Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poll: Preferred Powder For 230gr Fmj Or Jhp At 168-170pf

alzo

clays at 4.0 grains 230 berrys plated bullet 1.250 oal

Federal 150 primer.

Mixed brass (though its mostly winchester)

seems i shot 5000 rounds of clays loaded ammo without cleaning the gun...infact its still like it was and im not gonna clean it for a little while more.

harmon

• 3 weeks later...

4.0 grains of Clays with 230 grain rainiers works for me. Clays also smokes the least of anything else on the list with cast bullets.

N320 was good, but I felt stupid paying that much more for powder that gave me nothing that Clays wouldn't (except a hair more smoke).

4.1 gr. of Clays, with a 230 gr. Zero JHP or FMJ works great for me. I use a mixed bag of brass and Winchester or Federal LP primers.

I haven't tried any of the other powders based on what I've read on this forum. I am more than willing to accept the consensus of so many experienced reloaders and shooters.

While it wasn't listed as an option

I cast my vote for TiteGroup.

I load 230 grain FMJs over 4.5 grains of TG and love how it meters. Every time I get chronoed there is virtually ZERO variation.....from the 171 PF.

I cast my vote for other, as I like titegroup in my 45 loads....I was using 4.3-4.4grs in a 5" 625 revolver to make major with 230gr zero FMJ's

3.9-4.0grs to make major with 230gr LRN

Edited by robomanusa

OK guys, I am a tightgroup fan in just about everything 9mm, 40, 38 special (cowboy action) and 45acp ... with all of this talk about clays I am willing to try but I have a question, which one? I looked at midway and found: 1) Hodgdon Clays 2) Hodgdon International Clays 3) Hodgdon Universal Clays. Which one are y'all talking about? Thanks

Kyle

230 FMJ Round Nose (usually ZERO or WIN) 4.1 straight Clays

230 Plated RN (Ranier) 4.0 Clays

Both loads do about 170-175 Power Factor out of a variety of 1911's

I used to load 4.3 Grs of WST with a 230 Zero, but my chrono data was fluctuating below Power Factor if the weather was a little warm.

Edited by Rockchucker

I use titegroup in all of my 45 acp loads from 200 gr swc to 230 gr. fmj's.

Seems as though titegroup deserve to be named in the poll. I am curious out of the 23 "other " votes: how many are titegoup. Clays has a big lead in the poll though.

My vote was "other" -- titegroup

I'll be the Odd Ball here, but that's nothing new.

230 grn Jacketed 4.3 of Winchester Super Target (WST)

230 grn RNL 3.8 grains of WST

250 grn lead RNFP 3.4 grains WST

All make major. I have tried Bullseye for many years and was happy but it's dirty compared to the newer powders. V V is too expensive for me to justify it although it does have less recoil than Bullseye, in my perception. Clays didn't do what I wanted although a lot of people like it.