Pistol Shooters And Knives

SRT Driver

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I carry _two_ knives on my person on a regular basis. A swiss army knife (champion) and a spyderco delica. They see use on a weekly, if not daily basis.

However, I do think that there is quite a bit of "cool" factor in the knife industry. There are plenty of fancy, expensive knives out there that, in my opinion, don't offer much more in terms of utility than the lower-middle price range offerings.

Respectfully,

Mark Kruger

P.S. I also carry _two_ flashlights, a Surefire E2e and a Photon Microlight... :)

I started carrying a knife when I was 12, almost 20 years before I started routinely carrying a pistol. Currently I have a nice Boker assisted opening knife (OK, switchblade! in some jurisdictions) that a fellow IPSC shooter brought me from a business trip to Germany. It's not on display. It rides in the bottom of my pocket.

Mine get used. Definitely not ornamental. :D

Edited by ima45dv8

I started carrying a knife well before I even had my first gun. I'm sure it's the same for most of us.

Here you can read about my evolution with blades.

B)

Edited by Nemo

"when i run dry and still have a target untouched, the knife goes into action" that is if the backup jams on me " mall ninja :)

I have a folder that i use for cutting and prying. The latter is a bad idea, borke my benchmade at the tip for this stupid stunt :(

Edited by Jasonub

I've always carried knives. Still do. Have three or four practical multi-blade folders. Also have two flashlights... one a Streamlight, one a Digilight. I use the light and the knife all the time for any number of things. Truly they are essential TOOLS. B)

Yes, they can be very "cool", too, but even my "illumination tool" fanatic friends use their lights (and knives) for very practical situations as well. ;)

a long long time ago, the pocket folder was required competitor jam-clearing equipment. Rules have changed since then, and I can't even recall a knife-requiring jam from anybody on my squad in the past several years either..

I use mine everytime I help setup and tear down stages.

I shot a 3-gun match last weekend and never saw so many knives used by shooters on one particular stage. You had to use a supplied Remington 700, in .223, to finish up a stage and shoot 5 small clays at 50 yards. (with only 5 rounds) The only problem was that the gun was not ejecting or extracting, or some combination of both. It was the match directors rifle and when he ruled that rifle malfunctions were your problem and there would be no reshoots I saw lots of shooters whip out their trusty knives and dig into this rifle to clear double feeds, failures to eject/extract. Needless to say they didn't exactly treat the gun like it was theirs. :blink:

Started carrying a knife consciously when I was racing big sailboats. Not only useful, but life-saving, in a number of instances. Have carried one constantly (a Spyderco, normally, these days) for pretty much the last 30 years, feel "not completely dressed" without one. It gets daily use.

Bruce

Ever notice that most pistol shooters have a knife in their pocket.

But, how many actually use them? Seems like most never see the light of day.

Or are they ornamental due to the big $$$ some spend on them?

Just wondering.

Better to have one and not need it...than the other way around... :P

I'm a computer geek who sits at a desk all day... My flashlight and leatherman are with me every day... You would be surprised at how many times I have had to use either or both as a desk jockey! Like others have said knifes are just tools. :lol:

Ira

I'm a computer geek who sits at a desk all day... My flashlight and leatherman are with me every day... You would be surprised at how many times I have had to use either or both as a desk jockey! Like others have said knifes are just tools. :lol:

Ira

Ditto. In fact the only time i usually don't have a knife on me is when shooting a match as I keep mine in a sheath and it goes in the bag with the dailywear belt.

The flashlight is WAY more useful than it seems. People ALWAYS think i'm strange for having it on me, even after they have borrowed it for the 100th time.

The leatherman sees daily use at a minimum.

I carry my Spyderco Native everywhere every day and use it several times a day because it's very hard to open boxes with my guns without distroying the contents.......And forget about cleaning my fingernails with them.

I carry a small Gerber with a partially serrated blade. It fits nicely in the flashlight pocket of my 5.11 shorts, along with the Surefire G2 Nitrolon, of course. I use the knife pretty much every day, the light much less often, but I don't go anywhere without both.

Arnie

I carry two Benchmades, a Surefire L4 LED, and a Gerber Multiplier all the time. When fixing machine tools I'll use just about all of them. Actually the second Benchmade is for when the first won't cut cardboard boxes open anymore.

Just a word of advice, if you have a knife with the black teflon coating, be carefull cutting carpet. It may screw up the coating.

Edited by Huston in Austin