Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chris Keen's Range Diary

Chris Keen

Damn! Welcome to the M&P team! I LOVE my 9L. 'DEE VEE CEE' does one hell of a job with stipling. I like to use Pro Grip as well. It is like welding your hand to the gun! Now you need to send that thing to Dan Burwell for one of his trigger jobs!

It already has a CMV trigger job!!!

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No offense to either of you guys, but 1.It definitely needs some better trigger work (springs and possibly pre-travel / over-travel limits) and 2. I think Dan Burwell is a little bit over-rated. He's certainly not the only pistol smith who can work on M&Ps. Trust me when I say I've been doing my research. My pistol smith has already smoothed out the extractor and polished the chamber, which seems to have cleared up any possible FTE issues. I think I'll have him do a trigger job on it too. He's pretty fricken Awesome!!! :)

There is no reason to reduce the pretravel for a Production legal M&P. There is so little room available that it's not worth it. You can't defeat any safety (trigger safety), and you can't modify it externally (trigger safety). Therefore if you move the static position of the trigger back (reducing pretravel enough to matter), it's no longer production legal. This has been discussed at length via Glock Shooters trying to do the same thing.

You can reduce the reset length, increase the reset feel, and of course reduce the weight of it. If you don't have a large sear plunger and spring, get it done. RAM is unecessary for reset feel, can be done with the trigger bar.

The M&P I was using was down to 1.75# with a very short reset. I was lighter (and better feel) than my 2011 trigger, it just had longer pretravel. Very very easy to shoot. Kind of miss it....had to send it back to Bobby since it was his.

Damn! Welcome to the M&P team! I LOVE my 9L. 'DEE VEE CEE' does one hell of a job with stipling. I like to use Pro Grip as well. It is like welding your hand to the gun! Now you need to send that thing to Dan Burwell for one of his trigger jobs!

It already has a CMV trigger job!!!

Who?! :roflol:

No offense to either of you guys, but 1.It definitely needs some better trigger work (springs and possibly pre-travel / over-travel limits) and 2. I think Dan Burwell is a little bit over-rated. He's certainly not the only pistol smith who can work on M&Ps. Trust me when I say I've been doing my research. My pistol smith has already smoothed out the extractor and polished the chamber, which seems to have cleared up any possible FTE issues. I think I'll have him do a trigger job on it too. He's pretty fricken Awesome!!! :)

I can't wait to try it. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I learned a lot this past week ..... :)

I spent a lot of time hanging out with Steve Anderson & Kyle after my training each day in Columbus, and I've made the long-term decision to quit smoking. Steve told me I could be a GM smoker or a GM shooter, but NOT BOTH. :unsure: Nothing has ever rang so true in all the times & years I tried to quit smoking in the past, as this one comment has for me now. B)

The other thing that happened, (which I laughed at at the time) was that after telling Steve I don't feel any "immediate pay value" from quitting smoking, Kyle brought up the idea that if cigarettes were costing me around $5 a day, that I could put that $5 a day in a big clear jar so I could see it grow larger every day. At first I thought this sounded ludicris, because I'd rather have that $5 a day in my wallet, so I could use it. That seemed like "immediate pay-value" to me. But now I get it .... There are exactly 218 days left until the Open Nats and if I put $5 a day in this jar (along with the 5 days I've already got under my belt) I will easily have over $1100 in CASH to help pay for my trip.

I had wanted to pay off all my credit card bills over the Winter, so I sold my 2 LTD guns & all the LTD mags, but it seems I fell a little short. I still have about 3K to go (down from 10K), and nothing left to sell, so I'm going to have to buckle down, and try to pay this off a little at a time. I know it wont be easy, and maybe even a little counter-productive to stash some cash, when I have bills to pay, but I like seeing the money in the jar grow every day. That's my "Immediate Pay Value".

:cheers:

(more later)

Day 6 - Still Smoke Free!! B)

I had a pretty awesome time shooting tonight! I picked up my long lost, sweet little, Fire Me Up Open Blaster on Saturday, and with very little time to practice or dry fire, I did not even think about it, much less even oil the damn gun ... Hey it's chrome! Who needs oil? :rolleyes: So I shot her tonight for the first time in a LONG time, and it was just like picking up an old friend, or a guitar player who picks up an old Stratocaster ..... it just "felt right" B)

I had no problems with the gun, or my ammo which I just loaded Sat. too, or the mags ..... although I did try to execute an upper-level plan with very little stage prep on the 2nd string, and found myself searching for targets at the end. But all in all it was a freaking BLAST!!!

Now if I can do that good with no dry-fire, imagine how awesome I could be if I actually practiced a few times a week! Hmmm ..... maybe I'll try that! :roflol:

Thanks EK. I'm still doing ok. Still smoke free!

One day at a time, right? ;)

I know you aren't a big Lanny fan but 'It is like you to be a non-smoker'! Keep it up. You're doing great!

Shot a great local match today. Only had 4 stages, but it was good, cold fun! :) Had a great run on the classifier, and a smoking run on my 1st stage outdoors. 10 sec, for a 28 rd. field course! Then indoors I had a M / NS on 1 stage & then a M / NS the other. It was fast as hell but ugly in the end. I realize now I chose poor stage breakdowns on both stages. The first one wasn't really a stage breakdown issue as it was a bad target-engagement order in the last position, that threw me off and I yanked one down into the NS. That was me not running my stage plans more than 3 or 4 times mentally. Then on the last stage I shouldn't have engaged the middle section until I got to the left side port. I should have tried to work it all from there, instead of struggling with tight shots from the farther position. Closer is always better, esp. this case as I could see more of the middle left target that way.

Over all it was a lot of fun. The guys at Miamisburg put on a really good one today! :cheers:

Edited by Chris Keen

I had such a good time shooting with Micah yesterday. It was just like old times. :cheers: And I think Uncle Bill is going to come out to Monday Night practice tonight soooooooo ............ it's alot like that scene in The Blues Brothers where he says "Were getting the band back together!!!" :rolleyes::surprise::devil:

Oh yeah!!!!!!! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...