3-4 targets. Pick one or two to start with, keeping track of each aspect of the stage. Points, time, hits, and draw/splits/reload time. Run 'em hands up, hands down, facing uprange, facing downrange, near to far, far to near ..... just be sure to document each variance, and of course all aspects of your shooting. You'd be amazed what you'll learn. :)

I've avoided classifier practice, except for El Presidente, because I don't want to be over classified. I haven't even practiced that enough for a 100%.

I like the idea though. I could pick two or three and even set movement up between them. Run it like a stage so to speak.

I don't know if finding 3-4 that would cover the basics could get me over classified, that's my fear, being a Grandbagger!

You are already a high level GM and it wouldn't hurt you in the least. What do you think about us mid level guys, C to A?

I have also thought that it was a good idea. Luckily, I am also procrastinator and have put off looking up some of the different kinds. Now you have some good ones all picked out for me. Nice work

I get it, I had to read your post again.......SLOWWWWWLLYY.

Good idea, and as you said, it's all right there for you. Print it out and make copies. Document your changes on the copies, viola!! Put it in a range folder and you are set, easy peasy. Repeatable! Good idea.

Edited to say, geez you are hammering those targets in that last vid. I want that!

Edited by Chris iliff

• 4 weeks later...

Shot the West.PA Sectional yesterday & I had a great time! Nice long scenic drive through the mountains to Hollidaysburg, PA and a great facility to boot! I took 1st place in Open division!!!! It was a hard fought, back and forth battle with newly elected President & all just around nice guy, Phil Strader. :) Phil had me good on a couple stages, and if I had not SEEN with my own 2 eyes how he so "masterfully" gamed the indoor stage, I never would have attempted it myself. Thanks Phil! I owe you one for that!!!! ;) But in the end I think I took 5 of the 8 from Phil. There were a few other contenders, but Phil gave me the hardest run for my money! Don't ever let him tell you he's not an Open shooter! He's a GREAT Open shooter. He was really hammering on the trigger HARD today!! LOL

I shot a little hot 173 PF ammo, with all new brass, and had nothing go wrong I couldn't blame on my own stupidity, but I finally feel like I'm getting in the groove with this Open gun! Had a great match, with only a couple of minor errors, but shot strong ALL match. After the 1st stage I turned on the after-burners & never looked back. If I hadn't had the very ironic luck to START on the hardest stage of the match I don't think I ever would have had the calm, relaxed, visual patience I needed to make accurate shots on those 40 yard poppers! Yikes those were HARD! But like I said, being calm, and being ready to aim, made a HUGE difference in my shot calling on that stage. :)

Rest of the match went well. LOTS of 2A targets, and only 5 Ds in 8 stages (something else I've been working on reducing). I actually lost a 32 round stage to Sonny Morton who ran int in the same time as me, AND be my -2 points down score with a ZERO DOWN score 0.01 seconds faster than myself! HOLY SMOKES KID! I want to see the video of THAT RUN@! :rolleyes:

Edited by Chris Keen

Thanks Ben, that was a really fun match. Lots of steel, lots of movers, a shaky bridge, a teeter totter, and even a dark house! And without a classifier, it was 8 FUN stages! :lol: (i just think classifiers are boring!) LOL

Thanks guys! I still have some more work to do on steel. I'm getting better but I still had a few makeup shots on steel that could very easily have cost me the match. I'm going to try hitting up a few more steel challenge type matches this summer to improve my accuracy. Every time we take extra shots, it costs valuable time that we cannot afford to lose.