Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super Bowl Commercials

Singlestack

I found most to be kinda blah, but I found the depressed robot to be quite disturbing, not to mention I'm not sure that Chevy wants us to think that they can't build a car without missing bolts even with robots.

I found most to be kinda blah, but I found the depressed robot to be quite disturbing, not to mention I'm not sure that Chevy wants us to think that they can't build a car without missing bolts even with robots.

+1. I told my wife they need to pull that one.

I liked the one where all of the employees jumped off the cliff rather than go to a training seminar. :lol:

I think the subtle lemming aspect may have been lost on some...

ALL of the CareerBuilder ads were inspired genius (or maybe one just needs to be a corporate weenie to get a chuckle out of them)...

(2nd place definitely the lions arguing over the proper pronunciation of "carne asada")

(3rd place had to be the crabs stealing - and worshipping - the cooler...)

Slight thread drift.....

So just WHO WAS that guitar picker at half-time? He was really good!

It looked alot like a guy who used to go by the handle of "Prince". But then he morphed into "formerly known as Prince". But, now he's no longer known as "formerly known as Prince". So then, does that make him "formerly known as, formerly known as Prince"? Or, is he more like the second coming of Prince? And just what the heck does that wierd symbol that they set on fire mean? Is that his signature or something? With handwriting like that, he coulda been a doctor. But, he's probably a much better guitar picker. Heck, if I could play guitar like that I would just call myself something like "Bob" and name my guitar something like Prince, or Lucille, (but that's already taken) or maybe I'd call it Prince, the guitar formerly known as Lucille. Anyway, if you didn't have to look at him in a blue leisure suit (man, are those coming back?) and an Aunt Jemima head scarf, he was pretty enjoyable.

......and an Aunt Jemima head scarf......

:lol::lol::P:lol:

Hell, I was starting to think I was the only one who noticed. One of my brothers called to see if I liked the show. I said how much I enjoyed the guitar playing and thought it was one of the best half time shows in a long time.

But for some strange reason it left me with an overwhelming craving for pancakes....

Have to agree that it wasn't a stellar year for commercials. Nothing that really jumped out at ya and made you say "wow"... My twenty something friend and I were discussing each one during the game. She said the Doritto's one was her favorite. I told her none of them stood out from the others. Nothing like a few years ago when Ford did the 'field of dreams' Mustang ad with Steve McQueen! That one had everyone talking... She said she never really got that one. Too young to get how cool it was to see McQueen walking out of the corn field! Guess it all depends on what audience group they are aiming for...

BTW,,, The half time show with Prince was great! Prince is very well know as an extraordinarily talented guitarist. He has a tendancy to do small venue shows with little advertisement. Seeing one of those is definetly on my short list!!!

I had almost forgotten what a great guitarist Prince is, along with a tendency to be a flamboyant showman--and yet occasionally an understated one. The wet venue, I'm sure, did NOT promote any risky footwork or daring dance moves. God, it was a flood. Still, he and the band and the lightshow were amazing given the weather. A spectacle, for sure.

I still recall with appreciation the show U2 did the year THEY half-time'd the SuperBowl.

(I had missed the 'worshipping crabs' spot during the game, but saw it in a news recap yesterday. Not bad.) ;)

All in all pretty lame in relation to other years. This year didn't hold a candle to the ones during the dot-com boom. But there were a few standouts.

Budweiser: Rock, Paper, Scissors

Blockbuster: Total Access

GM: Robot

Career Builder: Office Jungle

Here's a link to most of the ads. http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/postseason/superads. Oh, and hit the 'Boss Button' in the lower L/H corner of the video screen.

Skipped Prince (or whatever he's called this week) but at least it was a better choice than the boy band of a couple years ago. The pre-game show by Cirque du Soleil was a jaw dropper.