Chris Keen

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

Here's my latest major match video from Area 8. I finished 9th in Open Division. 80 percent behind JJ, Max, Chris T., Todd, and a few other GM's. I've been mostly a LTD shooter for the last 4 years, but shooting is still shooting, so I'm open to any criticism the forum members may have for me. One thing I noticed on the first stage in the video, and also the stage with the Texas Stars, is I keep lowering the gun between target arrays and positions. I have to work on keeping the gun up between positions, and during reloads.

Planning on shooting Open for the entire year in 2012, so I need to get a big kick start NOW.

Any thing else I need to work on, let me know. Thanks ;)

After looking at your videos and then looking at your stage times in comparison to the guys winning the stages I am wondering if you are picking the best stage plans. In your videos it looks like your shooting speed should be fast enough but maybe you are not moving through the stage effectively enough. Its hard to tell what kind of foot movement you have with the first person video footage but it seems like you are doing a lot of stand shooting with a lot of non shooting running in between shooting positions. Maybe the big dogs are beating you in stage time mainly in movement through the stage? Have you seen any footage of the big dogs shooting the same stages? I found the below video of Travis shooting the last stage in your video. You can see that he used a different target engagement order in the first shooting position which allowed him to start moving to the right sooner than you so he could transition directly to the targets in the second position. He is also starting to exit the existing shooting position while engaging the last few targets so he can get to the next position sooner. The other thing to compare is shooting speed Travis is basically shooting the same speed splits as you with his Limited gun. Normally open guns on these kind of stages should be able to unload the lead faster than the limited guys.

Of course, I don't discount anything Charlie says, but look at this.

Not counting JJ "Freakin'" Racazza, who won, you are only 11.16 seconds off Max for the whole match. Now, I know YOU aren't satisfied with that. You already picked up on some gun lowering issues and Charlie has pointed out some stuff that when taken together might gain you the 11.16 difference over a 10 stage match.

But, I think your biggest gain might be found in this little statistic from the match. Max shot 1 Delta, no mikes, and no penalties. You shot 8 Deltas, 2 Mikes, and no penalties.

I didn't do all the math to figure your standings if you had only shot 1 Delta, but it was the most glaring thing to me.

Now, you know exactly what level my advice comes from, so the whole "grain of salt and all"!

Practice your visual patience.

Video was cool by the way!

• 3 weeks later...

Charlie & Chris ...... you are both absolutely right. I am working through all those things, but of course it takes time. I'm working on trying to be much more accurate, and drop alot less Charlies, and I'm striving for NO Deltas of any kind. Thats basically what I see when I look at major match results for Mx, JJ, Vogel, Sevigny, etc. I see them shooting 1-3 Deltas for the whole match, and I usually have at least a half a dozen or more.

And Charlie, I'm working on my movement. That takes alot of practice too. Area 8 was really my 1st major of the 2011 season shooting Open, so I was a little more cautious than I should have been. I didn't want to try shooting on the move at certain times, for fear of a complete miss. I've spoken with some big name shooters who say they often will just shoot a whole array of targets, then beat feet to the next one. This may or may not be the faster way, but I'm still learning, and discovery is half the fun. :)

Thanks for the tips guys. ;)

I shot another local club match today, and didn't do as well as I think I could have. My back has been bothering me lately, and the pain comes & goes, but yesterday & today were worse than usual. I made it through the match, but it wasn't pretty. And by that I mean it was just buggin' me mentally as well as physically, so I had a less-than-stellar performance.

1 Mike & a no-shoot on the classifier, and a whole lot of extra shots on the last stage killed my time. I lost to another Master by about 2%. :(

But it was a beautiful "blue-sky" September day to get out and have some fun with all my friends. :)

• 1 month later...

Shot a terrific match today. The weather was nice & warm, and the gun was running great! :)

Had a really nice run on the classifier, but alas a 95% will actually drag me down a little. Oh well, it's all good. I tried some 38 Super Comp in my gun today, and it ran great! Only thing is I don't see it as a viable option, since I still only get 29 rounds in any of my big sticks. So I'll be ordering more Super brass this week. It works just as good, maybe better.

Edited by Chris Keen

Shot a terrific match today. The weather was nice & warm, and the gun was running great! :)

Had a really nice run on the classifier, but alas a 95% will actually drag me down a little. Oh well, it's all good. I tried some 38 Super Comp in my gun today, and it ran great! Only thing is I don't see it as a viable option, since I still only get 29 rounds in any of my big sticks. So I'll be ordering more Super brass this week. It works just as good, maybe better.

Your shooting great Chris! When watching your videos, I feel as if I watching "call of duty", lol. Looks good, fix that one mag that is sticking on that last stage you shot, other than that, let your back heal and keep it up....

Chris, something I noticed while watching you shoot is that you're really aggressive in movement. Even while shooting on the move along the 180, you keep on truckin'. What's on your mind when you know you're shooting on the move along the 180?

I find myself timid along the 180 and I'm moving much slower than my shooting on the move skills requires. I'm curious for instance on the stage with the ramp how you mowed down the right side targets without losing your nerve.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, something I noticed while watching you shoot is that you're really aggressive in movement. Even while shooting on the move along the 180, you keep on truckin'. What's on your mind when you know you're shooting on the move along the 180?

I find myself timid along the 180 and I'm moving much slower than my shooting on the move skills requires. I'm curious for instance on the stage with the ramp how you mowed down the right side targets without losing your nerve.

Nothing but pure common sense. I know where the 180 is. I know I want to keep the gun pointed toword the next target.

Just keep it safe.

Edited by Chris Keen

I've been shooting a large majority of matches in Open lately, cause that's my new favorite division. I'm thinking of selling my LTD gun, and just focus on Open, but I still have like 1,000 rds of good 40 ammo loaded up for it, so I'm burning all that mojo up, and I've been shooting LTD lately, and I saw something very unusual to me. I don't really excel at shooting iron sights, but I noticed that "thing" tonite ...... you know, that thing that everyone knows, but rarely does ..... I actually USED my iron sights tonight, and I got GREAT HITS. OUTSTANDING HITS!!!!!@ B)

I didn't get any video, but I felt like I really shot well tonight. Not like I usually do with Irons. <_< But I made my mind up, b4 I even set foot in the Bldg., to let my sights be my speedometer, and tell me how fast, or how slow to shoot. :)

72 rds. very accuracy intensive match, not 1 Delta, and only 1 NS.

It was awesome!!!! Like shooting with an old friend tonight!!!!! :cheers: