Chris Keen

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Greg I'm sorry I missed this, as I havent been keeping up with my range diary like I should be. :(

But that's a different story. :) I've seen a few stores in Dayton that carry Rudys, but they have limited selection. Have you tried looking at ROLL @ Easton? They carry Rudys. But try them out there, to see which ones you like, then ask me for a 30% discount code. I think you'll like them!

Edited by Chris Keen

12/8/2011

Actually logged 30 minutes of dry fire tonight! Yay! I've been terribly lax about working out or practicing for the majority of the 2011 season, so I'm changing that TODAY! B)

I'm gonna do at least 30 minutes of dry fire every night, along with gettng back in better shape for next year. I've been running allot & working out lately, so I'm really happy about that. And I'm really just feeling allot better all around lately. It's nice to feel like that again.

Since I made GM in Open & L-10 I've struggled allot with accuracy, dropping allot of points on every stage, and not hitting steel with 1 shot each. So I 'm thinking about doing more practice in the accuracy arena. I've been shooting my LTD gun alot better lately, so that's helped some

Last week when I shot LTD I thought I had very good visual patience, but only shot ok., I think I had a total of 6 D's in a 3 stage match, so that's gotta stop NOW!

I'm turning over a new leaf tonite.

Edited by Chris Keen

Greg I got my Rudy's at OSU. The school of optometry is a Rudy dealer. I think I might be the only guy ever to order a pair from them because I had to find the display and all the people working kept asking me about them. Be warned, they were not cheap. I used my insurance to pay for mine. Ordering from the website and using the discount code is a way better deal if you are going to pay out of pocket.

Dry Fire 12/9/2011 (30 min.)

Practiced mag changes and draws.

5 sets of draws from HAS (par time 1.0)

5 sets of draws from WAS (par time 1.0)

5 sets of draws from HAS 1A then reload 1A (par times 1.0 & 0.8)

5 sets of draws from WAS 1A then reload 1A (par times 1.0 & 0.8)

The par times I've set for myself are getting easier the more I practice. Ive thought about lowering them, but once in a while I miss a reload, so it's really a nice comfortable average par.

I've noticed when I concentrate on Jerry Barnharts notion of drawing the gun with the front sight higher, and letting the rear sight come up behind the front, allowing the front sight to settle into the rear notch I find my sight picture allot faster than just relying on muscle memory. I know that sounds silly, because it's a basic fundamental, but it's something I've never really tried with iron sights before, so I'm giving it my utmost attention now that I realize how important it is.

It's really starting to come together for me. :)

Edited by Chris Keen

Dry Fire 12/10/2011 (60 min.)

Practiced mag changes, draws, multiple target transitions, multiple gun presentations to target (near to far, far to near, drawing to a popper in front of a NS, etc.) and was really loving it!

10 sets of draws from HAS (par time 1.0)

10 sets of draws from WAS (par time 1.0)

10 sets of draws from HAS 1A then reload 1A (par times 1.0 & 0.8)

10 sets of draws from WAS 1A then reload 1A (par times 1.0 & 0.8)

10 Unloaded Table starts

10 Loaded gun on table starts

I'm going to start phasing some of Ben Stogers dry fire exercises into the next couple of dry fire sessions. I've experimented with it some, when I lived on base but I had a tiny little apt. so it didn't work out so well, but I have MASSIVE amounts of space in this new house I'm in so I might as well make use of it.

I wish I had more lighting in some of my dry fire ares (kitchen / Liv. rm.) cause I find that with minimal lighting such as my place has, makes me strain to see the front sight clearly. :( sux.

• 1 month later...

February 1st, and it's 50+ degrees outside!!!!!! B) It's been soooo nice and warm lately I just had to get out and do some shooting over the weekend. I finally tried out my new M&P 9L Saturday afternoon, and it was AWESOME! I wonder why I waited so long to give the M&P a fair try. I always thought Glock had the largest set of advantages in USPSA Production, but when you really get right down to it a Production gun (any gun) has to do 3 things .... Work EVERY-TIME, be accurate, and feel good in your hands. And that last one is where the Glocks always fell short for me. They just didn't feel comfortable in my hands. I tried a few other Prod. guns like the CZ, XD, etc. but for me at least, none of them felt as good as the M&P does. I don't know if it has something to do with the grip angle, and my being totally comfortable with a 2011 now or not, but because of the way DCarter stippled my M&P, it totally feels like the grips on my 2011 guns did, so I could not be happier with it!

