Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Thefts At O'hare

TSA what a hoax.

We were flying home from a memorial and they tried to take my buddies class a hat badge (no pointy things) which was in his carry on. When it was all said and done there were no problems but one poor idiot will never try to take a fireman's badge away anytime soon :P

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Federal LEO, so I get to by pass security as long as I know the special knock for the door and the special handshake.

I'm not allowed to go through a metal detector since the rocket scientists (aka TSA) would freak if they saw what was on my hip or in my bag.

On a lighter note, after 9/11 I was flying armed. I bypassed security with no problem but when I was boarding the plane, the airline staff said that I could not carry my knife.

Quote from the staff person "It does not matter that you are flying with a handgun, there are no sharp objects allowed."

My comment was "Do you realize that I am a LEO flying armed and so are the dozen or so men behind me?"

Staff: "It does not matter, sir. No sharp objects."

I lost a good Spyderco knife that day. And when I looked behind me, all my co-workers were stashing their knives deep into their pockets.

I love TSA!

Terry it makes me feel better to know you guys can fly armed.......I still go with 'an armed society is a polite society'.....though they made me take that off my screen saver at work...something about making my coworkers nervous :P

TSA what a hoax.

We were flying home from a memorial and they tried to take my buddies class a hat badge (no pointy things) which was in his carry on. When it was all said and done there were no problems but one poor idiot will never try to take a fireman's badge away anytime soon :P

Fireman's badge? Try Congressional Medal of Honor: http://www.snopes.com/military/medal.htm

TSA what a hoax.

Fireman's badge? Try Congressional Medal of Honor: http://www.snopes.com/military/medal.htm

I just read the article Rob linked. All I can say is )_(*- @_(*$#* P)*@#)(()*&$ )_(#*(*&@&($&& )#*(&^@^%%! )@#^^! <_< And I mean every )_#@*( word of that!

Edited to add.. Every single one of the TSA agents involved with that incident should have I AM A F*(#ING IDIOT! tattooed on their fore head.

Edited by Merlin Orr

I'm a Federal LEO, so I get to by pass security as long as I know the special knock for the door and the special handshake.

I'm not allowed to go through a metal detector since the rocket scientists (aka TSA) would freak if they saw what was on my hip or in my bag.

On a lighter note, after 9/11 I was flying armed. I bypassed security with no problem but when I was boarding the plane, the airline staff said that I could not carry my knife.

Quote from the staff person "It does not matter that you are flying with a handgun, there are no sharp objects allowed."

My comment was "Do you realize that I am a LEO flying armed and so are the dozen or so men behind me?"

Staff: "It does not matter, sir. No sharp objects."

I lost a good Spyderco knife that day. And when I looked behind me, all my co-workers were stashing their knives deep into their pockets.

I love TSA!

Terry it makes me feel better to know you guys can fly armed.......I still go with 'an armed society is a polite society'.....though they made me take that off my screen saver at work...something about making my coworkers nervous :P

If your co-workers don't like that, they definately wouldn't like mine.

My desktop background is a full screen picture of my Brazos Pro Sx.

My screen saver (which pops up when I am gone) says:

I couldn't come to work today.

The voices said "Stay home and clean the guns".

:ph34r:

Tls

I'm sorry, but any federal employee or even citizen who cannot at least vaguely recognize a medal of honor does not deserve the job or the right. I cannot tell you how pissed off this story makes me. I've seen one only one in person but I recognized it and I saluted, which should have been the proper response from the dolts at the TSA.

• 2 weeks later...

I fly ALL the time, but normally not with a firearm (although I do carry other dangerous items like toothpaste and deodorant :lol: ). Anyway, I'm flying to Aera 4 and have been catching so much grief about not shooting enough that I was comtemplating flying my gun down.

Not so sure now. This totally sucks... :angry:

Hi All,

I traveled through LAX-ORD-LAX for Area 5 last week and had zero hassle. The counter folks were pros, just filled out the card and I showed them the gun. Carried the bags over to the TSA folks ran the bags through the machines and wished me well. I flew America West (now US Air). As far as I could tell, there were no special markings on the luggage tags. They use terminal 2 at ORD.

For guns, I do what I always did for expensive scuba gear. I pack them in what turns out to be the crappiest hardshell suitcase on the turnstyle. Forget the Pelican cases, go to Goodwill or equiv, get crappy hardshell bags and put the Pelican cases inside. A little duct tape and twine will help the effect :P It may not be an option for long guns (perhaps a crappy golf bag?) but it seems to work (so far )

later,

Chuck

A snowboard bag would probably cover a rifle case.. They might wonder what you're doing going to Arizona with a snowboard in August, though I saw some a month ago going through Portland-- mmm.. year round skiing on Mt Hood..

I flew Southwest to Tenn Sec match and had no issues at all. Southwest was great about everything and the TSA at Tampa was pretty good, checking everything like they should and giving no other hassles other than that. They didnt mark the luggage or bag with anything that would make anyone think there was anything inside of it either.

Pretty impressed with Southwest as an airline and their service, plus the TSA at Tampa and Nashville.

For guns, I do what I always did for expensive scuba gear. I pack them in what turns out to be the crappiest hardshell suitcase on the turnstyle. Forget the Pelican cases, go to Goodwill or equiv, get crappy hardshell bags and put the Pelican cases inside. A little duct tape and twine will help the effect :P It may not be an option for long guns (perhaps a crappy golf bag?) but it seems to work (so far )

later,

Chuck

That's what we did. We bought a big hard sided suitcase from the Samsonite Outlet scratch & dent pile. The corner was cracked and it was scratched up pretty badly. Looked like it was one of the suitcases that the gorilla threw off of the car in the advertisement.

We took it home and bought some foam isulation board and glued it to the bottom and top inside then cut foam 2" that was purchased from the fabric store and put that on top of the board. BJ then took another 2" piece of foam and cut the shape of all our guns, mags, etc out. Then a 1 " piece of foam to secure everything.

In its current configuration the suitcase will hold two Open guns, a 1911/2011, a Glock, and a 2" J- frame (for areas where I can carry) and mags, timer, etc. in a very secure fit. A little duct tape on the broken corner and a big orange strap around the middle and we have the perfect stealth gun case, that is unless the TSA in LAX puts a big red "F" on the luggage tag after they run it through the X-ray :angry: .

Edited by TRNinTX

This does not make me feel good, my connection to Tulsa is Ohare. :angry: I'm not quite sure what I want to do it's only a 30 hour drive.

Green,

In booking a flight for Prod/Open Nats, I was picking between two flights, one was United flight thru/stopping/changing planes in O'hare on the way there and back. The other was American thru Dallas. I took the American thru Dallas just before I read this thread for the first time. Thank God I did.

This does not make me feel good, my connection to Tulsa is Ohare. :angry: I'm not quite sure what I want to do it's only a 30 hour drive.

Green,

In booking a flight for Prod/Open Nats, I was picking between two flights, one was United flight thru/stopping/changing planes in O'hare on the way there and back. The other was American thru Dallas. I took the American thru Dallas just before I read this thread for the first time. Thank God I did.

I dunno.. American's Dallas baggage handlers sent my Box-o-Glocks to Tokyo without me once.. ;)

Update: I still fly through there (and other places and foreign lands) with guns anyway.. Camouflage and a good locking system is where it's at.