Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zen For A-holes

shred

<_< I never saw my Father ...miss... with a shot-gun, I saw him hit rabits on the run with a 22. I remember one of our last times out to hunt together.

I asked " how can you hit Every Time"? ..his reply was " Why would I want to Miss?"

20 years later that made since to me ;);)

Shooting a recurve bow instinctively is very much a freeing experience just as shooting a compound bow with pins feels mechanical. Very limiting.

The compound feels more secure, or safer in it's predictability. The recurve requires no predictability once you quit thinking.

It makes sense. Think about throwing a ball. You don't think "I need to move my arm like this and release it here with a certain trajectory". You just think "the ball needs to go here" and throw it. There is no real conscious thought involved in the act of throwing the ball.

What I got out of Shred's link and Brian's helps back it up: don't let your conscious mind muck up what you already know how to do in your subconscious. I drove this point home to myself this past weekend shooting eggs at our sales meeting.

There were two lines of eggs on golf tees at 40 odd yards set up to shoot with rimfire rifles. I decided to give them a try with a pistol. The first full 18 round magazine only yielded one broken egg. My conscious brain was barking instructions about sight alignment and trigger control (which is something my subconscious knows how to accomplish) A second magazine showed a bit of improvement with four eggs broken. I was more calm and made an effort to shut off my self instruction. Somewhat pleased with the better score, I walked away from the firing line. About ten minutes later, I walked back to the line and there were five lonely 9mm rounds left in the tray. Not wanting them to go to waste :) I loaded a single round in the magazine, practiced a textbook reload in front of my nose and squeezed off the single shot at the one in the line of eggs. Hit, eggshell appears over the front sight rather than the splash of dirt. Repeat procedure two more times for two positive hits. On the last two rounds, I lost my calm state of mind and had two misses. In the end, I proved to myself that I can reliably shoot minute of egg if I can keep my conscious brain from getting too involved in the process.

Imagine a forum the size/scope of this one dedicated to the conscious/subconscious mind.

You could read for 10 years and still have your head up your a$$...or you could read one post and be golden.

Knowing is here...trusting is where you want to be.

SA

Imagine a forum the size/scope of this one dedicated to the conscious/subconscious mind.

You could read for 10 years and still have your head up your a$$...or you could read one post and be golden.

Knowing is here...trusting is where you want to be.

SA

Consistently trusting is most difficult.

I suppose that's true in more than shooting...that's what my "gut" tells me. ;)

The author is right. I shot archery in high school for 2 yrs and was damn accurate without sights, stabilizers, releases etc. A few years later when getting a compound for hunting with aluminum arrows, sights, bow mounted quiver and a release I had to relearn how to shoot and it was totally different.