Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

May Be Moving, Tell Me About Denver?

I just got word that I may have an opportunity to move to Denver. How's the area for USPSA and 3-gun?

What about buying a home? What area's are good? I'd be looking for some area's where I might be able to get a little land with the home. How expensive is the land? ( I know it depends on where you go, but I was looking for some general prices) I'd also be working in downtown Denver. What's the traffic situation like?

Thanks,

Erik

Check out this web-site for lists of the shooting clubs around the Denver area. There are a bunch within 100 miles. There's a match every weekend, WHEN IT'S NOT SO FREAKIN' COLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eastern Colorado Section

Traffic around Denver can be bad, once you're in Denver they have light rail which is useful for zipping around the place. I-25 cuts North to South and I-70, East to West. As you approach Denver traffic gets busy but usually keeps moving.

There's plenty of open space in Colorado, and you should be able to find parcels of land 20-30 miles from the city, closer to the mountains seems to be more expensive, heading out East the prices drop a little but you do get into tornado country if you got too far.

Google this for some ideas of land availability

Shooting is good..

like the brit the said..shooting on every weekend..USPSA, 2 times a month for IDPA couple of pretty good three gun matches a month and a rifle/MOR match once a month.

some good regional matches with CO state, Mile Hi, WYO state and American Handgunner match.

I am down in Colo Springs and housing and land is available..lots of developement between the two places too. Light rail is nice that they finally got it opened up.

now we could just use some warmer weather..

A little cold today, minus 14, but the sun is shining at the mountains are beautiful.

Denver has it all, west for mountain living, east for cheap land, south for great views, north for ..., well, ...the smell of feed lots.

Great shooting, even better competitors. Come try out the Mile High Showdown June 16,17.

I don't mind the traffic. Remember, I live in Atlanta now and I worked in DC for 9 years. Denver traffic doesn't scare me.

I was just checking out some places to live. How is Aurora? It seems like the South and East sides seems pretty good.

What about ranges? I'm trying to get into some long range/ bolt gun stuff. What are my choices for clubs with 600+ shooting ranges?

Erik

Edited by Bear1142

What about ranges? I'm trying to get into some long range/ bolt gun stuff. What are my choices for clubs with 600+ shooting ranges?

Erik

The Brits link to ECO has info on the different ranges. For 600 yd, Ben Lomand is a good option. A new 600 yard range is being built next month (if the snow melts). I have the range to myself on most weekdays. A bit of a drive, but well worth it.

Kids? Schools? Price range? Commute? Size of community? Those answers will tell you where to start looking.

I picked Parker for those reasons 10 years ago. Not much of a small town anymore.

Erik,

Check out Camp Guernsey/Joint Training Center, Wyoming. Its about 100 miles north of Cheyenne. Its a Wyo Army Guard base made for training but open to other entities, including the Rocky Mountain 3-gun which shoots there. You've gotta see it to believe it. So far they have about 50,000 acres of range/land to include artillary and rocket...if you were to incorporate it into a match. Even have their own airstrip to fly into on a C141. So yeah, they have long range to say the least.

I'd like to see the Multi-gun Nationals there. They even have a convoy range and a stockyard of cool military props that are available for matches.

Of course, it was 14 below last night.

Man, we would love to have you out at HPPS. Everyone on the front range goes to the majority of the matches at the various clubs. They are all so easy to drive to, only a couple of hours for the longest drive. There are 6 clubs all within less than 2 hours of Denver: Weld, Clear Creek, Aurora Gun Club (two matches a month there), Ben Lomand (High Plains Practical Shooters), and Pueblo Sportsman (Pikes Peak Practical Shooters). There are other ranges without USPSA matches too.

You have no worries. Lots of shooters, really good people, and so far a gun friendly state.

If you're from PA, then the odds are good you've fly fished and hunted. Wait till you get a load of what they have in those categories out here.

Last year we got to shoot through the winter (we just sucked it up on the cold days), but this year has been different, too cold and too much snow. Got a feeling it will start letting up here in a couple of weeks and we'll be back in business.

If you want to see BLGC's layout, go to http://www.blgc.org/ and check out the facilities link. There is a description and diagram of the range on a sub-link (future layout).

If you come here, you won't want to leave. Nobody ever does. ;)

For 3-gun there is a couple options.

Colorado Multi-gun and the Pueblo IPSC club.

CMG holds matches in Guernsey, Clear Creek and Weld County/Greeley. Usually one match a month. Time plus scoring. Alan Samuel of full-auto fame is the CMG President.

The 3-gun club in Pueblo just shoots rifle now days. From in your face to 425 yards. Most shots from 200-300 yards on flash targets and LaRues. Comstock scoring. It alternates between semi-auto matches to MOR matches. The Legend Eddie Rhodes is the club pres now that I have semi-retired from running matches.

CMG also has long range rifle matches in Raton.

The Boulder club is also running rifle matches.

There is a 1,000 yard range one hour south of Colorado Springs in Canyon City and another being built right now just south of Colorado Springs.

And there is always Raton/NRA Whittington.

I am not sure what Rocky Mountain 3-gun does these days.

For IPSC there is some real good shooters out here. Lots of Masters and a few Grand Masters.

Thanks for all your replies, except for you Flex. I was a victim of circumstance, I tell ya.

After doing some market research, it looks like Aurora may be my starting point. I may also just buy some land and build a house.

Any home builders you'd recommend or ones I should stay away from?

TIA,

Erik

Erik, I have a buddy I'm working with now that lives in Denver area. He said if your looking at Aurora stay in the SE area or the North side of Parker. Parker has some good schools and is a fairly new area. For land you might want to look around Elizabeth.