Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What has been your worst car?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1968 Rambler Ambassador! Yellow with a black PAINTED top. A real babe magnet. Mixed in with the little crap that broke, I went through 2 steering pumps. Finally gave up and drove without the PS. Good arm exercise.

69 Pontiac GTO ..... the worst and the best rolled up into one package. I spent more hours working on the car than I did driving. When I finished it had a GTO Judge spoiler, four pin fiberglass hood, roll cage, tubbed rear end, heavy racing transmission and straight line shifter, all pushed by a 400 bored and sleeved mounting dual Holleys and a blower. No gas milage but she would out and out fly!

From the age of 17 to present I have only driven cars from the 1920s 30s and a few from the 50s.

Dont think I have ever had a bad car?

Well ...I did have a company car that was CRAP...83 chrysler K car <_<

My wife drives that newer stuff :blink:

Jim

69 Pontiac GTO ..... the worst and the best

+1

Some good friends of mine (who happened to be 2 brothers) both owned this sweet looking white 69 Chevelle convertable! :surprise: I remember some great summers driving around in that car, but they spent almost as much time working on the dammed thing. Still miss that car. :wub:

a 1994 buick century that kept throwing fuses so the AC didn't work the glove boxwould come open just enough to let the bulb run the battery down. .. put a lot of work into fixing that car lol and that was after driving a brand new G6 for a couple of years.... strangely enough i ended up getting a 1995 mercury grand marquis that was reallly nice! and instead of buying a new car i like it so well i'm still driving it!

My worst car was a Geo Metro. Being my second car and an avid golfer (and skirt chaser) I thought the collapsable back would be an asset. The only asset I got (satirical pun intended) was having the option of strapping it to my back and carrying it home in case it broke down.

:surprise: A Metro! My parents brought home a Pharaoh Bender (nee Smurf) blue Metro for me to test drive. I flatly refused to even open the car's door and sit in the thing, worst car I almost owned.

'74 AMC Gremlin. Bought it new and got a free LOSER tattoo for my forehead. American Motors. Yeah right. The thing was built in Canada. Tranny leaked out its oil and ate itself. Burned up the valves due to running 100LL avgas instead of mogas. Everybody else was doing it at the airport and my car was the only one to have problems. Would swap ends in a heartbeat any time a banana peel or a patch of ice was in the road. I got one of the good ones and had few electrical problems. Emissions hoses would pop off frequently. And the rust. It really wanted to revert to it's natural state. Sold it off to a neighbor who was in dire need of a ride. Drivers door fell of 6 weeks later due to rust. The car was completely done and off to the junkyard at 120K miles.

A close second is my '93 Dodge B250 van. I still have it. 120K miles on it and I'm on my third transmission overhaul. Steering gearbox goes out frequently. Can't keep it in alignment. Due to the alignment problems it eats front tires. The paint started peeling within a year. Several repaints under warranty hasn't fixed the problem and I've given up. Most of the interior plastic has warped into shapes that a modern artist would admire. A true POS vehicle and the reason that I'll never own a Dodge again.

I've got a car in the backyard for sale. Part of my Aunts' estate. '92 Chevy Cavalier. 50K miles. Garage kept since new. Owned by a little old lady who drove it to church and the grocery store. For real.

One of my co-workers (a senior mechanical engineer) owned a Cavalier and it was a true, genuine, authentic POS in every way. And ugly, too. One day at work when he wasn't looking, four of us got together and tied the doors shut with huge ropes looped over the roof, thru the cab and around the doorposts. When lunch break arrived, he didn't have time to un-tie the car and still go grab a sandwich. (We ended up having to buy him lunch.) The look on his face was priceless, though. We made him un-tie the car himself, too. We refused to have anything more to do with it. We were trying to tell him something about his car. We think he finally got the message. :rolleyes:

One of my co-workers (a senior mechanical engineer) owned a Cavalier and it was a true, genuine, authentic POS in every way. And ugly, too. One day at work when he wasn't looking, four of us got together and tied the doors shut with huge ropes looped over the roof, thru the cab and around the doorposts. When lunch break arrived, he didn't have time to un-tie the car and still go grab a sandwich. (We ended up having to buy him lunch.) The look on his face was priceless, though. We made him un-tie the car himself, too. We refused to have anything more to do with it. We were trying to tell him something about his car. We think he finally got the message. :rolleyes:

If he was a real engineer I bet he did not understand at all....

73 Super beetle with the manumatic 3 speed tranny.

I bought the car from my brother. The Iowa winters are not kind to cars, rust bubbles began everywhere. The engine block was cracked, the exhaust bad. I had NO HEAT.....AC didn't work either. Once, while driving on a off ramp, the left front strut tower collapsed due to rust, blew out my tire, and i ended up off the road.. I welded up the body installed 18 gauge steel just to get the thing road worthy to the body panels and welded in new strut towers.

I painted it Triumph Blue and sold it to an unsuspecting teenager, who just loved the color.

Edited by Bear23

Not the worst, but the most expensive was my play car...when you drive them like they are stolen, it gets expensive...

Which was??? Not the Vette, was it?

