Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is A G34 Really More Accurate Than A G17?

Cuz

I'm having trouble locating a G34 and am considering going for a G17 which seem to be more readily available. Is there really a big difference between the two? The barrel is 3/4 of an inch longer and it's got an extra inch of sight radius. Other than that, I can equip a G17 with the extended mag release and slide release if I want them, and I can also install a lighter trigger which gives me an identical frame platform as is on a G34. Should I forget about the G34 and just get the G17?

This gun will be used mostly for local plate shoots and may become a house gun if I ever get a new 1911 in 9mm to replace it. Other than that it will mostly just hang out in the safe just because I want to own a 9mm Glock.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

A longer sight radius makes it easier to hold the same level of accuracy compared to a shorter sight radius gun. It's a little moot at short distances but readily apparent at 25 yards +

It depends on what you want from the gun I guess, but the way I look at it is as a plus with no appreciable downside in comparison. You only draw once a stage, if that. You shoot at targets using the sights a whole lot more times than you draw. I'd go with the extra sight radius. It really won't hurt ya' and the next time you are on a long distance standards stage, you will be glad you have that extra bbl length ;-)

:blink: 18yds.? That's weird

I too am thinking G34. I have dies, bullets, powder, etc., and no "9" :(

I've been shooting a G35 handloaded for minor, but I may build it into a Limited gun, and replace it with a G34 for IDPA, and Production

You would be fine with a 17 though. Especially for the casual plate match, and house/safe gun.

BTW.....I know people who have gone from a 17 to a 34, or 22 to a 35, but usually not the other way around.

I don't understand the pointablity thing :unsure:

If that was the case with me I would just use my G27 for everything.

I mean....how many competeters chose a Commander, or Officers model size over the Govorment model?

:huh:

Edited by billdncn

Cheap factory rebuilds or police trade-ins are readily available for around $350 in G17. I've bought my 3 Glocks this way and they have been flawless (G17 for production, G22 for limited, G23 for defense.) Check Summit Gun Broker or CDNN. I like the way the shorter guns handle for me and they work well since most of what we shoot is inside of 25 yards. I shot a buddy's G35 and it seemed more "flippy" in recoil to me, but that could have been the loads.

I have both a G34 and G17's today I mainly use the G17 the G34 has been relegated to the safe. All of my non Open Glock's have Dawson Precision fiber optic adjustable sights, stainless guide rod and Vanek triggers but unfortunately if I use a magazine well (JP Enterprise) the G34 it will not fit in the IDPA box (ESP).

Seems like opinions are split just about down the middle. I do think I'd prefer the G34, but here in MA they are nearly impossible to come by. A G17 is easier and more readily available. The decision may be made based on which one I can actually get my hands on. I will wait on a G34 until my patience runs out, then buy a G17. Either way I'll have a Glock 9mm which is what I want for no real reason other than I don't have one.

-Cuz.

I prefer the 17. I have owned and shot both, but the 17 just feels better to me. With a good set of sights I don't notice much if any difference in ease of hitting at longer ranges, with big or stock sights the extra inch makes a HUGE difference though.

Yeah, sight radius IS important at longer distances. I could bang an 8" plate at 40-50 yards all day long with ease using my 17L (longer than a 34) when it had a big azz Wichita rear and a custom large blade front, but my G19 is a tough little mutha' to hold on a 25 yard 8" plate at the best of times let alone in a hurry.

I love my G34, but Chris Keen, and many others have made Master with a G17 (Chris' was a 2nd gen!) Shoot both if you are able to and get the one you dig the most.

Thats the thing though, and i've squaded with a few A/M/GM shooters in local matches. They don't seem to be at any disadvantage at all from what i can see with the 17. For now i'm sticking with my 17, because i really like and prefer the feel of it more than than my 34, even though its a workhorse and i love it.

I would just get the G17. I have a G34 and G17. The G17 points a little faster/better. You have to pay a bit more attention to sight alignment with the G17 than you do with the G34.

I did some testing a couple of months ago with my G17, G34 and G35. I shot 10 strings of fire with each gun. The stage was a simple no movement stage. I tossed out the best and worst string with each gun. I was a little suprised that after I added up the times and points down there was little if any difference bewteen all three.

Glock 17, the origional and still the best !!!

I have a 17, well because it is the origional, The 34 does have that nice extended mag release but that's cheap and easily changed. As is the 3.5# connector.

there is no accuracy difference. there is only sight radius. which with aftermarket sights doesn't really make that much difference.

I own and love my 17

:blink: 18yds.? That's weird

I too am thinking G34. I have dies, bullets, powder, etc., and no "9" :(

I've been shooting a G35 handloaded for minor, but I may build it into a Limited gun, and replace it with a G34 for IDPA, and Production

You would be fine with a 17 though. Especially for the casual plate match, and house/safe gun.

BTW.....I know people who have gone from a 17 to a 34, or 22 to a 35, but usually not the other way around.

I don't understand the pointablity thing :unsure:

If that was the case with me I would just use my G27 for everything.

I mean....how many competeters chose a Commander, or Officers model size over the Govorment model?

:huh:

I compared my 17 to my 34 for draw speed and accuracy from 7 yds to 25 yds roughly one to two yards at a time. At 18 yards is when I started seeing a difference . I guess it is wierd, but it is what I observed

MWS

I started USPSA and IDPA with a G-22 and a G-17...Both were great! I now shoot a 34 & 35....both are great! I like the 5in better personally.I guess its whatever works best for you. Some STI guys like 6in...most prefer the 5in...whatever floats your boat.Were talkn Glocks here....ya cant go wrong:)

The more I play this game the more I realize there is no magic gun. Went out yesterday to practice a little. Set up part of a stage we shot the day before. Had a popper in the center that activated a turner. A half target 10 yds to the right of the popper and another full target 10 yds to the left of the turner.

In other words from left to right full target, turner, popper and half target. Pretty good practice stage. You had to be really quick to get the popper, 1/2 target then back to the turner before it turned away.

I shot my Kimber .40, STI 2011 in .40 and my Kimber 45ACP ESP gun. All were loaded to about a 130-135 PF. Fired 6-8 strings with each gun. Totaled up the times and points down. Totals were almost identical.

I happened to have my Glock 35 with me. Shot 6 strings with it. Guess what - same scores.

I should probably just sell the STI 2011 and the Kimber .40 and stick to Glocks.

Thanks for all the input. I ended up getting a G17 because that was what was available. Now I need to change the sights and I'd like to install a 3.5lb connector to lighten the trigger a bit while still maintaining 100% reliability.

-Cuz.