Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zeroing a C-More

Chris Leong

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Bump for this thread to say thanks to Jeff for making the spreadsheets. I've known about all of the factors, but never compiled them mentally to understand how they interact.

I had my zero set at 10 yards and it was too much work making the compensation for longer shots. So I re-zeroed at 20 yards, and now the shoots are easy to make out to 50 yards and I just aim 2" high for the up close ones. And now I can tweek these spreadsheets and go out with calculated data points to verify with empirical data (shooting)!

Even though I still have an upright mount on one of my open guns, I tried an old, Barry mount on the other open gun, and even though it is a PITA to sight in, with it set dead on at 50 yards, pretty much everything closer is somewhere in the dot. :surprise:

I just may have to change the mount on the other one. :cheers:

I have been shooting a S/V open pistol for 16 years. I have owned every dot that has been available looking for that extra edge. C-More is basically the best for me as I never had any trouble finding the dot and it always stayed true when sighted in. I have always sighted in at 15 yds. (1/2") groups then went back to about 40 yds and tried it. My pistol would rise about 3 or 4 inches at that distance. Main thing at that distance is the horizonal setting. It may shoot perfect at 10 to 15 yds (you think) but if you have to shoot the 50 yd. standards it may shoot 6" off to the right or left. Fine tune there and your in business.

Max TY-21921

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

I'm with the "short distance" zero theory. On thing, in addition to the other posts - after you zero at 10yds or so, try shooting off the "top of the dot" at 50. Often, it works out pretty cool. Because of the minds tencency to "center things," it feels easier to align something specific, like the top of the dot in the center of the target, as opposed to forcibly "holding low."

be

Brian, I need to give this a shot, pun intended. With the Nationals right around the corner and no telling what the stages might have I best practice up on everything. :cheers:

Joe W.

Hello: I shot my open pistol today. It is right on at 10 yards. 1" high at 25 yards and 3" high at 50 yards. That is with a Quinn II mount and a 12MOA dot standing up :surprise: It was even grouping 3" at 50 yards(Thanks G-Man). Thanks, Eric

That doesn't sound right to me.... You should see that much variation. It might have something to do with that big ass dot.... You shouldn't see more than an inch or two at those ranges.

JT

Edited by JThompson

JT: I was standing up with a breeze blowing behind me. I was very impressed since the last time I did this with another mount and could hardly hit the paper at 50 yards :roflol: It should be ready for nationals now. Thanks, Eric

Good luck Pal... let me know how it goes. :cheers:

JT

• 11 months later...

What do you mean shooting off the top of the dot? I've never used one before. Would you use the dot as a clock and use 12 o'clock??????? thanks.

At 50 yards, an 8 moa C-more is covering 4 inches of target. That's a pretty big aiming point. Use the very top of it (12 o'clock) as an aiming point instead of the whole thing.

• 2 years later...

Question for you Dot Gurus.

I'm going to mount a Delta Point 2 on an M&P 9mm CORE, so the dot to bore should be much less than the typical mounts used in Open. I'm going to be using MG 124 JHP and going for 1050-1100fps.

What is going to be my best zero? Going to shoot Steel Challenges and local USPSA, so seldom over 35 yards.

Thanks in advance

ZH

Edited by zhunter

• 4 months later...

I've read and heard of people that zero the dot at 50 yards

and then shoot off (Kentucky windage) for closer distances, and then some that zero at 25 and do the same for both closer and further.

I've also heard of people who zero in with a 4-MOA dot element and then switch back to the 8 or 10 for actual shooting.

Pros and cons? Favourite methods for zeroing?

The POI changes when you change the dot. I wish it didn't. Sight in with the dot size you are going to shoot.

Question for you Dot Gurus.

I'm going to mount a Delta Point 2 on an M&P 9mm CORE, so the dot to bore should be much less than the typical mounts used in Open. I'm going to be using MG 124 JHP and going for 1050-1100fps.

What is going to be my best zero? Going to shoot Steel Challenges and local USPSA, so seldom over 35 yards.

Thanks in advance

ZH

it's actually higher than people who mount the cmore slide rides on a 90 mount. with that mount the glass starts just a couple of mm over the slide and the dot is centered very low. even milled into the slide the delta point still has the sight body (between 1/4 and 1/2 inch from memory) before the glass starts. but yes, it is lower than a traditional upright mount but still not as much as you might think.

if you're shooting USPSA and SC I would suggest a zero around 20-25 yards is the best way to go. 20 is probably where I'd start.

Edited by BeerBaron

I zero mine at 25 yards, I run a traditional mount. After I zero at 25 I then shoot at 5, 10, 15, 20 to see where it hits. I am only about 1 inch low at 5 yards and about 1/2 inch low at 10.

Everything else is dead on.