Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chris Keen's Range Diary

Chris Keen

Thanks Joe. I missed hanging out with you guys in Vegas, but we'll see each other on the range again real soon! :)

PS: I'm teaching a few small classes during the off season if you want to get your band of bros together and make some magic happen right out of the gate next year! PM me if that sounds like something you'd be interested in! ;)

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great club match yesterday! I shot Production for the first time in almost a year of shooting strictly OPEN, and it was AWESOME! I broke out the trusty old M&P and even though I felt like I was in some strange dream, I shot great! It's funny how fast shooting iron sights just comes back to you like riding a bike! :)

I had 1 miss on a swinger that was a gamble to start with ...... Mental Note to Self: Never EVER plan to shoot 10 rounds from each position when starting unloaded, going to slide lock at each position, AND have a swinger on the left array & another one on the right array!!! LOL

But all in all it was a wonderful match. I had plenty of stages where I was either matching the times or beating the times of the LTD / OPEN shooters on my squad. I felt slow, but after watching the videos it seems I wasn't really that slow, in fact for shooting a Prod gun, it looked like I was shooting rather fast! I just felt slow because I was focused on the sights instead of the targets, like is typical in Open division.

Now back to work on a Monday & they tell us we're all getting iPhones for our new company phones ....... <_< (this from a die-hard Android user!) :rolleyes: How will I ever get accustomed to the different operatign system?

Now back to work on a Monday & they tell us we're all getting iPhones for our new company phones ....... <_< (this from a die-hard Android user!) :rolleyes: How will I ever get accustomed to the different operatign system?

That's going to be harder than going back to irons! I saw a video that explained how to run Android on an iPhone. Something to think about! :eek:

This is funny to me since you have been dissing Iphones for years.. Oh the horror!!!

:roflol: :roflol:

• 4 weeks later...

I got to shoot an outdoor USPSA match yesterday ...... December 16th ...... in OHIO ......WEARING SHORTS!!!! LOL :lol:

It was awesome weather so I took advantage of it, and shot my Production gun for once in the last .......say 3 years or so! :rolleyes: Unfortunately I had to go to a family Christmas party at 1:00pm so I had to bug out early, but I did get to shoot 4 stages, including the Classifier (99-22 Nuevo El Pres) which is always fun! :)

I'm really digging the new gun I've been shooting. Borrowed a XDM 9mm from a friend of mine, and I love the trigger on it so much I ordered a XDM 5.25 of my own!!!! Should be here today or tommorow at which time I'll send it off to have a trigger job done on it! I personally feel the XDM has the best Production trigger on any gun I've ever tried, much much better than the Glock or M&P. I can't wait to get this thing all tuned up! It's got an awesome out-of-the-box rear adj. sight, so after changing out the front sight ($40) and an extended mag release button ($30) I should be good to go! I ordered an extra 6 mags so I could dabble around in Prod. and hopefully get my GM card soon enough. I'm only looking for a little fun to help keep things interesting over the winter months, then it's right back to Open Div. ..... my first real love & what got me interested in USPSA to start with!!! :)

What? No CZ?

No sir. The CZ is too heavy and cumbersome. It also has a very low profile slide, making unloaded starts a bi#@h! And you know how many unloaded starts we do in USPSA now days. Seems like at least 1 stage per match anymore. I like the XDM allot. It's very lite, manageable, and easy to rack the slide. I love this gun! :)

• 2 months later...

I especially like the 5.25" slide and sight radius. Not settling for a mere 5" slide like they did with the XD Tactical, and yet not as heavy as a 6" gun, which I generally don't prefer. And they made it lighter to boot! The only 5/6" gun that is any lighter than this is the Glock, of which I am not a fan boy!

So in the end ... this might just be the perfect gun! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Been getting out and practicing when the weather allows it. Dry fire is, well ....... just rather dry! :yawn::lol:

I've been pretty busy lately just cleaning and sorting brass. Working up some different loads with my newly sponsored Rainier Bullets. They take a little extra care when crimping them so as not to distort the plating, resulting in tumbled bullets, but I got that worked out pretty early on. Now I'm just trying to get the powder drop & Power factor right.

I'm using Hodgdon Titegroup for 9mm Minor in my XDM 5.25 and it's quite a bit cleaner than i had expected. I've heard how dirty it was from numerous friends, but it's not really that bad. Maybe I just haven't shot enough of it too really dirty up the gun at this point. I've only chrono'd and practiced with 300 rounds, and only 150 at a time, cleaning the gun in between. Perhaps after shooting a few more hundred at a time it would present more of an issue, but I like what I see so far.

I chrono'd a bunch yesterday, and I'm getting about 138 PF. So I think I can trim that back about 0.1 gr. and see where that leaves me. Hopefully it will be right around 135 PF. That would be just the ticket! :)

• 2 months later...

Been really busy over the last few months. It seemed like it took forever for the weather to stabilize & the local match scene to materialize into an environment that I could stand weather-wise! I've shot a lot of local matches in the last 6 weeks, but have to work weekends from time to time. I don't mind so much as the $$$ is good! ;)

Loaded up about 2,000 rds of the bullets I had left from last year, and now I'm waiting on a shipment to come in so I can load the rest of my brass. Need to stop by the gun store and pick me up another 8lb. of Hodgdon HS-6. It's working really well in the Open gun.

I chronod a bunch over the weekend, and it looks like 9.5 gr of HS-6 is getting me about a 167 PF with a 115 gr. bullet, so I'm bumping that up to 9.6 and trying it again. Should be right about where I want to be in Open.

Shot another local match over the weekend & although I had a couple hitches here and there, bad reloads from time to time, I didn't let it hold me back. I kept shooting strong, and still managed to pull off a win none the less! I can't wait until the Ohio State match which is the last weekend of May! Less than 2 weeks from now! :cheers:

http://youtu.be/Zvrjr1MDpCU

HS6, eh? I tested that, when I built my open XDm. I ended up choosing Auto Comp though. My gun seemed to like it a wee bit better.

I always enjoy your video, Chris! Although I would have edited out those two reloads. Ha!

Congrats on that win!!

• 2 weeks later...

My patience & persistence paid off well, as I just won the 2013 Ohio State match over the weekend. I shot Saturday so I could squad with some good friends. The weather was AWESOME, sunny with highs in the low 70s. I had alot of fun, and want to thank the staff who worked hard to put this great match on. Big Thanks to all my sponsors, who helped make this win possible! :)

Oh yeah, and just for the record .... on Stage 9 ... I went for the mover! Took me an additional 1.5 ~ 2.5 sec. but I picked up an extra 16 pts. over my competition & the stage win! Was it worth it? We may never know, especially since I forgot to turn the camera on! :rolleyes:

Edited by Chris Keen