Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many:dillon Sdb Vs 550 Vs 650 Vs 1050?

Anyone thats followed some of my other threads knows that I'm planning the big purchase(s) to get into reloading. I'm interested in a show of hands for who own's which dillon. I've to this point been sold on a 650, but the price point is making me reconsider. I expect to shoot, at most, 2000rd a month, more likely to be 800, and I'm more than likely going to eventually have conversions for 9mm, .40, .45, .223, .308, and possibly 30-06 and .380.

As always, I appreciate your help in this process.

Chris

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was the first to vote. :D

I have a 650, but I am gonna upgrade to a 1050 next winter!!!

As I am sure you already know, the 650 is more conducive to caliber conversions, the 1050 is for lots of the same caliber.

Your choice depends on your usage.

I guess that make me 2nd to vote.

I've had my 550 since around 1985. Loaded lots of 9x19, 9x21, 38 special, .357 mag and 45 ACP.

Currently I shoot about 1000 - 1250 rds of 9x21 per month. If I decide to switch to one of the other calibers, I'm looking at 10 - 15 minutes conversion.

After 20+ years I have not outgrown my 550. A 650 or 1050 might be nice, but I don't need it. Instead, I'll use the extra dollars it would cost me to upgrade for a few more 125 gr Zero JHP.

Old school maybe, satisfied definitely.

Bill

p.s. Just checked the poll, for some reason it did not include my vote for a 550 but says sorry, you already voted.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

If you are not loading a high volume of any one load and intend to load many diffrent calibers you should go with the 550. It is much eaiser to change over than the 650. I have a 650 set up in .40 for Limited that I shoot the most. I also have two 550s that I use in 45 ACP and 38 super for revolver.

I am also considering a 1050.

Edited by Jaxshooter

IMHO. As far as a comparison regarding the ease and quickness of caliber changes. There is No comparison. 550b. If you are going to reload several different calibers per week you will go crazy with anything but the 550. :)

Close the poll, the KING of equipment has spoken!!!!

Edited by zhunter

No way would I get a 550.

It's a total non-issue to change calibers on a 650 unless you get a wrench and hammer confused. Of course this is coming from someone who can't understand why anyone would get separate priming systems when the change in primer size is so easy.

Nothing against a 550, but a press that doesn't auto-index is not a progressive press IMHO. The fact that every squib and kaboom I've ever seen was loaded on a 550 has never given me a warm and fuzzy feeling either. Of course it's really operator error, but why take chances. I've yet to figure out how to double charge on my 650, and a squib is just as unlikely unless the powder measure was to run empty.

I voted for the 650, but I also have a SDB for oddball calibers I don't shoot much. Since it won't do rifle calibers you don't have much use for a SDB.

If you were looking for a dedicated pistol caliber and money was no object I'd say go with the 1050.

But since you want the ability to change calibers I'd go with the 650 - as switching between calibers with similar size primers is not too bad.

For the rifle cailbers w/ large primers and the 45acp - I'd wait and buy a 550 when the budget allows -

Having dedicated machines for each primer size is nice...having dedicated machines for each caliber is a dream.

goodluck.

PMD

I have a couple 550's and wouldn't want to be without a 550, but I would REALLY like to have a 650 or a 1050 for production. Flat out maximum sustained production for me on a 550 is a little over 500 rounds per hour, and I spend more time reloading than I would like to. A 650 with a case feeder and a bullet feeder would put the time it takes me to reload in line with the time I want to spend doing it.

I liked the simplicity of the SDB but expensive conversions and lack rifle caliber's.

I switched to a 550 and wish I would have started there.

You can get cheap dies and used caliber conversion about 30 less than 650's.

Also plentiful ebay hear and ar15 used unlike 650 conversions

I have a 550, 650 & 1050. I loaded on a 550 for over 10 years and never had a squib or double charge. There is nothing inherent in the 550 machine (beyond the operator) that makes errors happen. In contrast, let a rock or smaller caliber shell find it's way into a casing that you are about to resize, jam the machine, and see how much fun it is to correct the 6 partially completed cases on an auto indexing machine. On a 550, this is a piece of cake. Each machine has it's benefits and pitfalls, just pick the machine that is best for how YOU intend to use it.

Good luck and choose wisely

For pistol only, why or how is the 550 faster than the SDB. Dillon lists it with a higher rate and that was before the case feeder came out. I own a 550 it seems to me the motion for the 550 and SDB are the same with the exception the SDB auto indexes am I missing something ?

My 2 cents......I like the versatility of the 550. I shoot about as much as you plan to and for the money you can't beet the 550. If you plan to shoot a lot more then spend the extra money and get the 650. If not stick with the 550.

An SDB - for IPSC 38 Special loads..

A 550 (Large primer) for 44-40 and 38-55

A 550 (Small Primer) for everything else... Cowboy 38 Special/9mm/32-20.....

Like both kinds VERRA much! :D

Yes, a modicum of attention to detail IS required... which I hope everone applies no matter WHAT they load on....

i now have 6 sdb and like them very much for the pistoles i shoot'

the is also 2 550s in the stable that load rifle and my 50ae

lastly i have a deadicated 650 for 9mm

the reason for all if this is no conversions except on the 550's this saves alot of setup time

jb

Nothing against a 550, but a press that doesn't auto-index is not a progressive press IMHO. The fact that every squib and kaboom I've ever seen was loaded on a 550 has never given me a warm and fuzzy feeling either. Of course it's really operator error, but why take chances.

ABSOLUTELY!!! Auto-indexing should be viewed as a mandatory safety feature.

For pistol only, why or how is the 550 faster than the SDB. Dillon lists it with a higher rate and that was before the case feeder came out.

No, that's BS marketing by Dillon. Every round I load on a SDB is made with one less motion than is required on a 550. Easy math.

I have a 550, 650 & 1050. I loaded on a 550 for over 10 years and never had a squib or double charge. There is nothing inherent in the 550 machine (beyond the operator) that makes errors happen.

I agree completely, a squib isn't the machine's fault. I'll still take the 650 any day for twice the cost (even though the 650 isn't twice the cost of a 550). The powder check is a key feature along with auto-indexing.

In contrast, let a rock or smaller caliber shell find it's way into a casing that you are about to resize, jam the machine, and see how much fun it is to correct the 6 partially completed cases on an auto indexing machine. On a 550, this is a piece of cake.

That scenario is simple to fix on the 650 (or even a 1050). Remove all of the cases from the shellplate, empty any powder from a case without a bullet seated, and set them aside until the very end of your reloading session. After you've finished your reloading session, run the half-loaded cases through the correct station of the press.

You only lose time on the 650 when you try to fix problems in-place. Clear the shellplate and you're back in business in 2 minutes. Fix the problem rounds at the end of the session when you don't have a stream of cases and primers confusing the steps.

The 650 all the way, caliber conversions take 10 minutes if you have the spare toolheads.

For pistol only, why or how is the 550 faster than the SDB. Dillon lists it with a higher rate and that was before the case feeder came out. I own a 550 it seems to me the motion for the 550 and SDB are the same with the exception the SDB auto indexes am I missing something ?

Simple size and leverage :rolleyes:

Takes five minute to fish those little pegs out vs 3 seconds to get the big pegs out of the 550 :huh: .

After owning both I can't say there a huge rate differnce but there is not really any wasted motion .

As I stroke the handle the left hand fish's a bullet handle comes up.

thumb rotates than sets bullet as the right grabs a case.