I'm also really surprised I like the FO front sight. I've tried them in Prod. before, and never liked them. I always tried to use the Fiber as a "Red Dot" and shot it like an Open gun, but I think It's finally starting to grow on me, as I learn to utilize it properly. Something I should have worked on years ago, but now that I am a little older, and wiser, and more experienced I realize that it's not a magic Red-Dot, and I have to give it the respect every front sight deserves. The fiber is only there to help me FIND the front sight, NOT to be used as an accuracy tool, or a magic dot! ;) LOL

In March it will have been 5 years since the last time I shot a Classifier with a Production gun, so I am actually kinda looking forward to getting back out there, and doing that again! I had a great time back then, and I firmly believe all the things I've learned shooting Open & LTD since then will transfer over without hesitation.

My goal for this year is to make GM in Production before I make the big switch back to Open. Then I will only have 1 more Div. to work on getting my GM card in.

2012 is going to be a GREAT year!!!!!! :cheers:

Thanks. :)

I also inadvertently found out that the used (but new to me) M&P I just picked up has had quite the adventure! :rolleyes: I bought it from a friend, but recently found out that he had bought it from another friend of ours, so this gun is just making the rounds of Ohio shooters!!! LOL

Chris: You may want to buy some spare parts for the M&P since some are known to break at the worst possible time. Ask some of the other GM's who have used them to see what parts they are. I am sure you will be a GM in Production in no time and that leaves Revolver. Thanks, Eric

Get a current generation striker assembly, slide release, extractor and a trigger spring. I've heard locking blocks can let go (like Glocks) but it's not common.

If the extractor has not been tuned, it's a ticking time bomb. Eventually it will stop working 100%. Get a spare, tune both. If your pistol has a solid extractor pin, replace it with a roll pin. Current guns come with a roll pin now.

Thanks for the info on the spare parts Shaun, but I really like the solid pin better. I chamfered the smaller end to facilitate easier installation, and have been cleaning the extractor after every 100 rounds or so, just to see how quickly the gunk builds up. It's no harder than taking an extractor out of a 2011. :)

And by "tuning" the extractor I assume you mean the lip. Already taken care of that. After looking at it closely, I have no idea how they even work right out of the box! LOL But I really think the key to fixing the FTE's that most people have is that S&W coats the barrel & chamber with their black finish, similar to the Tenifer finish on Glocks. But they shouldn't do that to the INSIDE of the chamber, where even a little build up can cause you to lose .005-.010" real fast, so I had my gunsmith polish the chamber with a Craytex and now it's nice & smooth.

But, you don't have to believe me right now. Wait until I've shot 25 local matches & 5 majors with it and then we'll see if that's the real fix. ;)

With the extractor out, you'll see the raised pad the sits against the slide (inside the extractor cut). I take some material off that (not much). The hook of the extractor will sit a little more inboard and hold the case better. I did that, and reshaped the hook. Yeah, I can't believe they work out of the box either.

February 1st, and it's 50+ degrees outside!!!!!! B) It's been soooo nice and warm lately I just had to get out and do some shooting over the weekend. I finally tried out my new M&P 9L Saturday afternoon, and it was AWESOME! I wonder why I waited so long to give the M&P a fair try. I always thought Glock had the largest set of advantages in USPSA Production, but when you really get right down to it a Production gun (any gun) has to do 3 things .... Work EVERY-TIME, be accurate, and feel good in your hands. And that last one is where the Glocks always fell short for me. They just didn't feel comfortable in my hands. I tried a few other Prod. guns like the CZ, XD, etc. but for me at least, none of them felt as good as the M&P does. I don't know if it has something to do with the grip angle, and my being totally comfortable with a 2011 now or not, but because of the way DCarter stippled my M&P, it totally feels like the grips on my 2011 guns did, so I could not be happier with it!

I'm also really surprised I like the FO front sight. I've tried them in Prod. before, and never liked them. I always tried to use the Fiber as a "Red Dot" and shot it like an Open gun, but I think It's finally starting to grow on me, as I learn to utilize it properly. Something I should have worked on years ago, but now that I am a little older, and wiser, and more experienced I realize that it's not a magic Red-Dot, and I have to give it the respect every front sight deserves. The fiber is only there to help me FIND the front sight, NOT to be used as an accuracy tool, or a magic dot! ;) LOL

In March it will have been 5 years since the last time I shot a Classifier with a Production gun, so I am actually kinda looking forward to getting back out there, and doing that again! I had a great time back then, and I firmly believe all the things I've learned shooting Open & LTD since then will transfer over without hesitation.

My goal for this year is to make GM in Production before I make the big switch back to Open. Then I will only have 1 more Div. to work on getting my GM card in.

2012 is going to be a GREAT year!!!!!! :cheers:

Damn! Welcome to the M&P team! I LOVE my 9L. 'DEE VEE CEE' does one hell of a job with stipling. I like to use Pro Grip as well. It is like welding your hand to the gun! Now you need to send that thing to Dan Burwell for one of his trigger jobs!