Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Wheel Gun Is Everybody Using, & What Caliber?

XAFSP

most everyone here is using a smith&wesson in 45acp. some are the older 25-s' and some are the newer 625-'s. i am using a 4 inch 625-8JM. i dont think i would buy the jm series again, but i do like the grip on ocassion.

there are a few rebels here who shoo thte smith 610s in 10mm/40s&w. i dont know much about them besides i have been lusting for one for about 8+years. now i will have to pay a whole bunch more money for one.

Brett

I guess I'm a rebel. I regularly discourage people from buying a 610 (I shoot one because that's what I bought years ago) and instead recommend a 5" 625. Everything about the two guns are the same except the 625 costs less and the reloads have an edge (less material between chambers = less chance of interference).

I guess I'm evan further out there. I use a 686 S&W with 38 specials and speed loaders in USPSA and a 38 Super S&W eight shot Randy Lee gun with Tasco PDP 3 for Open in ICORE.

Just got back home from the '06 USPSA Nationals, and can accurately report that virtually everybody was shooting a 5" 625.

A few 25-2s were mixed in, along with a 610 or two.

No minor calibers were present this year, although I sure would like to know where Bubber and his 686 would have finished!

If I remember correctly there were at least 2-3 610's (Gary Cuttitas, Brett Starns, and I think Steve Lowe), 2 25-2's (Sam Carmoney & Pat Sweeney), 1 686 in .38 Super (Bill Nesbitt), and 1 625 with a 6" blue 25-2 barrel (John Bagakis). The rest were 625's, the majority with 5" tubes (myself included).

Well add me as a rebel. I shoot a 6.5" 610 Classic and will continue to do so until I might win myself a 625 based solely on merit. I was close at the ICORE picking up a 686+ but just missed it by a few places. There is always next year and I'm seriously going to make a run for several bigger matches as time and budget permits.

Vince

I have five revolvers all of which use moonclips:

S&W686 - 38 Super - 6 shot

S&W 687 - 38/357 - 8 shot

S&W 646 - 40 S&W

S&W 610 40 S&W

S&W 625 - 45 ACP

I enjoy shooting them all. In my hands the 625 makes for the speedier reloads, the 40 S&WE's or 38 Super are next in line, the 627 is the slowest to reload but has the advantage of two extra shots.

I have two S&W in .357 magnum, 586 and 686 (both 6") which are quite the same. But I've also shoot three matches with a 625 5". I think the difference in shooting is not that big (for me the frame is a little bit too big). But getting your ammo reloaded seems to be easier with the 625. So next life I'll be born with bigger hands and buy 625 B)

greetings Agnes

Just got back home from the '06 USPSA Nationals, and can accurately report that virtually everybody was shooting a 5" 625.

A few 25-2s were mixed in, along with a 610 or two.

No minor calibers were present this year, although I sure would like to know where Bubber and his 686 would have finished!

Add a few more 25-2's Kevin Klesser, myself and at least one more

Much to the amusement of my fellow competitors, I shoot a S&W Model 13 with a 3" barrel. It's wearing a nifty set of Craig Speigel boot grips and rests in a Bladetech belt holster. I shoot .38 special ammo and use Comp III speedloaders. I bring a whole new meaning to the word SLOW in the world of USPSA. Of course, I've shot ICORE and Steel Matches with this revolver also. I have alot of fun :D .

I have the following:

625-8 5" (main gun, hope to ship to Randy some day)

625-3 5" (backup gun)

610 4" (gun I started with bought it back from the guy I traded with, reason the -8 hasn't gone to Randy)

686 4" (six shot in case I decide to play IDPA)

I've been shooting a 625-3 for the last couple years but started playing around with my 646 again because I like the way it handles. I worked up some 175 PF loads using Berrys 180 RN and WSF that aren't bad to shoot.

Jerry

I’m only shooting Steel at this point, but I use my 5-inch 625-2 on a fairly regular basis and also have an old 5-inch 610 that comes out to play when I’m able to get around to loading some 40 S&W ammo for it.

I’ve not heard of this 686 shooting 38 Super in moon clips, don’t mean to hijack, but can someone point me in a direction to learn more about this creature.

I pretty much stick to IPSC with an occasional ICORE jaunt, though may just have to go out to CA. for the IRC next year.

Right now it's a PC625 5" (short cylinder, undercut barrel) has a Randy Lee Action Job & I've already replaced the Extractor Star and retimed it once.

From 2002 to 2004 I used a S&W M29 4" with .44 Russians and a Moonclip Conversion to get classified in the Revolver Division in IPSC.

Still have the M28 6" .357 Magnum I used to get classified in the then new Limited Division in the early '90's (it was my only Iron Sighted Handgun).

Still have the Iver Johnson Sealed 8 4" .22LR that I dryfired to pieces in the early '70's (Hey I was only 15).

Still have the Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .45 Colt, used with 180+PF loads (no puff pieces allowed) for CAS in the '80's, before SASS.

Jeez looking at it I have 6 Revolvers to 3 Semi-Autos, and I've been shooting competitively since '78. It seems the auto's come and go, but I hang on to the Revolvers forever. And the revolvers are the ones I regret selling.