National Match Survey Results

Chills1994

299 shooters total.

100 used Glocks

102 used 1911's of some sort

97 used something other than Glock or 1911

138 used a 9mm

93 used a .45

68 used something other than 9mm or .45, .45 GAP .40SW .38 sup/spec .357mag .44spec

Of the 97 who did not use a Glock or 1911, S&W benefited the most with 47, followed by XD's at 15. The rest: Beretta 8, CZ and Tan. 4 each, SIG 2, H-K 1.

Discuss!

Pity you can't tie the guns to the scores and show what is BEST.

Otherwise it is either a triumph of marketing - over 2/3 of the shooters in two platforms - or a case of success gets copied - or a case of herd mentality.

Remember, a lot of those S&Ws were the lion's share of the Revolver Divisions. Just a couple of Pythons.

Just a couple of Pythons.
And that was two more than anyone expected. Definitely good for max style points, though. :)

As for the 1911/Glock dominance thing, they're also the platforms for which the max amount of aftermarket stuff is available, so the cycle kinda feeds on itself.

My perception is that shooters tend to want to shoot what the winners shoot. Most of the winners are factory sponsored, like Dave Sevigny, so they get (in this case) a Glock, or a 1911 like TGO shoots.

I think that S&W M&Ps will be making serious inroads, mainly among Glock shooters who are finding that you don't have to put up with the lousy ergometrics (sp?) to get short trigger travel and reliability.

yep, I am thinking that too Revchuck, that the S& W M & P is going to gradually get a respectable "market share" in IDPA competions. It really does seem that the Glock (especially the 17 and 34) is THE SSP gun.

(On a different note, has anybody created a pronouncable acrononym for the S & W M & P? Can we just call it the SWAMP for short? Or about "the MILPOL"?)

I know way too much about the "Human Factors" of design. It is called "ergonomics", which in part relies heavily on "anthropometrics." That's just a fancy way of saying body part dimensions. Whole books of categorized data have been published on the subject. The data is broken down into percentiles like 95th percentile male, 50 percentile male, and then 5th percentile female. The crux is trying to make something to accomodate or adjust to a large range of measurements.

I think the SWAMP/MILPOL is ergonomically designed with the interchangeable backstraps and ambidexterity of some controls.

Chills1994 (that's me) originally cut and pasted here to kick this whole thread off:

....102 used 1911's of some sort....

I'm not all up on the STI and/or SVI product line, too which I assume an Infinity belongs, so as far as know an Infinitiy is a type of 1911 platform.

I might be wrong, or the guy who originally posted this in Sig forum might be wrong too, so YMMV.

Either way, the info I just posted is, well... you got what you paid for. Caveat emptor!

Enjoy!

(Oh and congrats to Taran Butler for winning ESP Master with an Infitity in .40)

Edited by Chills1994

Pity you can't tie the guns to the scores and show what is BEST.

Otherwise it is either a triumph of marketing - over 2/3 of the shooters in two platforms - or a case of success gets copied - or a case of herd mentality.

Remember, a lot of those S&Ws were the lion's share of the Revolver Divisions. Just a couple of Pythons.

I doubt tying the scores to the guns would be a true indication of whats best. I shoot good equipment but get my ass handed to me by guys shooting crap. I dont pretend to EVER think I can buy my way into higher scores. I just like nice stuff if I can afford it.

My perception is that shooters tend to want to shoot what the winners shoot. Most of the winners are factory sponsored, like Dave Sevigny, so they get (in this case) a Glock, or a 1911 like TGO shoots.

Worth noting that Dave Sevigny shot Glocks for years before being factory sponsored. I've interviewed Dave, and the fact is he just fixated on Glocks early on in his shooting career because they're what he truly likes shooting the best.

I believe that when a shooters time, money and effort are on the line they want to shoot what they "believe" will give them the best results, for most that happens to be Glock and 1911. I use something else.

The Glock vs 1911 debate never stops or even slows down.

I vote for both.

I shoot a 2011 in competition because I love the trigger.

IMHO, there's nothing like a well tuned 1911 trigger.

However, It wouldn't be my first choice for a carry gun.

I want my carry gun ready to shoot the moment I wrap my hands around it.

It's reasonable to assume I wouldn't be reaching for it except in dire circumstances.

I expect adrenaline to be coursing through my veins like a white hot magnesium flare.

I'm not comfortable carrying cocked and locked.

I don't want to take the time to rack the slide.

I don't want to have to deal with an external safety.

Better to be focused on the threat and not the gun.

That's why I carry an XD 9mm service model.

I never cared for feel of a Glock, but I wouldn't hesitate to carry one if I didn't already have an XD.

Haven't tried the S&W yet but I hear good things about it.

Each style has redeeming qualities and I want to use whatever fits the situation best.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

You gotta go with what feel comfortable to you, no matter what anyone else says. It's worth pointing out though that if you you use a straight thumbs grip that rides the shooting hand thumb on top of the safety lever, manipulating the thumb safety adds zero time to your draw stroke, and requires zero conscious thought to manipulate the safety from Safe to Fire. Instead the thumb safety just comes off automatically (pun intended) from your hand position.

You gotta go with what feel comfortable to you, no matter what anyone else says. It's worth pointing out though that if you you use a straight thumbs grip that rides the shooting hand thumb on top of the safety lever, manipulating the thumb safety adds zero time to your draw stroke, and requires zero conscious thought to manipulate the safety from Safe to Fire. Instead the thumb safety just comes off automatically (pun intended) from your hand position.

Duane I agree with you 100%.

When I shoot in competition, taking the safety off is second nature.

I'm not even aware I'm doing it.

However, I'm not sure it would be quite so effortless when facing someone who's about to part my skull with a hollow point.

That will flat out rattle some people.

I'd just as soon take the safety out of the equation.

That way I only have to worry about changing my shorts.

Tls

• 3 years later...

However, I'm not sure it would be quite so effortless when facing someone who's about to part my skull with a hollow point.

It's not a matter of being rattled or not rattled. It's a matter of the way you grip the gun, every time, automatically depressing the thumb safety from Safe to Fire. It's not something you have to remember to do.

It's not a matter of being rattled or not rattled. It's a matter of the way you grip the gun, every time, automatically depressing the thumb safety from Safe to Fire. It's not something you have to remember to do.

Well, Duane... assuming the timestamps are correct, nobody can accuse you of posting a hasty reply to this one :devil: