Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Okay it's true...lighter IS better!

Jeff Matzka

Okay, I've been reading the threads here with great interest. After reading of the advantages of a lighter weight recoil spring and how it helps the sights get back on target quicker, I just had to try it and see for myself. I had been using a 19 lb. mainspring and 18.5 lb. variable rate recoil spring. I swapped them out for a 15 lb. mainspring (may as well go all the way!) and a 12 lb. conventional recoil spring, and headed to the range. By the way, I'm shooting a Para P14-45 with Bar-sto match barrel and Comonoli Tungsten Framesaver guide rod. 230 grain FMJ's loaded to about a 168 P.F.

Holy ****, what a difference! My follow up shots were much faster, and scored far better than I've ever been able to before. With my old setup, I would have had to "double-tap"(gasp!) to go as fast as I did today shooting "aimed-pairs". Needless to say, with double taps, frequent misses occur. Today, I was 100% on target.

I'm so pleased with the new setup, I'm wondering if going even lighter on the recoil spring would be even better!

(Edited by SuperGlider at 11:30 am on Dec. 26, 2001)

Using my SS 45 I've been slowly creeping down my recoil spring rate...started at a 18.5 and just this weekend I went from a 14 to a 12.5 (all conventional springs), all I can say is BIG difference.  The front sight moves around a lot less.  I can't wait to shoot this spring rate some more.  Maybe my next stop will be 11 lb.

Superglider, did you experience any malfunctions?

Bill, I'm happy to report "0" malfunctions so far. Just for the heck of it, in addition to the FMJ RN's, I ran some 185 grain Jacketed SWC's through it. No malfunctions at all, but with the SWC's, I could feel a slight "bump" as the nose hit the feedramp. The round-nose bullets were, of course, smooth as silk. I may try a lighter spring, say 11 and 10 lbs., just to see if there's any further improvement. But, if I had to, I wouldn't mind shooting with this 12 lb/ setup at all. Reliability is the most important thing to watch out for, as Kevin pointed out - so before I shoot a match with any of these setups, I'll be at the range practicing for a while. I'll give the gun every chance to fart on me BEFORE I risk match performance.

Gosh, I still can't wipe the smile off my face!  Woo-hoooo!

(Alright, I'm getting carried away now.)

(Edited by SuperGlider at 10:53 am on Dec. 24, 2001)

• 1 year later...

Probably, it’s too late to express what I think. My experience was totally difference from you guys, I found that when I used light spring, let say 11 lbs., my score turn out badly and also got some kind of armache. So the recoil spring that I put in my PARA P-14 is 18. I believe that the proper spring weighted for one might not fit to another due to personal strength, weight, height, and so. I am 5’ 6” and 126 lbs., quite handsome right? If you are big guy the lighter one seem OK for the job, but if you are so skinny like me, the heavy one is the best. The fact is the lighter spring, the faster cycle time but absorb less energy and throw much of the recoil energy to your arms.

Any way, if we talk about Open Gun, that’s the totally different reason.

One of our homeboys had a new recoilmaster installed for the 3gun Nats and FGN. During 3 gun he realized he was slightly dragging the slide with his thumb resulting in jamming up the gun. The rest of the two matches part of his LAMR was applying vasoline to his thumb. And yes, as friends we did our part, kidding him unmercifully. :lol:

The new RM's aren't supposed to break. My old one crapped out at the MASC. Luckily it didn't tie up the gun. Found it when I went to send it back for replacement with the NEW Improved properly heat treat type. They are great as long as the don't break.

• 2 months later...

So I have a question that MIGHT be off topic in that it isn't about competition guns/ammo, and if such is the case I apologize.

QUESTION: What recoil spring weight do you folks recommend for a basically stock, government-size, 1911 with 5-inch barrel, all steel gun, shooting 230 grain FMJ (Hardball). Do you recommend the lighter springing you speak of in the prior posts? If so, HOW LIGHT?

Please advise. Thank you in advance for any illumination you can offer an OLD FASHIONED shooter with old fashion ideas on 1911s but is eager to LEARN.

Jeffro (Jeff)

Lighter yet!

I just install a 10# recoil spring in my stock sti edge. Power factor is 152+- and the sights return to the point of aim with little recoil or flip. The set up works fine with a 12# at 167pf. No buffer and no slide damage after 1500 rounds. Love the load. 4.1 tight group under 180 Montana gold & 4.4 under the same for major @ 1.185oal / Old John

I just switched to a 8# ISMI recoil spring after using a 9# for a year. I only shot around 400 rounds with it, but I swear there's a big difference. I also tried the recoil master and didn't like it. However, I will give it another try during the winter. Has anyone else noticed a big difference going 1lb lighter? BTW this is an Open SV gun with a 200 red shock buff. :o

Since getting my open gun back I have tried a lot of different loads as wells as springs. While searching the forums one of BE posts stood out. Use the lightest possible spring and still get 110% reliability. He also spoke of using two shock buffs. So after trying a bunch of springs the one I like the best is an 8lb ISMI with a red Heit (spelling?) buff, the thick one, I think it is a .200. Guns feels great and if I don't try and steer the gun I can get damn good splits (almost touching) at 10 yrds. Hmmm, and just last year I put in a post that I didn't like the lighter springs better...go figure, we are always learning, or should be.

QUESTION: What recoil spring weight do you folks recommend for a basically stock, government-size, 1911 with 5-inch barrel, all steel gun, shooting 230 grain FMJ (Hardball). Do you recommend the lighter springing you speak of in the prior posts? If so, HOW LIGHT?

With my 170 pf match loads, I run a Wolff 12-pound varaible power recoil spring and 17-pound hammer spring. For my Federal 230-gr. Hydra Shok carry ammo, I switch to a 14-pounder, also variable.

Strangely enough, I was experiencing a few malfs with my 1911 recently. Traced it to a totally shredded Shok Buff. It's amazing the gun worked as well as it did. Did give me a reactionary fear of Shok Buffs, though. I realize that's my fault, not the part's, but still.... So I decided to shoot the gun for awhile without a Shok Buff. I've never done this before. Holy crap! Much less perceived recoil. I now realize, once it's gone, there was a really nasty secondary recoil impulse as the slide reached the rear of its travel. The slide was hitting the Shok Buff. No Shok Buff, much less muzzle flip and a much softer shooting gun. Truth is stranger than fiction.

DT, so you're running a 12#'er with 170PF loads and no shock buff, right? How many rounds through this setup to date? No peening on the guide rod head or frame where the giude rod contacts?

I tried an 11#'er once in my 1911. When I try to jab the gun forward, I can actually move the slide rearward (maybe even chamber a round this way if i can just jab hard enough. :lol: ) You guys using even lighter springs, is this weird feeling something that you need to get used to? Even the cycling seems funny, though there were no malf with this setup, I can feel the slide hit the round just before chambering it.

sti rm with light spring setup as purchased ,shortened slide with titanium comp,the larger recoil spring weighs in at 6#,7.5 VV340,115 zero,wsr,supercomp cases,new,1.25 col,....the dot recovers faster and my double taps and shot to shots are faster than conventional one piece guide rod setup is..,works fror me,. will it last?......over5K so far,we"ll see. B)