Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do I need a backup Glock ?

cruncher_block

I used to use my carry G19 as backup when I shot a lot of IDPA. I like to have a complete back up gun rather than just parts but since I am kind of weird I usually have both. It comforts me to know that if there is a complete failure, I can still shoot and have fun. Since you have the G19 already, I would just go with that. It wouldn't hurt to have a few springs and pins for the G34 though.

Chronoing your ammo is a good idea too.

Edited by DeweyH

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to merge your thread in with another thread asking about backup Glock, in particular. And here is the link to a bunch of other threads with "backup" in the title: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...hlite=%2Bbackup

- Admin.

If I were to go the 'spare parts' route, what Glock parts would you recommend having on hand?--I should probably ask this in the Glock forum.

You could probably just do a search. ;) It's been covered a time or two.

If you are shooting a Glock, especially with factory ammo, it is most likely going to run and run. The Glocks that break are the ones where they have been "improved" upon a bit too much.

The Glock being so popular, you almost always have somebody willing and able to help fix...or lend...whatever you might need.

I think that going the spare parts route is far more cost effective that going the whole-hog back-up gun route. While I have a stock of spare parts, the reality is that I've never really had to use them due to any OEM parts failures (not to say that they can, or do happen-any part of anything made by man is subject to the universal concept of entropy).

While it's probably not a bad idea to have a spare trigger spring on hand (for crying out loud, the part costs all of $1.00 from Glock), the practical reality is that the trigger spring breakage issue (such that it was) has been pretty much eliminated by Glock's changing to the matte gray finished spring, and concurrently enlargening the spring retention holes in the trigger housing mechanism and the trigger bar. Duane's previous suggestion of a 10K preventive maintenance replacement interval is probably an excellent idea, for peace of mind if nothing else (see previous $1.00 replacement part cost comment...).

Similarly, as a matter of course I'd replace the recoil spring/recoil spring assembly every 3K rounds, and it's probably not such a bad idea to replace magazine springs either at the same time, or annually-particularly with .40 Glocks.

Best, Jon

The only change I would make to that recommendation would be make it 5,000 rounds instead of 10,000 rounds. That might strike some people as a bit of overkill, but for a serious shooter 5,000 rounds of live ammo translates into hundreds of thousands of dry fires. I used to replace my trigger springs every 5,000 rounds. People kept telling me that was ridiculous, I should go 10,000 rounds. My previous post was written during the brief time frame I bought into that. So I kept the same trigger spring in the gun past my 5,000 round limit. Around the 8,000 round mark, guess what? Ah, you guessed. The trigger spring broke. The first - and, I assure you, last - time that's every happened to me.

Admittedly I wasn't using the magic gray trigger springs - this was before they even existed. Maybe they've solved the problem. And when I've talked to just a whole lot of people who've put tens of thousands of rounds, and immense numbers of dry fires, on their gray trigger springs without a single problem, maybe I'll go for a 10k replacement interval instead of 5k again. Maybe. On the other hand, I know I'm safe at 5k. And like Jon said, it's a $1 part. Not like replacing it every 5k is exactly going to break the bank.

I have back ups for my 34, 35 and even 17. In major matches a back up is the way to go for sure. Like eveyone said small parts are easy to replace but what about a frame, barrel, slide or rear sights? It's easier to have a back up if you can afford it. To have ALL spare parts isn't worth it.. just get a gun.

Edited by lugnut

Also, speaking as someone who's had a barrel bushing out of a 1911 go flying off into the bushes around the safety area while I was disassembling the gun - I'm sure it's there still - I'd rather not, if came right down to, have to detail strip my Glock in the safety area at a match.

Just sock the broken gun in your gear bag, grab the spare out of the same bag, and drive on.

Also, speaking as someone who's had a barrel bushing out of a 1911 go flying off into the bushes around the safety area while I was disassembling the gun - I'm sure it's there still - I'd rather not, if came right down to, have to detail strip my Glock in the safety area at a match.

Just sock the broken gun in your gear bag, grab the spare out of the same bag, and drive on.

I usually have a two gallon zip-loc bag in my range bag --- so that I can disassemble in the bag, if I'm worried about parts flying somewhere....

I keep 2 guns set up the same. I've just acquired them over time.

My 1st is a 2nd Gen G-17 (which is now my back-up).

My main production gun is a 3rd Gen G-17..

Plus I've got spare parts that I've acquired over time I keep in my tackle box.

The distance between the parking area and some safety areas can get pretty large so If I assembled a travel kit of all the parts in the slide plus a completly assemblied trigger mechanism with pin set and pusher plus recoil spring have I covered most parts that break in a Glock?

It's a 24C with a C-More so a replacement is really not an option.

The distance between the parking area and some safety areas can get pretty large so If I assembled a travel kit of all the parts in the slide plus a completly assemblied trigger mechanism with pin set and pusher plus recoil spring have I covered most parts that break in a Glock?

I recommend getting a spare battery cover and screws for your cmore. At nationals this year, a shooter stripped the screw while trying to change the battery. They had to pry off the cover.

Seiichi

I'd say so....

Might want to include a spare slide stop as well....

Recoil spring rod, if you're not using the factory assemblies....

I have a small parts replacement kit that has just about everything in the gun. This goes to all matches.

At major matches, the kit is accompanied by another complete backup gun, to cover the extremely small possibilty of a barrel/slide/receiver/sight failure. I figure anything that would require me to rezero the gun post repairs, I'm better off just using an identical backup that's already zero'd on my match ammo (this is particularly true when using fixed sights, as I do).

Glocks are cheap. Even including aftermarket sights, trigger group and the like, we're talking well under a thousand dollars for duplicating everything, and if you're talking about a stock pistol that will take on cannibalized parts, only $600 or so for a 34/35.

It's at least a grand easy for each major match out of town, what with airfare, food, hotel and match fee. Buying and setting up the backup gun is a relatively small one time expense for long term peace of mind on equipment performance.

Edited by kevin c

Replacing the 24C/C-more might not be an option, but there are very few blasters that aren't legal in Open --- so while the parts kit is a useful first line of defense against problems, I'd bring another Open compliant blaster and rig to any big match, just in case of an problem that can't be fixed on location....

Shouldn't the question be...

Do I need more Glocks?

Yes, absolutely, we need more Glocks.

Jim

Talked me into it. I think an OD green 17 would make a fine backup to my 34. OMB Guns agreed. It ships Monday. A 3.5 connector, extended slide stop and warren tacticals ought to make a fine GSSF gun as well..........

I'm a southpaw. I almost gave you a hard time about your article not addressing it. As a lefty, I never accidentally hit the extended slide stop like you normal people do because my thumbs are on the other side. When I do a slidelock reload, my trigger finger moves up to the back of the slidestop. When I seat the magazine, the trigger finger applies enough pressure to close the slide very shortly after.

Once I saw a locking block break on a Glock during a match.

That would end your day right there since nobody thinks to keep a spare.

I'd say take two complete guns if the match matters to you.

BB

Actually the truck parts kit has a large & small frame locking block. I'm trying to work up a soap dish size spare parts kit.

Nik, I'm trying to get away from the Open G21 because it has scratched the Optima so bad it is hard to see through. Unfortunately Burris does not make a large frame mount and the hole pattern is different than the Optima.