Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Okay it's true...lighter IS better!

Jeff Matzka

sti rm with light spring setup as purchased ,shortened slide with titanium comp,the larger recoil spring weighs in at 6#,7.5 VV340,115 zero,wsr,supercomp cases,new,1.25 col,....the dot recovers faster and my double taps and shot to shots are faster than conventional one piece guide rod setup is..,works fror me,. will it last?......over5K so far,we"ll see.

You can run a much lighter spring in a compensated auto pistol than an uncompensated one.

I'm confused!!! :(

I agree with the light recoil spring recommendation, to me it feels as if the sights get on target quicker and the gun cycles faster.

However, I shoot a Colt Goldcup 45 (200 gr Precision RN, 4.9 gr's titegroup powder, 167 to 170 powerfactor) and the lightest spring I can run is around an 18 lb variable. This combination still launches the brass about 15 to 20 feet from the gun.

I've can't use shock buffs because they only last about 200 rounds since the inside of the dust cover has been chamfered which results in a very thin (knife edge like) cross section that contacts the buff and cuts right through it. Due to the high maintenance involved I won't use them.

Using a lighter recoil spring results in an indentation from the dust cover knife edge in the guide rod base (spring side). I presume this to be a bad thing, i.e frame battering??? Am I overreacting? :o I don't see any damage behind the guide rod base.

I know of one shooter with a 45 using a 12lb spring and two shock buffs. His gun does not cut up the buffs and it doesn't throw his brass a country mile away! The only thing I can come up with to explain the difference is the possibility that my slide and his are not the same weight.

Suggestions?

schoonie, does your 1911, by any chance, have an extended ejector?

Mine did and my brass was flying way to the poles also. When I filed down the ext. ejector (for an entirely different reason), I realized my brass were no longer flung as far away as it used to be.