Oh yeah...got it beautifully restored...427/400 and M22 tranny....still a teenager at heart....showing off, put the number 2 slug thru the bottom....got it rebuilt with a 502 fuelie....couple of clutches, one rear end, u joints, countless tickets....the whole car was just like a boat....constant work and very little play and expensive along the way...finally after the 502 install...sold it to a guy who thought his 69 Camaro was fast...he was running a hotrod 454....but learned the hard way...a good big engine will beat a good smaller engine most every time......he was running a 100hp shot of gas and it still was not enough..LOL miss driving it, but have lots of pics and don't miss the constant tuneups or repairs...like I said, if you drive a 40 yr old car hard, it is expensive...stuff keeps breaking..

Wouldn't say it was my worst but when I was just a kid, I bought a '55 two door chevy from an old falling down garage. Paid $35 for it & that was just about all it was worth. It had no title but I managed to track down the guy that used to own it. After talking through a locked door with him a while got him to sign the title(he must have had warrants out for him or ?????). Then the repairs began. Ok, well, they began & that was about it. The entire front end was just sitting on the frame, no bolts. The left rear had been quarter paneled & had bondo over an inch deep. I threw a basket case 300hp 327 in it with a solid cam & a few goodies, tossed in some seats(literally, never did bolt them down) & took off! It was pretty fast but never did get it actually fixed--or even registered. You would jump on the throttle & you better hang on because those non-bolted down seats would dump you in the back if you weren't careful. hahahaha. The foolishness of youth. Finally got tired of throwing all my bucks into a hole in the air so I parked it out back, pulled the motor, traded it for a 350 that actually had bearings in it & finally had some guy buy the remains for $200. Guess it wasn't all bad. Had plenty of fun, learned a lot about cars.

My real worst car was an Opel Cadet. It would go as fast as you want, as long as that wasn't over 60mph, downhill! :surprise: That was a junker, for sure. Sold it to a friend, he drove it a few months, sold it & then I get a letter from Dallas saying they had picked my car up off the side of the road & if I wanted it, I better bring a big wad of cash & get to the wrecking yard in a couple of days. It wasn't worth the gas to drive there, much less pay for the salvaging. I remember it clearly, Rust red with a big streak down the side where something I was drinking went out the window & ate up the paint :wacko: Wow, back in the good old days. hahahaha.

MLM

A buddy is finishing up his "66" . Replaced the original 427- 425/450 hp with a 509 Merlin blocked Rat. I think he put in a 5 speed too. Had the frame powder coated, and obviously the body repainted. He's had it over 30 years, so far. Paid under $1500.00 when he bought it.

By the way.....he thinks the 509 might be overkill!

Edited by Dan Sierpina

A buddy is finishing up his "66" . Replaced the original 427- 425/450 hp with a 509 Merlin blocked Rat. I think he put in a 5 speed too. Had the frame powder coated, and obviously the body repainted. He's had it over 30 years, so far. Paid under $1500.00 when he bought it.

By the way.....he thinks the 509 might be overkill!

Yep, it might be overkill...my dyno'ed 502 hp at 5200 rpms..all I could do to keep in on the road when I really stood on it and nothing broke...LOL

Bought mine as a basket case when I was going thru my divorce..spent better part of 3 yrs getting it road worthy...body off resto, rebuilt 427, was originally a 327/350...

Edited by tightloop

Worst so far? It's close between the '78 Opel Kadet and the '97 Plymouth Breeze. The Opel's engine was so small that you could literally unbolt it and carry it around the shop. This was helpful when it broke down, which was frequently. A bucketload of electrical problems, carb problems, the list goes on nearly forever. I did buy it for $800, drove it for a year, and sold it $600. It was a learning experience to be sure.

The Breeze was just a flat out P.O.S. that I picked up dirt cheap while in-between buying a real car. Everything that could go wrong did.... I paid more in repairs the one year that I owned it than I paid for the whole frigging car. Glad to be rid of that nightmare, but the stains in the driveway remain.

My first wife bought not one, but two Pintos (advice from her father, the twit). To be honest the second one was almost OK as POS cars go, but the first one was rancid. Rear end locked up coming down the interstate one day, electronic control module dies 3-4 times, tranny problems and cooling issues.

It did have one interesting safety feature -- I knew if the brakes ever failed I could just turn on the A/C 'cause it would almost stop in it's tracks.

It did have one interesting safety feature -- I knew if the brakes ever failed I could just turn on the A/C 'cause it would almost stop in it's tracks.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Pinto Jake Brake!!!

What did it sound like, a small burro passing gas???

Edited by Middle Man

that would be my first car, a seven year old 1979 mercury zephyr four door sedan. mom thought it would be safer than a jeep. i had it for four years and when i sold it, all the doors had rust through the bottom and the paint came off at a quarter car wash. if you hit a bump the radio would go out, not to mention it wouldn't run in the rain no matter how much silicone spray i used. however, the old rust bucket got me through four years of high school. plus the back seat came in handy on those friday nights after the football games. :devil:

LOL...! Well, and Pinto brakes don't work well on ice, either (most brakes don't, I guess), and during a slick moment in Anchorage in spring (when things are melting like mad), the Pinto broke free and drifted with grace and ease (it seemed to take forever) right into a telephone pole. Yes, I was driving it at the time. All I could do was laugh hysterically as I heard the headlight smash into a coupla dozen pieces and hear the bumper fold up. Thank freakin' God I wasn't travelling too fast....... It really WAS funny, but cost me a new headlight assembly. What didn't help was that the car was so lightweight. Just seemed to float.

Like I said, cars took a beating in Anchorage. No one ever bothered repairing the dings 'n dents on their rides... no point in it. They just kept driving them. Brisk sales in duct tape up there. :lol: