Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Thefts At O'hare

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First: Sorry to Here about your Stuff Mat, Hope it shows up.

Second: Hence I will be DRIVING 14-16 hours from Texas to Area 2, so my gun is there when I need it. and I Don't have to put up with the "security" at the airport. (looking for someone to ride shotgun)

What did HLS just figure out they make expolsive in gels and liquid?

Edited by scorch

Very good friend of mine (Air Force Officer) bought 2 nice pocket knives for his boys while on a trip. On his return leg home he dropped the bag with the knives locked inside off at TSA security for x-ray. Got home and inside his locked bag saw a TSA form stating his bag had been inspected. The knives were missing. TSA refused to do anything. How can we trust these folks with our lives when we can't trust them with our stuff?...I know...One bad apple.....

HercPilot

Ask Burkett how many $200 Emersons TSA's stolen from him.... I think a 2 lock scenario like shred described would work best for the blades, too - ie, lock them to the suitcase itself. Then they have to purposefully cut open a lock, as well as open the suitcase.

This is starting to sound more like a pretty wide spread problem than a few isolated cases.

I can't believe that there aren't half a dozen LE agencies pursuing this aggressively.

The FBI routinely puts all my gun purchases on delay while they crawl up my butt with a microscope.

If they feel the need to do that, why aren't they more concerned when so many guns end up in the hands of "persons unknown" through baggage theft?

This is why I always drive to matches.

I know it is unavoidable for some people, particularly those competing overseas.

But if anyone wants my racegun, they are going to have to take it from me face to face.

Sorry for your loss Matt. I know that has to hurt!

Tls

Edited by tlshores

I hate flying with a firearm anymore. The risk is too high. Lately, I just FedEx the firearm. And no I do not declare it as a firearm with Fedex. Yes it is against their rules.

Careful. Failure to declare the firearm to a common carrier isn't just against their rules, it's also against federal law.

Then I have broke the law over 10 times this year. I never tell them it's a firearm. These guns were not being sold they were sent out for repair and or shiped to places that we were going to shoot at. My guns only flew with us once this year! One way then sent back with friends! I have a great fear of what happen to Matt! Sorry Dude that sucks! Fedex everything!

Then I have broke the law over 10 times this year. I never tell them it's a firearm. These guns were not being sold they were sent out for repair and or shiped to places that we were going to shoot at. My guns only flew with us once this year! One way then sent back with friends! I have a great fear of what happen to Matt! Sorry Dude that sucks! Fedex everything!

NEVER CONFESS! ;)

Edited by AikiDale

Matt, I really feel for you. It's like losing a loved one.

I'm glad this came out, since I was supposed to fly into O'Hare coming back from Area 2. Looks like I may change my plans.

But luckily I can fly as an armed LEO, so I can keep my baby under the seat in front of me.

Hopefully the individuals get caught and get a long sentence.

Terry

Matt, I hope you get your stuff back.

The Brazilian laws make us let the guns with the pilot or crew (instead of in the luggage). It means a little bit more of work since you have to fill out a form and spend some minutes doing the whole procedure. Other than that, it's safer because they give us a receipt where they write the gun's information (serial number, caliber, etc).

Last year, while flying back home from World Shoot XIV (Ecuador), a Standard shooter had this problem in a Copa Airlines' flight. The bastard opened the luggage carefully and took just the gun (even the case he/she let in the same place).

Okay, so on this note...

What is a good case that doesn't weigh down your luggage, is strong enough to stay locked, and is pretty much a pain to get into?

I have a an aluminum case that came with my Springer TGO1 but I think that can be easily busted into, but it's a lot better than a plastic case most guns come with.

Matt, I really feel for you. It's like losing a loved one.

I'm glad this came out, since I was supposed to fly into O'Hare coming back from Area 2. Looks like I may change my plans.

But luckily I can fly as an armed LEO, so I can keep my baby under the seat in front of me.

Hopefully the individuals get caught and get a long sentence.

Terry

Check the regs. I beleived TSA regulations prohibit armed LEOs from carrying firearms oboard anywhere other than on their person.

Check the regs. I beleived TSA regulations prohibit armed LEOs from carrying firearms oboard anywhere other than on their person.

Yes, they do. But I carry one on me and back up in my carry on. Luckily, the TSA and the airlines extend some courtesies to us.

I'm a Federal LEO, so I get to by pass security as long as I know the special knock for the door and the special handshake.

I'm not allowed to go through a metal detector since the rocket scientists (aka TSA) would freak if they saw what was on my hip or in my bag.

On a lighter note, after 9/11 I was flying armed. I bypassed security with no problem but when I was boarding the plane, the airline staff said that I could not carry my knife.

Quote from the staff person "It does not matter that you are flying with a handgun, there are no sharp objects allowed."

My comment was "Do you realize that I am a LEO flying armed and so are the dozen or so men behind me?"

Staff: "It does not matter, sir. No sharp objects."

I lost a good Spyderco knife that day. And when I looked behind me, all my co-workers were stashing their knives deep into their pockets.

I love TSA!

Edited by tnpyeron3