Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is A G34 Really More Accurate Than A G17?

Cuz

Cuz I knew you were from ma. based on your opening post. For the rest of you enjoying your choices, in mass we can only buy glocks made before 1998. A USED G34 costs around $900 !! Thats the price when they ( very rarely) are on the market.Cuz I shoot at Braintree where do you shoot?

L12S,

Roger that on the G34 prices. I just couldn't see spending an extra $250 to go from a G17 to a G34. Instead, I bought a G17 and installed Dawson Precision sights on it which I like very much. I wish it were a few ounces heavier but a brass magwell will take care of that if I so desire. While I live in southeastern MA, virtually all my shooting is done in RI. During the warmer months I shoot Pin or Plate matches twice a month and USPSA twice a month. Things slow down for me in the Winter, but if your interested, shoot me a pm and I'll provide scheduling info and locations. There's a range in Foxboro I've recently started shooting at that does an excellant job putting on action pistol matches. They will shoot outdoors thru the winter.

The Braintree club is nice. I shot there once when I met a member there to purchase a gun from him.

-Cuz.

If the sight radius doesn't make much difference between a 17 & a 34, why don't more people use a 4 1/4 barrel commander than the 5" gov? Should be faster but people in the know alway's use a 5".

+1 This is what I had to say back on Dec.9th

I don't understand the pointablity thing

If that was the case with me I would just use my G27 for everything.

I mean....how many competeters chose a Commander, or Officers model size over the Govorment model?

If the sight radius doesn't make much difference between a 17 & a 34, why don't more people use a 4 1/4 barrel commander than the 5" gov? Should be faster but people in the know alway's use a 5".

BH,

All things being equal I would certainly choose the G34 over the G17. When forced to make a decision between not being able to find a G34, or having to pay $250 more than the cost of a G17 if you can find one, I rationalized that the slight increase in sight radius wasn't worth the extra money or aggravation. I've had my G17 for less than 2 weeks and have already put 1000 rounds thru it. That's much more fun than wishing I could find a G34. You guys that don't live in MA don't know how lucky you are...

-Cuz.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot a G17 in Prod, but a G35 in LTD. The sight radius is not an issue for me. The reason I shoot a G35 in LTD is because it's a lot easier to make major with the 5". It's not an issue shooting Prod/minor.

YMMV

Benny, I suspect it is more of a recoil issue with a 1911 than with a 9mm Glock. A G17 costs me $389 vs $489 for a G34. At the typical IDPA distances it is pretty much a toss. I have a G17 that I have shot a few matches with. Did not notice much difference.

I actually did a test a couple of months ago with a G17 vs G34 vs G35. All were loaded to a 128-134 PF. Set up a simple stage and shot it numerous times with each gun. Tossed out the best and worst time with each gun. When I added up the times and points down with each gun I found the scores to be virtually identical.

Benny, I suspect it is more of a recoil issue with a 1911 than with a 9mm Glock. A G17 costs me $389 vs $489 for a G34. At the typical IDPA distances it is pretty much a toss. I have a G17 that I have shot a few matches with. Did not notice much difference.

I actually did a test a couple of months ago with a G17 vs G34 vs G35. All were loaded to a 128-134 PF. Set up a simple stage and shot it numerous times with each gun. Tossed out the best and worst time with each gun. When I added up the times and points down with each gun I found the scores to be virtually identical.

Wow. I would like a G34 for less than $500. Where are you finding them for that price?

The reason I shoot a G35 in LTD is because it's a lot easier to make major with the 5".

That's what I'm wrestling with. With jacketed bullets, it's tough to make major with the common Titegroup loads I've seen posted out here. Coated bullets will do it a lot easier. I just picked up a bottle of N320 to see if I can work up a softer shooting load that makes major by a comfortable margin. I've got a KKM barrel that seems to run a tad slower than the stock for me. I went with the G22 because it was a cheap way for me to start playing in Limited (factory refurb gun I bought for like $365 with 3 mags.) I'm wondering if I should have held out for a G35, but I do like the overall feel of the G22 in my hands.

The reason I shoot a G35 in LTD is because it's a lot easier to make major with the 5".

That's what I'm wrestling with. With jacketed bullets, it's tough to make major with the common Titegroup loads I've seen posted out here. Coated bullets will do it a lot easier. I just picked up a bottle of N320 to see if I can work up a softer shooting load that makes major by a comfortable margin. I've got a KKM barrel that seems to run a tad slower than the stock for me. I went with the G22 because it was a cheap way for me to start playing in Limited (factory refurb gun I bought for like $365 with 3 mags.) I'm wondering if I should have held out for a G35, but I do like the overall feel of the G22 in my hands.

I used to shoot LTD with a G22. I like to run around a 169-170 PF just to be on the safe side. With the G22, I ran a 180 Zero JHP over 4.7 grains of Titegroup.

I can drop the load down to 4.4 grains of Titegroup with my G35. That load is noticably softer. :)

Edited by chp5

I haven't tried Zero's yet, but Precision Delta jacketed only gets about 163 PF with 4.7 of Titegroup in my G22 and I don't really want to push it any higher with that powder. Precision coated bullets get around 168 PF with 4.4 of Titegroup. The barrel gets a little gunked up though, so I'm going to try N320, in case it's just due to the heat of Titegroup.

I don't own a Glock but if I were to buy one it would be the G34

Much has been said about the longer sight radius and added muzzle weight.

Both are a definate advantage.

The G34 doesn't clear the holster as quickly but that is a minor issue in the scheme of things.

However, there is another reason to go for the longer barrel.

You mention using it as a house gun.

The 9mm is a smaller, lighter slug as compared to a 40 or 45.

For a self defense load with a smaller bullet, velocity is paramount.

A longer barrel will produce higher velocity and therefore more energy.

I'd think that's pretty important when the shooting is no longer a game.

Tony