Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwell Poll For Single Stack Uspsa

eerw and Matt mentioned it in another thread..... SOooooo..... :)

Edited to add... My Poll did not make it..... I am not going to try again. <_<

Legal magwell size - no larger than

No magwell

S&A Magwell

Heinie Magwell

SVI magwell

Techwear magwell

Magwell by Carmoney

I am NOT asking what you have but what do you think should not be allowed because of size or spirit of the dead founder or whatever.......

Edited by Merlin Orr

eerw and Matt mentioned it in another thread..... SOooooo..... :)

Thoughts welcome.

My SST gun currently wears an S&A magwell, opened up a bit and blended with the frame. I used the same setup in L10 for *years*.

Although I recently picked up an SV magwell for my skinny L10 gun (nobody uses fat guns in L10, right???) I wouldn't want to use it for PSSD.

I am NOT asking what you have but what do you think should not be allowed because of size or spirit of the dead founder or whatever.......

NOW you tell us.

In that light, I personally don't like some of the latest magwells introduced as PSSD complaint (fit the box). In Lim10, yes. PSSD, no. Not saying someone *couldn't* carry them concealed on a daily basis (including summer), but I'd have to see it to believe it. And if it isn't something suitable for daily carry, it doesn't seem to sync with Gary's vision of the division.

YMMV, and probablt does.

I'm not really a SS kind of guy, but I shot my new Spartan (with S&A magwell) in a match Monday night for the first time, and after the first stage I was reloading pretty darn fast.

It's certainly better than no magwell, and it's still in keeping with the spirit of the division.

My vote would be on the S&A.

I'd think an SVI or Novak magwell on a 1911 would be a perfect fit for the catch-all Limited 10 Division, but hey.

For SS? Maybe, but only if you accept the IDPA ESP* box as the primary definition for this Division. The S&A magwell, which is how I voted, is at least flush with the grips.

* I realize the same box defines the limits of CDP/SSP, too, but unlike some, I don't feel the IDPA rules were written by John Locke, and am perfectly comfortable believing no one really anticipated these magwells on a 1911 Govt. frame.

If the division survives the provisional period (I hope so!) and the rules remain basically the same, I guess it won't matter. The magwell just has to fit the IDPA box :angry: and make weight.

Now, if the 1911 Society doesn't approve of the big wells (SV and TechW), as they did with the DOH, how would USPSA deal with using the SSC as the SSNats and overcome this type of discrepancy? Re-write our rules to make 'em happy? <_<

There will clearly be a paradigm shift towards "buckets" on all new purpose built guns if they don't do something to stop it. I don't like the look of them, or how most of them attach, but I am goin gto get a purpose built SS gun, if the rules stand as currently written, I'll have to look at one seriously.

Also, don't use the phrase "spirit of the game", just write objective rules. Something about width should do it. A width gauge would be great. And get away from the damned IDPA box. If anything IDPA has provided a great example of how NOT to write rules.

Spirit of the game, buwawahh!!! Remember when L10 was the solution to..... what problem again? Oh yeah, that was the "entry level single stack division" in spirit. How'd that work out again? :rolleyes: I wonder when they'll officially rename it "trophy hunter's small pond" or just dump that turkey.

Either that or let's get O10. Appeasement is the only way!!! Yeah, let's regulate ourselves before they do!!! <_<

Sorry. :unsure: *AHEM* S&A magwells, objective rules, let's get back to shooting.

where in the rules does it say that ssd is meant for, or is designed to be run by single stack carry guns?

I hear these arguments about how this magwell would be impossible to conceal, blah, blah...

We have a game, we have a division, we have rules for the division (a box) and now there are complaints about the "spirit" of the division.

Maybe we should be required to wear a cover garment too, huh?

OH; my vote is for whatever fits in the box is good to go.

There is ALREADY A RULE: Fit in the BOX. As a matter of fact it is the EXACT SAME DIMENSION as another action shooting sport.

I build (or have built) game guns that apply/adhear to the letter of the rules. That's it end of story. Change the rules I'll change the guns configuration, fairly simple.

For those that try to follow the "spirit" of whomever, go for it, I ain't the "spiritual" type, too subjective, give me the rule and I will follow it.

FWIW I use SVI magwells on all of my SS guns. an hour with a dremmel and file and you can modify any standard mainspring housing to work with them, no need to go with the alluminum SVI part.

Do I like the looks of them or not? Who cares? I need a rule to follow and I'll be all good. What worries me is the changing of our rules because of allegiances with other organizations that may decide that X or Y piece of gear goes against the spirit of whatever. We saw it already with a holster.

Tic, Tac... waiting until lots and lots of single stack shooters get the big wells. Then, before next year's single stack nationals, with the strike of a keyboard my mag-swallowing single stack blaster's magwell won't be kosher with the spirit of the division (or just that match).

I'll eventually get one but will also save my S&A (the one in harmony with the spirit that's against the DOH), just in case...

NOTE: Merlin and/or mods, if this post is against the spirit of the thread or forum, feel free to delete it.

where in the rules does it say that ssd is meant for, or is designed to be run by single stack carry guns?

I hear these arguments about how this magwell would be impossible to conceal, blah, blah...

We have a game, we have a division, we have rules for the division (a box) and now there are complaints about the "spirit" of the division.

Maybe we should be required to wear a cover garment too, huh?

OH; my vote is for whatever fits in the box is good to go.

Exactly.

When it comes time to talk about if the magwell makes the gun impossible to conceal we can start a new thread about...Games that must be played with a concealable handgun. We can get "someone qualified" to determine if the gun can in fact be concealed with whatever equipment installed on it.

HOWEVER. My "intent" is to see if most people here believe we should redo the USPSA box (borrowed from IDPA) and make it MORE restrictive than the IDPA box to prevent the gun from being user friendly or using any magwell wider than "whatever" and violating the blah blah blah etc. etc. etc. ;)

Seems like when I answered the question, as presented, "...what do you think should not be allowed...", me offering my opinion about what I think should not be allowed, maybe ruffled some feathers. I didn't mean to cause any hurt feelings.

For the record, I agree that if a magwell fits the box and is rules-compliant for the division, then it should be allowed.

Since there wasn't a fit in the box answer I picked techwear as I think thats the current biggest that will "fit in the box". If there are rules I'll follow but I don't like the spirit thing. GIve me hard rules to follow. I also think that if they are going to make the DOH illegal for SSD they will also make those big ol' magwells illegal as well for the same reasons. Magwells aren't going to make you faster reloading they are going to make your misses less bad!

I also don't like the idea of making rules so that other games players will be happy. If you want to play in both games make your equipment legal for both. Don't make us change our rules to suit the other game.

If USPSA history teaches us anything ..it is the equipment will expand to fill ANY void in the rules.

As long as there is a place for improvement people will find a way to build it.

Its just our nature to find a new part that will give us an edge over the old way.

Jim :)