Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlanta Arms and Ammo

swattdoc

Anyone Using the 38 super ammo made by AAA? I'm interested in Open but not spending my time reloading. I tried some 38 supercomp in a Brazos Open Gun but had lots of pierced primers. Is rloading a necessity to compete in Open?

Thanks,

Tom

I was thinking about doing the same, buying from AAA, instead of reloading. From what I have heard, reloading is pretty much mandatory. Unless anyone knows of another supplier of 38 super comp. Did you call AAA to complain? What did they have to say for themselves? Is it possible that the problem lies within the gun?

I ordered an open gun and it is due to be finished within the next month or so.

Edited by sideshowbob

I'm not using it in an open gun, but if it helps, I am running their .40 Long in my Limited Edge and have shot just over 7000 rounds of it without a single issue. Danny does ship free to Military and Law Enforcement is that sways you some! :)

I used the Atlanta Arms .38 Super, major loads at the A63G last year and to say that it was consistent and accurate is an understatement. Their load with Supercomp is identical. They load for some of the top shooters in the world including the Army Marksmanship Unit and Dave Sevigny.

That said, as for pierced primers, don't know what to tell you. In my own loads, I switch occasionally to pistol primers out of laziness and not a single problem.

Rich

Those are all off centered hits on the primer on each round. Not sure if that would have any effect or not. The primer cups don't look flattened like you sometimes see with over pressure ammo. What kind of firing pin are you using? Maybe too small or the wrong length pin?

I used the AAA .38 SC this summer and at the Nationals. Never a problem and made a 171 PF at Nationals. They are great to deal with and arrives in a few days. The supply the Army team so they must be doing something right.

Those are all off centered hits on the primer on each round. Not sure if that would have any effect or not. The primer cups don't look flattened like you sometimes see with over pressure ammo. What kind of firing pin are you using? Maybe too small or the wrong length pin?

Off-center is typical for SC running in a Super breechface, but I agree those don't like right. I've had primers look like little rivets and be flush with the pocket and not pierced one with an XL firing pin.

The 2 that are not pierced do look flattened to me. Here are a couple photos of my brass in the same starline 38SC and I am using the N350 that we are NOT supposed to load due to high pressures. I have seen lots of 9mm major primers flattened like that but not too many 38 super/SC. Not a solution but just something to compare to.

Randal

post-6763-1184506977.jpg

post-6763-1184506997.jpg

Edited by DrawandDuck

Talk to Danny and see what he has to say. I shoot AAA if I am not shooting my loads though I have never used 38 Super. Like the others have said the AMU uses his ammo as well as team Glock and many others.

• 2 weeks later...
I will re ask the question about pricing. Can anybody give me a ball park on 38super comp major load pricing??

I used to have a sprice sheet from earlier this year but can seem to find it. If you go to their website and email them a request with your zipcode they will send you a spread sheet with all of their pricing along with an estimate on shipping.

http://www.atlantaarmsandammo.com/

I will re ask the question about pricing. Can anybody give me a ball park on 38super comp major load pricing??

I have a March 15, 2007 price sheet.

Item # TN38S: 38 Super Comp, 125 gr JHP, $13.25/box of 50, loaded in new brass.

E-mail them (link on their website) or call them. They don't list prices on the website but will send the whole price list as an Excel file very promptly.

Changed the firing pin and shot the bottom row with ammo from Brazos, the upper two rows with AAA of two different primer lots.

What do You think. The people from Brazos and Atlanta have been great in helping me through this.

Tom

I have a March 15, 2007 price sheet.

Item # TN38S: 38 Super Comp, 125 gr JHP, $13.25/box of 50, loaded in new brass.

E-mail them (link on their website) or call them. They don't list prices on the website but will send the whole price list as an Excel file very promptly.

Thanks for the info from Atlanta Arms price sheet I was just trying to get a idea on the price and you guys came through again!!!

B