Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If You Could Only Shoot One Match!

In 2008 Team M-Train is planning to come to the U.S to shoot.

As time and logistics are issues for us, selecting the right Match to shoot is important.

Primarily we'd like to shoot your Nationals, failing that an Area Championship.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Or...if you had a choice and could shoot any Match at all in the U.S...which one would you shoot and why?? :unsure:

Thanks!

Mick B

"...NOTHIN' ELSE MATTERS!"

www.team-mtrain.net.au

The Double Tap Championship - 12 creative stages, (stages are posted on the web site from the last 2 years - www.doubletapranch.com) 300+ round count in two days and a Hugh prize table with lots of guns, STI frames and Slides. Good time of the year, Nice weather in the 60-70 area. Most the Top Competitors are there (10 grandmasters in limited last year) 244 signed up last year or the Natioanls Just my 2 cents :D

Edited by scorch

Area 8 has become an excellent match to shoot, the AWARE in Vermont is also a really good match and Summer Blast comes to mind as a match not to be missed. The Tri-State in East Huntington, PA was always a great time, but I am not sure if they are going to hold it again this year.

Oh and of course any regular monthly match at Old Bridge, NJ

Jim Norman

Edited by Jim Norman

Nationals is the premier event in the US each year.

Beyond that, the Fla Open is a big match, lots of good competition with at least 10 interesting stages and very nice facility.

Stay a couple of extra days and make the match part of a great vacation.

If I could only choose one, its Nationals.

If I couldn't get a slot for Nats my next choice would be the Florida Open.

Other favorites:

Area 6 (Big match with lots of competitors and high round count, always draws top talent)

Tennessee State

Georgia State

Mississippi Classic

Tls

Edited by tlshores

The Nationals in Tulsa's new range would be a great choice.

The Targeting Education match (Michigan) next year will be an 18 stage IPSC match shot on Thursday and Friday, followed by a 9 stage USPSA match shot on Saturday or Sunday...I believe. The staff list at this event reads like who's-who list of match production talent.

I think Rio Saldo (Arizona) is also running one of the big three IPSC matches in the USA next year. Lots of chances to squeeze in extra shooting in Arizona...including the Tuesday Night Steel.

June and July are usually pretty heavy with Major matches. It's not uncommon to have a couple of Area matches (or other Majors) on the same weekend. If shooters are gung-ho enough, they can usually get with the Match Director(s) and work out a plan to shoot(day)-travel(day)-shoot(day).

Steel Challenge

Flights to LA are plentyful. Easy transfer. Plenty of other things to do.

As for the match itself :

- you can shoot 2 times ( open , ltd )

- lots of side matches with guns & ammo provided

- great prize table in order of finish + catagory awards

- great competition - It is not called the World Speed Shooting Champioships on accident

Having shot a few matches in my short time shooting (51/2 years) I'll give you what I've experienced.

ONE match only ............USPSA Nationals (International shooters just get on the waiting list like USPSA shooters who did not win a slot prior to the opening of the wait list...per KIM) ;)

Area match............A-6...(A-2 is also premier but too darn hard to get into)

State match...........toss up between Tennessee( 2 weeks after 2007 USPSA Nationals this year 10 stages), and Missouri Fall Classic (USPSA match on Saturday, Man on Man steel on Sunday)

Other match..........Florida Open.

Now remember, I shoot mostly in the South East anyway but have gotten out of town once or twice. ;)

Hopalong

Steel Challenge

Flights to LA are plentyful. Easy transfer. Plenty of other things to do.

As for the match itself :

- you can shoot 2 times ( open , ltd )

- lots of side matches with guns & ammo provided

- great prize table in order of finish + catagory awards

- great competition - It is not called the World Speed Shooting Champioships on accident

:D + 1

Jamie

Realize that California and Hawaii have restrictive gun laws. You are limmited in both states to 10-rounds. So depending on what equipment you have, you may not be able to legally posses it in eihter state.

You can travel through on your way to another state, that is protected.

So, the may limit your choices a bit. Although if you cointact he sectino co-ordinator in either state, you can likely borrow the required mags from a local. Just have the rest of your gear forwarded to the next stop on your itinerary

Jim

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

We can only use 10 rd mags here in Oz, so as far as any restrictive laws it shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure of timings, we'd make the effort for the right match. Nath wants to go see New York while we're there, I'm keen az to try an do the Nationals, the Florida Open sounds good, as in the International flavor...I'm surfn' the net looking at vids of some of the matches...it's early days yet to decide, I'll keep researching and planning! :wacko:

Mick B

Mick

If I am shooting where you go, which is likely, and you have S_I's and want to shoot high caps in Open or Limited you can borrow mine. Heck we can probably find something for any gun.

Edited by BSeevers

Wow, you should come this summer and shoot the Canadian Nationals in Vancouver 1-5 Aug then a quick jaunt down the coast to the Area 1 Champs in Washington State.

Two level three matches in two weeks. (1-12 Aug)

That's a brilliant vacation.

:D

Might I make a suggestion. Since you are traveling a great distance you could perhaps get two major matches in during a week.

Example:

Shoot the Summer Blast on Sunday 10 stages 250 rounds.

Travel to Vermont on Monday enjoy that great state for several days or any in between, shoot the Aware/Area 7 on Thursday and return home starting on Friday.

That would give you 19 stages somewhere around 450-470 rounds. The only other one that I can think of that would come close to that would be the Targeting Ed match which is 27 stages 400 rounds.

The Aware has been known for great stage art and the Summer Blast is known for stages that has 14 different ways to shoot them.

Check out the match picks at www.lchico.5u.com/blast

Just a thought!

Larry

Edited by sbmd