Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Dillon?

Ok right now I reload on a rbcs jr. Talking about time consuming. I don't mind it to much though as I'll do 500 rounds in stages depending on what I'm doing. Now where I'm shooting at least 1 IDPA and 1 IPSC match a month plus anything else the guys can drag me into and then practise rounds I would say I'm going to need to upgrade soon. I'm thinking between the 2 matchs thats at least 300 rounds for 2 weekends and then another 300+ for the other 2 weekends for practise thats only 600 a month I know but if I get a call to go to another match somewhere I'm sure I'll want to go and probbably will want to practise more.

Anyway I know I don't need the 1050, but 550 or 650 and whats the differance?

I went with the 500 to start. Nothing wrong with it but I have wished more than once I would have went to the 650. Of course I primarily load 2 calibers and load 1-2 thousand between setting up for the next run.

Now my big problem is upgrading to the 650 or going on to the 1050 since I have the 550 in reserve.

sigh

I went straight to the 650 for three simple reasons.

1. Powder check Die. You can't use it on the 550 because there are only 4 stations, and it really gives you peace of mind knowing you are not going to get a double charge or a no charge Squib.

2. Auto Indexing, this also helps to keep you from getting a double or no charge. All you have to do is pull the handle and set the bullet on top. It does not come with the case feeder by it's self, but it does come with the tube that goes up to the feeder and you can fit about 20 cases in there that will auto feed. I have my roommate keep my case tube full. B)

3. I learned a long time ago, if it is worth doing, it is worth doing right the first time. I decided I would rather spend the extra $100 or so to get the 650 I knew I would want later anyways. and caliber changes on the 650 are not difficult, especially if you are staying with the same size primers. I went from 9mm to .40 in about 30 min the first time cause I had to setup my dies. But I have two toolheads so next time it should take about 10 min.

I went straight to the 650 for three simple reasons.

1. Powder check Die. You can't use it on the 550 because there are only 4 stations, and it really gives you peace of mind knowing you are not going to get a double charge or a no charge Squib.

2. Auto Indexing, this also helps to keep you from getting a double or no charge. All you have to do is pull the handle and set the bullet on top. It does not come with the case feeder by it's self, but it does come with the tube that goes up to the feeder and you can fit about 20 cases in there that will auto feed. I have my roommate keep my case tube full. B)

3. I learned a long time ago, if it is worth doing, it is worth doing right the first time. I decided I would rather spend the extra $100 or so to get the 650 I knew I would want later anyways. and caliber changes on the 650 are not difficult, especially if you are staying with the same size primers. I went from 9mm to .40 in about 30 min the first time cause I had to setup my dies. But I have two toolheads so next time it should take about 10 min.

I would second this in spades!

Start with a 650 and you will never regret it. Caliber chages are very easy. it only takes a few minutes longer to change from small to large privers and you can load any pistol caliber and most of the rifle calibers you'd use in our sport, certainly .223 and .308.

The auto index and case feed are where the speed of loading comes in.

Get the roller handle and the stong mounts with bullet tray. Use the powder check die. It will save you in the long run.

The only reason to go to a 1050 is if you are going to load one caliber in very large quantities. It has a couple of nice features, but ease of change over is not one of them. You get primer pocket de-crip andsizing, and you get positive setting of the primer depth. there are no high primers on a 1050 IF you set up the system correctly.

The 1050 is probably not a good choice for a first progressive loader. One should be familiar with all of the ins and outs of loading on a progressive first. With any progressive you can make a lot of good ammo very quickly, BUT you can also make a lot of bad ammo just as quickly!

Jim

It would respectfully disagree about easy of changing calibers on the 1050. 10-15 minutes for a caliber change, the easy of reloading easily makes up for the few extra minutes. I change it up all the time and don't think twice. It does take some mechanical inclination, but you need to know what you are doing because you can really crank out the ammo as stated above.

I am NOT a fan of presses that do no auto index, so for me the 550 is out. The 650 is nice, but not a 1050 ;)

(Can you tell I love the 1050? Everything on the downstroke is awsome.)

Edited by Loves2Shoot

I have 2 1050`s 1 in 40 s+w and 1 in 38 sup. I also have my first reloader, a 550 with 11 tool heads!! :lol: by all means go with the 550 unless you only use 1 or 2 tool heads.

if you do get a 650, may as well go all the way and get top of the line..1050. i mean its only money!! LOL

Edited by COLD ETHYL

I'm with L2S. I think what I may end up with for high volume is two 1050's - one for each primer size. The 550 is a good machine, but the priming reliability isn't even in the same universe as the 1050....once you get the 1050 set up correctly.

For lower volume needs among lots of different calibers, the 550 is unbeatable. You can still load a year's worth of MOR ammo in a couple hours.

