Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jet Travel

Jman

I'll admit it. I'm scared to fly jets. We have our annual conference tomorrow. It's a nothing flight, well under a hour to Orange Ca. from Phoenix. It's just that I HATE jets. Give me props any day. Feels like aviation with props. Feels like ballistics in a jet.

Hate 'em.

:unsure: ...mommy

Jim

I'm flying this weekend too. Going to Florida to see my folks. :)

Now I don't mind 1 plane flight, but you know it takes 2 flights to get to FLA and 2 flights to get back, so thats 4 hops total.

I often wonder what kind of mechanical problems EACH OF THE 4 JETS I will be on have had / will have, etc. etc. All it takes is for 1 of those planes, or the pilots flying them to have some form of "human error" and I'm a gone-er.

Who wants my guns ??? :huh:

Knuckles,

I do !!!!! The autos too. ;)

As a liscened aircraft mechanic I can tell you that there are way more dangerous(mechanical problems) cars and trucks, busses and big trucks in one state than in general aviation (aircraft have MANDANTORY inspections or they are grounded).

I feel safer in the air than on the road........just to bad we have the baggage troubles to deal with. <_<

Hopalong

What happens if the prop breaks off and flies through the cabin? Turbofan engines at least can usually contain the fins when they break.

I work for a helicopter parts company and the amount of documentation is ridiculous. Any part that we manufacture must have certifications back to the original company that made it, who also has certifications on what was used to make the product. Even a zip tie has certs identifying the lot is was made under and the batch of raw material. Airplane parts also go through far more inspections along the way than car parts.

I was a very frequent flyer on UNCLES not so comfy air lines :D

At least civies get real seats :lol:

Jim

:lol: True, but civies can't crawl up on the pallets and sleep! :ph34r:

AHH yes sleeping atop pallets of live explosives and hummers for seat mates

The good old days :wub:

Jim

Oh and I almost forgot ....the bathroom an experiance to remember

Edited by GentlemanJim

Jim

:lol: True, but civies can't crawl up on the pallets and sleep! :ph34r:

AHH yes sleeping atop pallets of live explosives and hummers for seat mates

The good old days :wub:

Jim

Oh and I almost forgot ....the bathroom an experiance to remember

Or random Army guy's shoulder for a pillow!!! :ph34r:

Did I mention that when they lose power they glide like a set of car keys?

Thanks for sharing that thought!! :angry:

Sorry. Just trying to cast off the bad ju-ju here, instead of at 36,000 ft. Fact is, I don't like to fly either, and I work in a related industry.

It helps me to remember that the first 7, and the last 4 minutes are when the majority of mishaps occur. I'm damn near holding my breath for the first 420 seconds of any flight. ;)

At least when I flew with Uncle I didnt have to worry about my deoderant being a bomb and I always felt very secure as I was normally armed to the teath.

Flying commercial is like being a cow, they heard you on throw some food thrown at you and heard off.

I like landings... As soon as I can make out cars and people I know that even if it crashes I at least have a chance. At 40,000 feet there is no chance of recovery but an awful long time to consider how bad it's going to hurt when you eventually meet up with land.

I'm not afraid of flying, it's the crashing that worries me...

I'll admit it. I'm scared to fly jets. We have our annual conference tomorrow. It's a nothing flight, well under a hour to Orange Ca. from Phoenix. It's just that I HATE jets. Give me props any day. Feels like aviation with props. Feels like ballistics in a jet.

Hate 'em.

:unsure: ...mommy

Jim

Maybe this will make you feel better...lol. I've got a pilot's license and dad is a retired airline pilot so I've heard tons of stories over the years. He was fixed wing Army aviation before the airlines. When people ask him about engine failures he points out how many more piston engine failures he's had than jet engine failures (only one where it actually blew up and a couple they shut down as a precaution). If it makes you feel any better, at typical cruising altitude a typical airliner can glide for well over 100 miles :D

Jim

Oh, you would think so - wouldn't you?

Just flew to St. Lois and back. To start with my 10:55 am flight for which I arrived at the airport at 9:00 am was cancelled. No explanation of any kind and a kindly sugestion to call the 800 number to find out the details or express my concerns. I get rebooked on the 2:10 PM flight - which I initially chose not to go on because I had a 4:30 appointment and did not want to cut it that close. The 2:10 flight ended up leaving at 2:35. The delay was for no other reason than another plane sitting at the departure gate. By the way there were three other gates - one to the left and two to the right of the designated gate that were completely unused the entire time.

Now onto the flight itself - I flew on a little torture device known as Embrauer something or other. Inagine a little private jet, but stripped of all the luxuries and ammenities. Then jam in a bunch of rows of seats so tight that the button for reclining the seat is a useless feature - the back of your seat is already firmly against the knees of the guy seating behind you. The flight attendant claimed that the seat cushion could be used as a flotation device. Fortunately I did not need to find out how well the seat cushin would work as a flotation device - because as a seat cushion is sucked donkey a$$. Perhaps I was wrong in understanding the term. Perhaps a layer of cracked vinyl between the steel of the seat and your posterior does in fact constitute a "cushion". I had to look up the word "cushion" on dictionary.com just to make sure that there wasn't some sort of linguistic confusion here. As it turns out - my understanding of the word appears to be correct.

However it seems that in the list of 18 possible meanings for the word "cushion" #16 is the only one that the airlines seem to be familiar with. - to suppress (complaints, lamentations, etc.) by quietly ignoring.

Jim

Well, midget civilians do ---- full sized competition models like me usually spend quite a bit of the transatlantic flight time standing in the rear of the plane, because it's more comfortable than the seat that rotates and bends my spine......

What's so hard with designing armrests that actually fold up to be flush with the backrest? We're not all models.....

My favorite aviation mishap story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

... While they attempted to restart the engine and communicate with controllers in Winnipeg for an emergency landing, the warning system sounded again, this time with a long "bong" that no one present could recall ever hearing before. The sound was the "all engines out" sound, an event that was never simulated during training ...
... The pilots immediately opened the emergency guide looking for the section on flying the aircraft with both engines out, only to find that no such section existed. ...
... At this point Quintal selected his former RCAF base at Gimli as the landing spot. Unbeknownst to Quintal, since his time in the service, RCAF Station Gimli had become a public airport, and had decommissioned one of its parallel runways, which was now being used for road racing. Furthermore, on this particular day the area was covered with cars and campers for "Family Day", and a race was being run on the former runway ...