There are only three real machines...the SDB and the 550 and the 1050...the 650 is a wanna be 1050 that doesn't quite cut it...the 550 will do almost what the 650 does, but the 650 cannot do almost what the 1050 does.....

SDB for one specific caliber

550 for different calibers....moderate ammo amounts 500 an hour

1050..best with single caliber and lots of ammo per hour..

There are only three real machines...the SDB and the 550 and the 1050...the 650 is a wanna be 1050 that doesn't quite cut it...the 550 will do almost what the 650 does, but the 650 cannot do almost what the 1050 does.....

SDB for one specific caliber

550 for different calibers....moderate ammo amounts 500 an hour

1050..best with single caliber and lots of ammo per hour..

Succinctly (and correctly) said. B)

I would get a press that auto indexes (SDB or 650) and I would prefer the 650 for the powder check. For less than 1000 rounds a month, the SDB will do fine and the 650 will be great.

I would leave the 550 alone, because it lacks a powder check. It might work great for you, but I am easily distracted and kind of chaotic, so a press with no auto index and no powder check would be a big no-no for me. YMMV :)

I started with a SDB. Outgrew that after the second caliber swap, decided I wanted a casefeeder and sold it to get a 650. Loaded with that 650 for many years. Then a 1050 came along and the 650 got relegated to a dusty corner. Life was good.. all I ever loaded in any quantity of was Super (hit 100K rounds the other day..), with occasional batches of other stuff on the 650 as needed. Until recently a 9mm came along and needed to be fed.. a lot. I setup the 650 and loaded a few hundred. Looking at loading another 1600 over a week or two, I tore down the 1050 and converted it to 9 for a week. Given the hassle of conversion vs ease-of-cranking-mass-quantity, that was the right choice. Now that I have it converted back, I"ll probably use the 650 for 9 in hundreds-size batches, and switch for thousands-size batches.

I 100% agree with the advise that you should only get a SDB if you have tried it somewhere, and like it. I started out with a SDB, didn't know what else there was, so I didn't know any better. Used it for 38sp/357m and 44m. Until a 308 came along, and I got the 550. I recently got the 44 conversion for the 550 (SDB small primers, 550 large primers), and it makes a world of difference. I like the position of the handle better, and it takes way less force to operate it. The auto-index makes the stroke of the SDB less smooth, which can cause spilling with full house loads. The 550 has way more room for your hands to seat the bullet. IMHO the ease of operation easily outweighs the manual index. Don't get me wrong, the SDB does it's job, and fast. I just think the 550 is more pleasant to operate. And, if back then there would have been internet for a bit of "research", I would have skipped both and got a 650. In fact, I still want one.

I would skip any press that doesn't auto-index. While I'm sure some guys are fast with it, the same guy will be even faster with an autoindexing press.

The SDB was my first and I think it's a great press, with the limitation that you can't load anything but the fairly large selection of pistol calibers offered for it.

I upgraded to the 650 and finally had my first "big" batch of ammo with it, 1k rounds of .44 Magnum. I was pretty shocked to get it all done in 2 hours, including stopping to fill primer tubes, retrieving the final batch of cases from the tumbler and lubing them. The SDB would have taken me easily another hour.

I personally would get a 650 and the Dillon primer tube filler machine. I think it would make you faster in the long run than a 1050 for less money.

I personally would get a 650 and the Dillon primer tube filler machine. I think it would make you faster in the long run than a 1050 for less money.

Huh? If you have a 1050 you probably have a primer filler, or two. Punching primers is evil.

Huh? If you have a 1050 you probably have a primer filler, or two. Punching primers is evil.

Nope. :P

Did I mention filling tubes is evil, unless you have child or wife who like filling them?

No probs with a RF100 :) and in combination with that my 650 rocks since 1998, cranking out rounds in .38 Super, .40S&W and .30M1 Carbine!

Edited by schmitz

Ok right now I reload on a rbcs jr. Talking about time consuming. I don't mind it to much though as I'll do 500 rounds in stages depending on what I'm doing. Now where I'm shooting at least 1 IDPA and 1 IPSC match a month plus anything else the guys can drag me into and then practise rounds I would say I'm going to need to upgrade soon. I'm thinking between the 2 matchs thats at least 300 rounds for 2 weekends and then another 300+ for the other 2 weekends for practise thats only 600 a month I know but if I get a call to go to another match somewhere I'm sure I'll want to go and probbably will want to practise more.

Anyway I know I don't need the 1050, but 550 or 650 and whats the differance?

There's a lot of great input in this thread from members with various degrees of experience.

I normally don't recommend the 650 unless you are running approx. 1500 - 2000 rounds/month, steady. And you didn't say if you'd read my Which Dillon? article (which is linked in the pinned threads at the top of the Dillon Forum). Although, from the thread's title, I'm guessing you did.

Give me a call and we'll figure it out.

be

(877) 219-5598

;)